Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ran twice in a month and had to stop after a mile or so both times. Calf issues. Third trip to the sports's injury man today and maybe getting somewhere. My cuneiform bone on the inside mid foot has apparently been ceased up for months (probably arthritis last year). Overcompensation on the forefoot when running has led to pressure up the calf.

Number of loosening up exercises with fingers and a spiky ball, two weeks of walking mimicing running action and then back to jogging. Hopefully good news but cutting it fine for the over 60's 1500m on July 27.

Would have been the Weakest Link tomorrow.

Grim, but sounds like you've has some expert advice. To get into good nick for 27 July will take some doing, but you have a good track record (literally) in bouncing back. Can you cycle/swim in the meantime?

I'm ticking over but seem to be on a bit of a plateau -and just grateful for not being crocked.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Grim, but sounds like you've has some expert advice. To get into good nick for 27 July will take some doing, but you have a good track record (literally) in bouncing back. Can you cycle/swim in the meantime?

I'm ticking over but seem to be on a bit of a plateau -and just grateful for not being crocked.

Been in the hands of Jesus. Surprised the calf injury got traced to a foot bone. Now the cuneiform bone is moving I could make it crack whilst watching the football last night. Fingers crossed. I can swim and cycle fine but a bit demotivated at the moment.

Seems I fell to the new gear syndrome. Yet to wear these beauties and have been told they probably would have screwed my calf a lot worse. Chasing the Gasson at the last 800m would have been futile. 2:40 is incredible. Best to block that time while you’re ticking over.

B1D036B7-D1A3-4954-B8CC-FBBA58C5588A.jpeg

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've not really trained for an event over the summer before, and while I'm finding the physical side of my training plan okay I'm really having issues with heat rash! Anyone got any tips for dealing with this nuisance - ideally I'd just take a few days off to let it clear, but that isn't an option now I'm starting to get into the long runs and can feel myself getting fitter.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My favouritest fast training shoe (which I used for my HM PB the other day) is on offer at Nike right now - the Tempo Next % is down from £170 to £101 - by far the cheapest I have seen it.

A few colour ways and a good range of sizes >>> https://www.nike.com/gb/t/air-zoom-tempo-next-running-shoe-wdHwf6/CI9923-103

NSC is costing me money this week. New Garmin 245 a few days ago and now I’ve succumbed to joining the Nike revolution.

Tempo’s Next % arrive Tuesday so I’ll look forward to running a 35 minute 10k when they arrive. You only need to put one foot in front of the other right? And the shoes magic powers, propel you to immediate PB’s!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Morning all. A rare bit of night running for me with day 4 of STE's Marathon Madness. Trying not to do my usual of going off like a loon, I kept it to 8:40ish min/miles for a while, which dropped a bit to 9s and then 9:something up to 20 miles. Hit the wall and spent the rest of it walking a little bit of each mile and then running the rest – it was the only way I was going to get trhrough it.

Slightly annoying because I'l lured myself into thinking a sub-4 marathon might be on, but not a chance – finished in 4:12 in the end. I felt pretty rough by the end – definitely not used to running at that time of day. But, all in all, great to be back at an actual proper event. Jay told me at the end I had won a special prize of free entry into tonight's event (Widewater to Lancing Bandstand and back eight times), but I politely declined his offer. The funny thing is, I feel much brighter this morning, so would probably be OK to give it a go. But still no :lolol:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No posts since 25/06 - a record of some sort? Have we all stopped running?

Not that I've got much to report. Expected to do the Wisborough Green event today. A nice village type event with a 5k/10k choice. Unfortunately and at quite late notice they stopped the 'entry on the day' option - they had record numbers, which is encouraging.

Anyway, took out my frustration with a mediocre 10k on Worthing prom: 49.28.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
10k race for me today at Goodwood. It will never be my favourite distance, but fairly happy with 38:32 and a good target to beat in 10 days for the Phoenix 10k.

Anyone else running that one? It used to be a staple of the NSC running calendar, with a pub visit tucked in for good good measure.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Not that I've got much to report. Expected to do the Wisborough Green event today. A nice village type event with a 5k/10k choice. Unfortunately and at quite late notice they stopped the 'entry on the day' option - they had record numbers, which is encouraging.

Anyway, took out my frustration with a mediocre 10k on Worthing prom: 49.28.

Good running GNT. I’m fixed, so it was indeed the stuck cuneiform bone in the foot creating calf seizure. Now stuck in no mans land. 4 weeks with 5 miles total running and just 9 days before the Phoenix. I’ll be gasping my way to a slow time.

10k race for me today at Goodwood. It will never be my favourite distance, but fairly happy with 38:32 and a good target to beat in 10 days for the Phoenix 10k.

Anyone else running that one? It used to be a staple of the NSC running calendar, with a pub visit tucked in for good good measure.

That’s fast. 6 months running without alcohol came to an end on Saturday. Look forward to the 🍻.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Managed 11 miles on Saturday, my longest run since March 2020. Brighton Marathon will come just too soon so the plan is now to swap to BM10k and train hard for getting round Beachy Head instead. Better find the trail shoes.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I binned off my long run this weekend as I wanted to give my heat rash a chance to subside - plenty of cold showers and using anti-bacterial soap seems to be helping. I smell nicely of lemons if nothing else!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Still going here - yesterday was Run Streak Day 521.

Like many, I'm sure, I was somewhat "jaded" yesterday meaning I didn't get out until the evening and plodded around 10-and-a-bit miles whilst listening to Bruce-Ball and Sutton on 6-0-6.

It's interesting to look at my mileage now. I now tend to run 60-65 miles a week / 270-280 miles a month as a matter of routine, without intentionally trying to increase it. A year ago, it felt like a real effort to get to 200 miles in a month.

The improvements are so slow that we sometimes don't notice them day to day, until we look back over a longer period of time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fairly happy…you’re too modest :lolol: It’s a truly excellent time! Good work.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Hateful distance, horrible course – well done big nuts – phenomenal time.

As you can probably guess, I'm swerving Phoenix, but I'm planning to Beat The Tide, which might be the same day?

My own running took a bit of a dip last week. Marathon took it out of me, managed a mediocre 28.7 miles last week. Need to build that up again, but also work in some bike training too...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I’ve had a bit of a rest since my Exmoor exploits but as my Strava friends know I I did complete the King Alfred Way cycle ride last week - (wrong thread, I know) -517km and 5240m elevation (mainly off road) in six days - so have also needed some more time off after that.
Planning to get going again this week, and then I suppose Brighton Marathon is probably sooner than I am thinking.
Great 10k time [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - I’ll be pleased to be within 10 minutes of that at the Phoenix- Brunswick most likely destination afterwards?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’ve had a bit of a rest since my Exmoor exploits but as my Strava friends know I I did complete the King Alfred Way cycle ride last week - (wrong thread, I know) -517km and 5240m elevation (mainly off road) in six days - so have also needed some more time off after that.
Planning to get going again this week, and then I suppose Brighton Marathon is probably sooner than I am thinking.
Great 10k time [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - I’ll be pleased to be within 10 minutes of that at the Phoenix- Brunswick most likely destination afterwards?

I like the Brunswick - plenty of good beers on draught. I’m fine with that being our pub for the night.

I’ll be at the finish line cheering you on and shouting abuse [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - looking forward to it now (the drinks rather than the race).

SAC

May 21, 2014
I regretted my decision to go for a run this morning, still feeling the effects of last night.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
A few photos from my long run this morning... decided to head down to Wembley to have a look around the stadium on this special day before Wembley Way starts jumping. COME ON ENGLAND!! :goal:

wembley.jpg

wembley 2.jpg

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Popping in to see how ppl are doing and well impressed. Doing 10K a day myself this month at my sloth pace of 50-60 mins. Beat the Tide tomorrow - wearing number 10...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here