Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Make sure you're getting plenty of walking in as well - Beachy Head will inevitably mean some walking sections and I always find a nice walk after a run is ideal recovery. It's nice and slow and allows your muscles to be working at low effort for an extended period of time. [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is a passionate advocate of a good walk in a training cycle, and that's a man who knows about long distance events! Beachy Head is a beautiful event, and as much a hike as a run!

A more tame Sea Life Centre to Saltdean on the top road and back along the undercliff for me today. Or I might be really bold and run the undercliff first, so I take in the undulating part on tired legs. Bring it on!

I have my bike back, so I'm thinking about East Brighton Park or Peacehaven for my parkrun travels on saturday. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - any chance you'll be unleashed on a parkrun?

I'd say hugely unlikely this week. In fact I'd say I've run my final Park Run in the 35-39 age bracket. I was planning on running the event after my 40th but I think it will clash with the England Quarter Final in the rugby. So I think I'll have a dart 2/11 although the rugby may clash again. If that's the case I'll try and run the event in Cape Town where I'll be for 9/11

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd say hugely unlikely this week. In fact I'd say I've run my final Park Run in the 35-39 age bracket. I was planning on running the event after my 40th but I think it will clash with the England Quarter Final in the rugby. So I think I'll have a dart 2/11 although the rugby may clash again. If that's the case I'll try and run the event in Cape Town where I'll be for 9/11

Okey dokey - keep me posted and we'll get a proper 5k on the move. :thumbsup:

Also, what's happening with the track session idea? I don't remember if anyone had been assigned the task of getting it organised or not?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sir Bruno is coming to my workplace on monday, I'm looking forward to hitting him with the, "how quickly can the players run a 5k?" question! I'll report back what he says. I'm hoping he's going to tell me that they do a timed 5k regularly throughout the season and then fire off a list of winners and losers. It won't put the argument to bed, whatever the great man says, but it will be an interesting insight.

He wants to chat about Health and Well Being, which is fine - but I'll be going straight in.

If others are struggling to fire questions at him, I'll hit him with, "What was celebrated more? Promotion to the Premier League, or Andone leaving for Galatasaray?".

:albion2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apparently it's the 01:59:59 marathon attempt tomorrow.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Sir Bruno is coming to my workplace on monday, I'm looking forward to hitting him with the, "how quickly can the players run a 5k?" question! I'll report back what he says. I'm hoping he's going to tell me that they do a timed 5k regularly throughout the season and then fire off a list of winners and losers. It won't put the argument to bed, whatever the great man says, but it will be an interesting insight.

He wants to chat about Health and Well Being, which is fine - but I'll be going straight in.

If others are struggling to fire questions at him, I'll hit him with, "What was celebrated more? Promotion to the Premier League, or Andone leaving for Galatasaray?".

:albion2:

I’ve heard from a club insider that Martin Montoya would be the man to beat at the Albion.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I’ve heard from a club insider that Martin Montoya would be the man to beat at the Albion.

I can imagine that actually - look at the man's legs. Crazily sturdy!

Yep.....for all the parkrunners, that means he needs to average 14.13 for each 5k.

And for additional context, there will only be a handful of parkrun times tomorrow which match that pace, let alone beat it! Insane.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Interesting........I'd guess that the lighter players and/or midfield engines would be the front runners - Trossard (nothing to him), Stephens, Alzate, March perhaps. Ryan is as fit as a butchers dog as well (probably too short though)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
PB heaven on coastal park runs today. 1 mph westerly at Worthing and 3 mph at Hove. I’d love to be out there as what a chance for sub 18 but the wife goes spinning so I’ll be taking a look enviously on at Strava around 09:30 to see how everyone fared.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You lot are gonna be an even bigger nightmare emboldened by this. :lol: :kiss:

bors3y3dk35x1gyqmtjc.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good luck to him but we would be unable to accept that time for the NSC table as it is not a race....and he has to support Brighton.
He might not win.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
PB heaven on coastal park runs today. 1 mph westerly at Worthing and 3 mph at Hove. I’d love to be out there as what a chance for sub 18 but the wife goes spinning so I’ll be taking a look enviously on at Strava around 09:30 to see how everyone fared.

I've got family stuff to do this morning, which is a shame as the prom would have been a great option. Instead had to watch.....

You lot are gonna be an even bigger nightmare emboldened by this. :lol: :kiss:

View attachment 116104

....and incredible run by Kipchoge. 1.59.40 unofficially and history has been made. That twenty second cushion means I can eventually see someone going under 2 in an actual race, I never thought I'd see sub 2 in my lifetime. Not only that he had the strength to sprint off afterwards with the Kenyan flag to hi five the crowd!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I personally don’t see this as indication that a sub 2hr marathon is close to being officially recorded. He had pacemakers all the way providing a wind shield. That makes a huge difference.

D

Deleted member 2719

That was amazing, what a man, what an attitude, what dedication and what a truly inspirational moment in time. :clap2::clap2::clap2::bowdown:

Makes my 1 mile PB I got this morning, look pretty shit now. :hilton:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wish I had that set up for my sub 3 attempt!

I know it's not the same thing but I hated running with the 4 hour pacers at Brighton and I now tend to avoid pace groups.

I can see how it was necessary here however and I could certainly handle a flat looping course and getting my gels served to me by someone on a bike. The pace car would basically have to be in reverse though :lol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I personally don’t see this as indication that a sub 2hr marathon is close to being officially recorded. He had pacemakers all the way providing a wind shield. That makes a huge difference.

It wasn't blowing a gale out there, the pacemakers were there to keep his pace on track, protection from a slight wind wouldn't have made a huge amount of difference. Running as part of a pack is psychologically easier that and the metronomic pace keeping is the real benefit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had a couple of quid on the fella in white.

#Aftertimers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here