Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My run streak hit 500 days yesterday. I did have tentative plans to try for a HM PB - the last time I properly tried was when I set my current best back in November, but the combination of a morning hangover and friends round for the football put paid to that, so I went for a sunset run up to my favouritest hill Cissbury Ring instead, and it didn't disappoint.

Some numbers from the last 500 days...

Miles covered: 3,658⁣
Average per day: 7.31 miles⁣
(Current 2021 average: 8.76 miles/day)⁣

5km / 10km / HM PBs on Day 1: 21:57 / 46:10 / 1:46:31⁣
5km / 10km / HM PBs now: 19:01 / 39:05 / 1:34:48⁣

Locations⁣
Worthing: 487⁣
Orlando: 7⁣
New Forest: 3⁣
London: 2⁣
Heathrow: 1⁣

Shoes in rotation on Day 1: 2 pairs⁣
Shoes in rotation now: 14 pairs⁣ :laugh:

Here's to the next 500!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My run streak hit 500 days yesterday. I did have tentative plans to try for a HM PB - the last time I properly tried was when I set my current best back in November, but the combination of a morning hangover and friends round for the football put paid to that, so I went for a sunset run up to my favouritest hill Cissbury Ring instead, and it didn't disappoint.

Some numbers from the last 500 days...

Miles covered: 3,658⁣
Average per day: 7.31 miles⁣
(Current 2021 average: 8.76 miles/day)⁣

5km / 10km / HM PBs on Day 1: 21:57 / 46:10 / 1:46:31⁣
5km / 10km / HM PBs now: 19:01 / 39:05 / 1:34:48⁣

Locations⁣
Worthing: 487⁣
Orlando: 7⁣
New Forest: 3⁣
London: 2⁣
Heathrow: 1⁣

Shoes in rotation on Day 1: 2 pairs⁣
Shoes in rotation now: 14 pairs⁣ :laugh:

Here's to the next 500!

Tremendous running and great use of lockdown :thumbsup:

I'm going to try and drag myself out 4 times a week as often as I can. Every day isn't really practical now that working in London is once again a thing for me. Not sure how I'd avoid injury either, you must have a decent stretching routine.

I managed a bit of speed work on the front this morning and was astonished to see signs showing road closures for Brighton Half. I would have thought Boris's extension would have kyboshed this. Is it on as normal with crowds etc? Doesn't seem in line with the announcement. Does anyone know as I will definitely avoid that area on my Sunday jog if so.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I'm going to try and drag myself out 4 times a week as often as I can. Every day isn't really practical now that working in London is once again a thing for me. Not sure how I'd avoid injury either, you must have a decent stretching routine.

I managed a bit of speed work on the front this morning and was astonished to see signs showing road closures for Brighton Half. I would have thought Boris's extension would have kyboshed this. Is it on as normal with crowds etc? Doesn't seem in line with the announcement. Does anyone know as I will definitely avoid that area on my Sunday jog if so.

Your Manor will be free for you. Just don’t buy a 99 from an unlicensed van.😂

A451D5C7-308B-447E-9225-B06420AB4E05.jpeg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Cheers - I never warm up, cool down nor stretch.

If I've been hard at it, I can be quite a sight as I try to get off the sofa, which does suggest that stretching should be something I take a look at! I keep saying I will.

I do "listen to my body" though, and ease up on distance/speed when I'm feeling weary.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cheers - I never warm up, cool down nor stretch.

If I've been hard at it, I can be quite a sight as I try to get off the sofa, which does suggest that stretching should be something I take a look at! I keep saying I will.

I do "listen to my body" though, and ease up on distance/speed when I'm feeling weary.

This. I think I've been very lucky on that front – I have actually convinced myself that if I did start with all that, I'd be more likely to get injured! I'm up to 151 days on my latest streak and all good so far.

This morning was a slog – up to the SDW YHA and back – and I actually had a few little walks along the way. Long gone are the days of me thinking I need to keep running or with both eyes on the clock (watch). It's all about the enjoyment – especially in this heat :eek:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ng-all-214-wainwright-peaks-in-under-six-days

The British ultrarunner Sabrina Verjee has shattered the record for completing all of the Lake District’s 214 Wainwright peaks in less than six days – making her the fastest athlete, male or female, by more than six hours.

The 40-year-old veterinary surgeon from Ambleside finished the 325-mile route, which included the summit of England’s highest mountain, Scafell Pike, in five days, 23 hours, 49 minutes and 12 seconds to beat the previous best, set by Paul Tierney in 2019.

6k of ascent a day. Gosh.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn't make it out the door until after 9pm yesterday so I was only going to cover 8 or so miles, but I seemed to be ticking along quite well so extended the run to 13,1.

Managed to take my HM PB down from 1:34:48 to 1:30:30, which I'm delighted with, although wondering if I'd have gone sub-1:30 if I'd given the Vaporflys a first run out!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good Garmin deals on Amazon Prime event today.

Forerunner 245 at £169 is a great deal.

Don’t forget to use the NSC link of course.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Went out for 16 miles on Saturday morning, so just did a two-mile tiddler over to Shoreham Beach and back yesterday morning.

Half asleep when I set off this morning and only realised when it was too late that I hadn't logged the run and inadvertently deleted it from my watch.

So, the question is, did I even run if it's not on Strava/Garmin/Nike+? :moo:

Race week this week – River Adur marathon on Thursday night as part of STE's 5in5. Anyone else doing any/all of them?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I’m currently suffering my first bout of plantar fasciitis, it’s really peeved me off, anyone got any good tips? I haven’t run for 3 weeks now and it’s beginning to get me down. I’m trying to still walk (cycling is pain free) but my heel/instep feels very sore if I do too much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’m currently suffering my first bout of plantar fasciitis, it’s really peeved me off, anyone got any good tips? I haven’t run for 3 weeks now and it’s beginning to get me down. I’m trying to still walk (cycling is pain free) but my heel/instep feels very sore if I do too much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve always found rolling my foot on a golf ball is very helpful.

The type of job I do, which is to sit on my arse all day, means I have plenty of opportunity to use it during the day.

The other important thing is to strengthen your calf muscles.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Didn't make it out the door until after 9pm yesterday so I was only going to cover 8 or so miles, but I seemed to be ticking along quite well so extended the run to 13,1.

Managed to take my HM PB down from 1:34:48 to 1:30:30, which I'm delighted with, although wondering if I'd have gone sub-1:30 if I'd given the Vaporflys a first run out!

Great time Bozza! But how the hell do you sleep after a 1'30 pb finishing at 1030 at night?! If I go out on a pacey shorter run after 7 I find it difficult to sleep, let alone a balls out half!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Are you sure it’s PF ? Always worth getting a proper diagnosis……….a physio will also be able to point to causes as well as confirming what it is, plus appropriate treatment and rehab. Can’t tell you the number of times I’ve self-diagnosed a running injury only to be told by a professional that it’s something different (and without the right diagnosis, any treatment might actually make things worse).

If it is PF, rolling your foot on a ball (graduate from a tennis ball to a golf ball over time, plus intermittently using a small frozen bottle of water) and a Strassburg Sock are probably your best bets - but even this will only help temporarily unless you fix the cause which could be any number of things.

Main thing with PF is not to make it any worse - so don’t run on it. If it becomes chronic it’ll take months to clear.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Incredible time…….when are you going to get some official PBs logged ?? :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ran twice in a month and had to stop after a mile or so both times. Calf issues. Third trip to the sports's injury man today and maybe getting somewhere. My cuneiform bone on the inside mid foot has apparently been ceased up for months (probably arthritis last year). Overcompensation on the forefoot when running has led to pressure up the calf.

Number of loosening up exercises with fingers and a spiky ball, two weeks of walking mimicing running action and then back to jogging. Hopefully good news but cutting it fine for the over 60's 1500m on July 27.

Would have been the Weakest Link tomorrow.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Great time Bozza! But how the hell do you sleep after a 1'30 pb finishing at 1030 at night?! If I go out on a pacey shorter run after 7 I find it difficult to sleep, let alone a balls out half!

A bottle of rehydration merlot did the trick!

Incredible time…….when are you going to get some official PBs logged ?? :)

How about never. Does never work for you? :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here