Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
View attachment 72567 I bought this beauty from TK Maxx @ Guiness Boy. I have been against rollers for 5 years but I was wrong. This has worked wonders.

Was it cheaper in TKs than Anne Summers ? What's the battery life like ?

40 mins on the hotel treadmill this morning, aimed at 8mm pace but with several 20-30 second sprints. I was on the machine directly facing the sign on the wall reminding gym users that the hotel is 2246m above sea level. Seems to make little difference at 8mm, but at 'eyeballs out' pace it's horrific !

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Was it cheaper in TKs than Anne Summers ? What's the battery life like ?

40 mins on the hotel treadmill this morning, aimed at 8mm pace but with several 20-30 second sprints. I was on the machine directly facing the sign on the wall reminding gym users that the hotel is 2246m above sea level. Seems to make little difference at 8mm, but at 'eyeballs out' pace it's horrific !
Well if you choose to holiday in Eastbourne then this is what you get....................

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My physio recommended rolling a tennis ball into the joint where the IT band connects as well. Not tried it yet though.

7 miles recovery yesterday afternoon. No problems. Got home and IT Band seized. Very limited flexibility in it. Forced through stretches and used roller. This morning OK around thigh and knee but not where it runs above hips into the gluteus. so have been trying laying on the tennis ball flat on my back. It hurts but I think it's sorting it out.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Setting off on 19 miler this morning. Each long run is now further than I have ever run before and it scares me. I find it a constant battle with my own mind and I find it impossible to concentrate on anything other than the sheer distance. Am going to try something different today and am leaving the GPS behind. Not even thinking about timings helps. Also going to try listening to podcasts rather than music in the hope that having something that demands my attention might divert my attention.

Any tips from marathon runners on how to beat the "long run blues"?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Any idea on the length of the bridge? I've never been a great sprinter but if reckon anything around 400 metres and below I could do at 5:20 pace, although I'm plucking figures out of thin air here.

The only thing I can gauge it on would be the final 0.10 of a 5k I think 35 seconds is my best, I'm guessing the bridge must be close to 160 metres maybe slightly shorter?

Still no idea of bridge length, and some way off the course PB, but quite happy with 44 seconds. Here are the details: https://www.strava.com/segments/6010408

And here's the total run. Lovely morning for it: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1061663112

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It took me 1m 10s minute to run that bridge on my long run on Sunday[emoji23]

Good morning for a run today, saw the glorious sun rise over Brighton as I ran back from King Alfred.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Setting off on 19 miler this morning. Each long run is now further than I have ever run before and it scares me. I find it a constant battle with my own mind and I find it impossible to concentrate on anything other than the sheer distance. Am going to try something different today and am leaving the GPS behind. Not even thinking about timings helps. Also going to try listening to podcasts rather than music in the hope that having something that demands my attention might divert my attention.

Any tips from marathon runners on how to beat the "long run blues"?

Easier to say than do but try to enjoy it, or at least pretend to enjoy it and thus, hopefully, convince your mind that you are. Take some (easily digestible) snacks, people watch as you go, stop and take a quick photo when you see a nice landscape, get a mate to run with you if you can dupe them. Maybe listen to the radio or a good podcast. Wouldn't worry about it too much - the distance you're doing is amazing.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Easier to say than do but try to enjoy it, or at least pretend to enjoy it and thus, hopefully, convince your mind that you are. Take some (easily digestible) snacks, people watch as you go, stop and take a quick photo when you see a nice landscape, get a mate to run with you if you can dupe them. Maybe listen to the radio or a good podcast. Wouldn't worry about it too much - the distance you're doing is amazing.

Thanks for that. 19 turned into 20 because of a closed section of the Basingstoke Canal. The Ricky Gervais Show, some High5 gel, a crunchy peanut Clif Bar and glorious sunshine got me there in the end.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for that. 19 turned into 20 because of a closed section of the Basingstoke Canal. The Ricky Gervais Show, some High5 gel, a crunchy peanut Clif Bar and glorious sunshine got me there in the end.

Great run, top effort !

Good stuff mate!

Would you recommend gels over sweets? I've never tried them.

Experiment on your training runs, different things work for different people. I had a long spell off gels but recently started using them again, but can't use any that contain fructose as they cause stomach issues. All about trial and error. Pal of mine recommended a new type of powder mix she'd been using with great success - made me puke within 10 mins..........!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
4 days before my inevitable death in the Brighton HM.

I've now stopped all running and I'm letting the legs rest. Even for HM distance, should I be carb loading from Thursday/Friday or is that really not necessary?

Honestly, if ANYONE needs ANY sort of help/advantage, its me :lolol:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Would you recommend gels over sweets? I've never tried them.

Same answer as dazzer6666. It took me a lot of trial and error to find what fuel I could take on board while running that didn't make me want to hurl. Even among gels there is a very large range. Some are fluid and others more gelatinous and heavy. I like the High5 ones, as they are more like taking on a drink. However, they are caffeinated and if I have more than a couple I find my heart is racing. The makers suggest a man of my weight should have eight in a marathon (yes, I'm sure) but I'll probably have a combo of a couple of those, some bars and lots of fluid.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

I've now stopped all running and I'm letting the legs rest. Even for HM distance, should I be carb loading from Thursday/Friday or is that really not necessary?

Bet you're not more doomed than me. I'm dreading it. It is a good excuse to carb-load though.

One of my teammates is having a bottle of wine the night before.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Great run, top effort !

Experiment on your training runs, different things work for different people. I had a long spell off gels but recently started using them again, but can't use any that contain fructose as they cause stomach issues. All about trial and error. Pal of mine recommended a new type of powder mix she'd been using with great success - made me puke within 10 mins..........!

I tried a gel on my run today, and I broke wind violently several minutes later... not sure if that was the gel or the beer I drank last night though!

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

At half marathon distance I don't think carb loading is really necessary. Maybe take a bit more on but I'd said eating things that you knowt aren't going to cause you any JIP is probably more the way to go. Your body is built to be able to fuel itself for a couple of hours running like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here