Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
After reading a good few reviews I think it does offer mild support but is still very suitable for neutral runners.

The GTS bit means “go to shoe” and it is certainly one of the best all rounders, if not a bit clunky at first. Great shoe.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Question for [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] How many old gits do you have in your club? I have heard that https://www.sussexathletics.net/road-relays/ will be on at Preston Park this April. Great history to the event. Trained for it last year but it was covided. Will be on holiday this year but Arena will have a good 60+ team. 3 to each relay team for our age group.

Just had 2 good days running culminating in 4 half mile intervals at 7:15 pace yesterday. Can't walk today but finally getting somewhere. 23:15 target for Saturday Parkrun.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Question for [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] How many old gits do you have in your club? I have heard that https://www.sussexathletics.net/road-relays/ will be on at Preston Park this April. Great history to the event. Trained for it last year but it was covided. Will be on holiday this year but Arena will have a good 60+ team. 3 to each relay team for our age group.

Just had 2 good days running culminating in 4 half mile intervals at 7:15 pace yesterday. Can't walk today but finally getting somewhere. 23:15 target for Saturday Parkrun.

Good that you are getting back and clocking some better times. Thanks for mentioning the event. As a newbie I'm not entirely sure -we seem to have quite a few old girls but old gits are a bit thin on the ground. But including me, I can think of 3 of us over 60s and will ask around. On my appraisal of the 3 I'm thinking of, I wouldn't see us a challengers, but you never know.

My knee is just about on the mend. Got in no real training this week (including missing 2 club sessions) but will probably have a go at Worthing Parkrun on Saturday. My lot will be at Hove Park doing an 'age grade' race, but I'll give that a miss as I've not done any other of the series that they've been running. There is one of our number (VW75!) who can manage a 90%+, but other than her no real stars as far as I can tell.

PS just checked the fixtures and I too am away that weekend. Indeed I've pencilled in either the Bournemouth 10k or 5k for that very weekend. If your holiday just happens to be in Dorset.................

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure whether you guys have seen this yet?

About time this was stopped at busy events in my opinion.

I stopped doing PR as the dogs were fecking my knees up having to weave them and their owners.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dog-owners-face-new-parkrun-26357194:moo:

Those are the sort of harnesses used by those who are into canicross (running with dogs), which is more typically done in more open settings and not with bunches of other runners.

I run with my dog but have never felt the need to have one of those harnesses. When we're on the Downs, he's off the lead - he follows me along and he's not interested in sheep, horses nor cattle. I always take a lead with me for any road stretches and for any "just in cases" moments.

I can well understand that a dog on a waist harness could be a hazard to others.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has anyone had a go on the Peloton Tread?

A mate has got one recently, and invited me to have a go. I tried a 20-minute HIIT (intervals) run and, I feel slightly ashamed to say, really enjoyed it!

As is the case with the Peloton bikes, there was an instructor (this was a pre-recorded session, but there are live ones too) who gave instructions and encouragement etc. You could also see the scores of those who were taking the session at the same time.

I gave it a reasonable amount of effort and finished some way clear of everyone else doing it at the same time, and finished 111th out of about 4,900 who have taken it to date.

I peaked at 11.5mph (5:00/mile pace) on my later intervals. the very nature of the "class", the comeptition scoreboard and having to keep up with the treadmill means I think I was probably capable of going faster than I would on the road - I'm not sure I've ever hit 5:00/mile pace before.

I've gone from thinking Peloton is just wanky nonsense to havng some apprecation of it. £2,500 for the Tread though, and then an ongoing subscription - it's not cheap!

IMG_3038.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll add that the last time I used a treadmill of any kind was probably about 15 years ago, when I used it as part of general fitness in the gym - I certainly wasn't a runner then!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good that you are getting back and clocking some better times. Thanks for mentioning the event. As a newbie I'm not entirely sure -we seem to have quite a few old girls but old gits are a bit thin on the ground. But including me, I can think of 3 of us over 60s and will ask around. On my appraisal of the 3 I'm thinking of, I wouldn't see us a challengers, but you never know.

My knee is just about on the mend. Got in no real training this week (including missing 2 club sessions) but will probably have a go at Worthing Parkrun on Saturday. My lot will be at Hove Park doing an 'age grade' race, but I'll give that a miss as I've not done any other of the series that they've been running. There is one of our number (VW75!) who can manage a 90%+, but other than her no real stars as far as I can tell.

PS just checked the fixtures and I too am away that weekend. Indeed I've pencilled in either the Bournemouth 10k or 5k for that very weekend. If your holiday just happens to be in Dorset.................

Not Dorset but starting by heading towards Portsmouth......
Arena had 3 old ****s in the Brighton Half all older than me. They got 1:44:04, 1:39:52 and the superb John Orden (soon to join your age group) 1:32:04. PG has been out with knee tendonitis since the Goodwood 10K.
Still nobody younger, that is any good, has joined the over 60's but the club has a lot of competition above my age and that's not even counting the old dears.
Good luck down at Bournemouth

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My only 'concern' over Peloton would be that they have just gone through a huge round of layoffs and seem to be struggling as a business. So 'if' Peloton did disappear, you'd be left with a very expensive treadmill.

https://www.businessinsider.com/im-one-of-2800-people-peloton-laid-off-im-shocked-2022-2?r=US&IR=T

I heard a couple of weeks ago that Nike were interested in taking them over, as they want to get involved in subscription models as part of their business.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I heard a couple of weeks ago that Nike were interested in taking them over, as they want to get involved in subscription models as part of their business.

Makes sense. I know Amazon fell out with Peloton as apparently Amazon were also looking at creating something.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My only 'concern' over Peloton would be that they have just gone through a huge round of layoffs and seem to be struggling as a business. So 'if' Peloton did disappear, you'd be left with a very expensive treadmill.

https://www.businessinsider.com/im-one-of-2800-people-peloton-laid-off-im-shocked-2022-2?r=US&IR=T

I'm certainly aware of the problems, although I'm not massively surprised that as the world came creeping out of stay-at-home restrictions, demand has tailed off.

I'd not have any concerns about their long-term future though - both Nike and Amazon have been linked with a takeover, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple wouldn't weigh it up either. With a market cap of c$8bn, an outright buy would be pocket change to companies like that.

Personally, it's a moot point anyway - I can't justify £2,500 up front and then a monthly subscription. I was more intrigued if anyone had tried the Peloton Tread and was equally impressed as I was!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Not Dorset but starting by heading towards Portsmouth......
Arena had 3 old ****s in the Brighton Half all older than me. They got 1:44:04, 1:39:52 and the superb John Orden (soon to join your age group) 1:32:04. PG has been out with knee tendonitis since the Goodwood 10K.
Still nobody younger, that is any good, has joined the over 60's but the club has a lot of competition above my age and that's not even counting the old dears.
Good luck down at Bournemouth

And an HM run in very challenging conditions too.

On the transition from old git (60+) to very old git (65+) my observation is that the numbers thin out and times decline quite sharply. Some (eg the legend that is Gasson) can keep going, to a vey high standard, right up to the cusp of 70. Most, though, don't! I'm currently not sure which category I'm in. If pressed, I'd say it's the speed work that gets you in the end.
(But a young buck like yourself can still get it back!)

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
And an HM run in very challenging conditions too.

On the transition from old git (60+) to very old git (65+) my observation is that the numbers thin out and times decline quite sharply. Some (eg the legend that is Gasson) can keep going, to a vey high standard, right up to the cusp of 70. Most, though, don't! I'm currently not sure which category I'm in. If pressed, I'd say it's the speed work that gets you in the end.
(But a young buck like yourself can still get it back!)

I hope to introduce you to John Orden this summer. 65 this year. Started running 5 years ago. 19:52 PB last December on the Prom at 83.64%. Problem with the new kid on the block is he keeps going with distance. He's doing Boston this year and I'd predict a time between 3:15 and 3:25.
Never stops smiling although I wouldn't, if I could run like that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
GTS means it is a support, not neutral shoe. It should have the same fit as the neutral (non-GTS) version of the shoe but has the added Guiderails technology.

The official Brooks site makes no mention of "Go To Shoe" on its own definition.

https://support.brooksrunning.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054383952-What-is-a-GTS-Shoe-

Furthermore, they actually say GTS stands for Go-To-Support:

GTX refers to Gore-Tex, a waterproof membrane to help your feet to stay dry and comfortable on rainy day runs. GTS refers to Go-To-Support, we use our Guiderails technology to deliver holistic support that allows your hips, knees, and joints to move the way you naturally do.​

https://support.brooksrunning.com/h...832951-What-is-the-difference-in-GTS-and-GTX-

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Furthermore, they actually say GTS stands for Go-To-Support:

GTX refers to Gore-Tex, a waterproof membrane to help your feet to stay dry and comfortable on rainy day runs. GTS refers to Go-To-Support, we use our Guiderails technology to deliver holistic support that allows your hips, knees, and joints to move the way you naturally do.​

https://support.brooksrunning.com/h...832951-What-is-the-difference-in-GTS-and-GTX-

Sorry guys. Didn’t want to upset anyone but it’s still my “go to shoe”

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Sorry guys. Didn’t want to upset anyone but it’s still my “go to shoe”

Haha! Shows how personal it all is, It’s my GAS (Go-Away-Shoe), it’s the only shoe I really didn’t like - felt like I was running in shoe-boxes. Very much each to their own!!

Just setting off for Devon to run the 20 mile Grizzly on Sunday. Off road, lots of hills, lots of mud and a river to cross - what’s not to like? (Am I nuts or something?)

Hoping to fit Seaton parkrun in as well on Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here