Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
568 m, basically a third of a mile? How on earth does that happen. I would be a bit pissed off to see 26.2 on my watch without the finish line even being within sight.

What does that mean for people who want to get Good for Age for London?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember there was a similar issue with the half marathon a few years ago.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So it turns out that the guy who "won" the race wasn't actually winning at 26.2 miles...

[tweet]1437016612960444419[/tweet]

[tweet]1437010965095227396[/tweet]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sounds a shamble. The ‘winner’ had an unofficial pacer join at the last bit apparently. Obviously the extra 568M (this now made it an Ultra) and lack of water on some stations on a day like today according to someone I know that ran it.

I’m doing a 10 Mile Tough Mudder next weekend, my general fitness is good - but my running has been neglected so been trying to cram in some 5-10km over the last 2 weeks to build up some kind of form! Lovely 8km run from Ferring - Goring - East Preston at 8am today though

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Gee-whizz that was tough.

Not sure if it was the heat, the humidity or not having run a road marathon for two years but that was a personal worst time.

First half was ok 1:54- pretty much to target but wasn’t feeling great. Second half there was a lot of jog/walking and ended up finishing in 4:25. As stated above Basin Road was like a war zone - four ambulances went past me in about 15 minutes.

Well done to those who ran better than me and big thanks if you volunteered or supported. Good to see [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] plus a smattering of Albion flags.
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION] - I thought the start was good - I was blue wave- didn’t feel that different to normal tbh. Seemed to be a lot more toilets in Preston Park including a we sign posted large urinal area.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I’m pretty sure that the marathon course was measured correctly as the route was identical to previous years. My feeling is that it was human error in putting out the markers and bollards early on Sunday morning when they close the roads. Specifically, if I remember correctly from previously, the turn at the eastern end is at the top of the hill beyond St Dunstans. Yesterday, however, the turn marker had been placed a few hundred metres after the top of the hill towards Rottingdean. I know they were struggling to get enough volunteers this year and I guess that bit just didn’t get checked in time.

Having said that, it would have made no difference to my performance: having started strongly and comfortably run 30km at my target 3:45hr pace, my long-standing Achilles injury kicked in big time, and I ended up having to walk/jog for the rest in order to finish. Ended with 4h19, my slowest marathon (still good enough for 7th in old crocks age category though ….).

Good to see [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] at the end and, as he said, it was carnage in parts because of the heat, with lots of work for the paramedics (I wonder also if some people’s training had suffered in the pandemic?).

Overall, good fun though, and very well organised (apart from course measurement) with excellent support as usual, and just so exhilarating to be back doing large scale running events.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
568 m, basically a third of a mile? How on earth does that happen. I would be a bit pissed off to see 26.2 on my watch without the finish line even being within sight.

What does that mean for people who want to get Good for Age for London?

I fear GFA for London would be out of the question even with a correct course length, as word on the streets is that Brighton Marathon had not renewed their UKA accreditation for the course
8138a6d18bc78e388738575c7297f948.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I fear GFA for London would be out of the question even with a correct course length, as word on the streets is that Brighton Marathon had not renewed their UKA accreditation for the course
8138a6d18bc78e388738575c7297f948.jpg

Well done to all who ran yesterday, sounds like another tough one (the extra distance wouldn’t have bothered me personally but for those chasing times etc it’s pretty shocking what is now a big city marathon can’t get that basic thing right).

Re this, it’s being talked about on a a lot of running forums. Add this to the frankly unforgivable shambles on course marking/measurement and it’s pretty shameful - such a pity a ‘top’ local event has turned into a mess with a mountain of negative publicity

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Well done to all the runners yesterday in the 10k and Ultra.

I heard yesterday morning the race organisers were still waiting for the license to come through. Pretty shocking that they are leaving it until the 11th hour.

The Mile markers were all quite accurate with my watch until mile 10 when I was at 10.47. Initially though it might be one inaccurate marker but I knew something was up at halfway, as I’d be running more 1:34/35 pace not 1:38:00.

Demoralising knowing your target time was unachievable and when I got passed by the 3:15 pacer who was probably speeding up to make up time, any remaining motivation went.

For the first time in 5 marathons I had to walk for about 30-60 seconds by the Peace Statue.

Such a shame as the water stations worked well and plenty of them, great support and volunteers, but unforgivable to get the distance wrong and I’d love to know why the license wasn’t sorted well in advance.

I understand the 10k was unlicensed too.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Well done to all the 10k and marathon runners yesterday in warm conditions! Kudos to all the volunteers too!

For such an established UK marathon it's very poor from the organisers to not check (and check again) that the route was measured accurately. To not have a UKA license in place prior to the event being held is also amateur planning. We're not talking about a low level participant race here.

I'd be shocked if the rumour of the men's winner having an unofficial pacer jump into the race towards the end to help is true. If it is, that's got to mean a DQ.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The Mile markers were all quite accurate with my watch until mile 10 when I was at 10.47. Initially though it might be one inaccurate marker but I knew something was up at halfway, as I’d be running more 1:34/35 pace not 1:38:00.

Demoralising knowing your target time was unachievable and when I got passed by the 3:15 pacer who was probably speeding up to make up time, any remaining motivation went.

That was pretty much my experience. I was with the 3.15 pacers until about half-way, but once they went ahead I knew I didn't have the legs to keep up the pace and stay with them (and I suspect I'd have joined the Shoreham Harbour carnage if I had).

I think I ended up with a 4:16, but I haven't even downloaded my watch yet.

Looking forward to nice relaxing trot for the Surrey Half now. Not going for a time in that one, just keeping up my 100% participation record.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That was pretty much my experience. I was with the 3.15 pacers until about half-way, but once they went ahead I knew I didn't have the legs to keep up the pace and stay with them (and I suspect I'd have joined the Shoreham Harbour carnage if I had).

I think I ended up with a 4:16, but I haven't even downloaded my watch yet.

Looking forward to nice relaxing trot for the Surrey Half now. Not going for a time in that one, just keeping up my 100% participation record.

I’m going to do the same with Barns Green HM in two weeks. No pressure, just enjoy the run. It helps too that it’s by far my favourite HM.

I remember meeting you there 3 or 4 years ago, are you in this year or does it clash with Surrey?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I’m going to do the same with Barns Green HM in two weeks. No pressure, just enjoy the run. It helps too that it’s by far my favourite HM.

I remember meeting you there 3 or 4 years ago, are you in this year or does it clash with Surrey?

Clashes with Surrey, sadly. Are you cycling to Barns Green again this year? I seem to remember you just missed out on a top fifty male finisher place the year I met you (2018 was the year, I was at my fittest, but was hospitalised a couple of months later and I've never fully recovered), you've been in much better form since then so hopefully you're in with a very good shout of getting a coveted gold medal - I'm quite proud that I have two of those, albeit the first came before the 50/50 male/female finisher rule came in.

:)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I hope not to cycle this time around. It’s quite a dicey journey from Brighton.

I think, but I’d have to check, I got the gold medal the following year.

Looking forward to it, with the atmosphere and zero pressure for a time.

It’s a nice way to get back to long runs post marathon.

Hands up who’s worked out their true marathon time?

I’ve gone on pace calculator and worked out my average speed over 42,763 metres and then put that average pace into marathon distance. Looks like a PB 3:13:57

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Time to put up my brief BM report!

Came home with a five minute PB yesterday in a time of 3.28 hours, guess that would have been about eight minutes if the course had been measured right :ohmy:

Hey-ho, it's still a PB and I beat my 3.30 target so I still came away happy :)

Garmin tells me I ran a new Half Marathon PB in the opening 13 miles, which should give some confidence going for an 'official' HM PB in Brighton next month.

Obviously some serious organisational failings, never good for the event to hit the national headlines for all the wrong reasons, I just hope there's no lasting reputational damage from this, it's my home event and I love it!! From my perspective it still felt like a mass participation event, the start and finish were all well organised, the volunteers were amazing and the drinks stations and toilets were plentiful.

A huge well done to all who took part or volunteered :bowdown: we go again in seven months...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A couple of good long Marathon times from the boys.
If I’d known the rest of you were going to run it like me, I wouldn’t have retired!
Well done everyone no DNFs��

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015
Congratulations to everyone who completed and supported the marathon on Sunday. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to run another 568 metres at the end of a marathon. I suppose not knowing helped!

It will be interesting to see if a retrospective licence is issued. I thought there were some fundamental obligations that came with a licence. Such as offering a £2 discount to all UKA affiliated runners, promoting Runbritain on the event website and, er, providing an accurately measured course.

The suggested method for adjusting times makes sense, but I would have thought they could do that for everyone. They have all the 40 to 42.2km split times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here