Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great improvement today and plan to turn up tomorrow. The chance to have a photo of me on a starting line as the only man amongst women is not to be missed. Tempted to wear the LGBT Nike Air Zoom!

Probably drop the adrenaline and kill myself attitude and go out and enjoy myself.............................if it's possible to enjoy myself whilst being overtaken by scores of women in a freezing northerly wind :down:.

That's a very very very good AG you ran yesterday.

Good stuff. My mate is on marshalling duty. I'll get him to trip over the leading ladies in your race.

Managed a longish run today inc. 4 times up and down Salvington Hill (this will only mean anything to Bozza). Hate longer runs + hate hills = it must be doing me some good.

Bet of luck tomorrow.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Great improvement today and plan to turn up tomorrow. The chance to have a photo of me on a starting line as the only man amongst women is not to be missed. Tempted to wear the LGBT Nike Air Zoom!

Probably drop the adrenaline and kill myself attitude and go out and enjoy myself.............................if it's possible to enjoy myself whilst being overtaken by scores of women in a freezing northerly wind :down:.

That's a very very very good AG you ran yesterday.

Good to know and see you tomorrow.

I was having second thoughts yesterday. I don’t like the fact it’s at the end of the bank holiday, so obsessive types like me, will struggle to relax and will feel guilty if I over indulge.

I was going to see how I felt this morning and if I felt fresh, I’d go out on a long run and skip tomorrow. In the end it felt like a rest day was needed, so just went out for 2 miles with my boy and now it’s roast dinner and wine.

I’ll just aim to enjoy tomorrow and see how it goes.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good to know and see you tomorrow.

I was having second thoughts yesterday. I don’t like the fact it’s at the end of the bank holiday, so obsessive types like me, will struggle to relax and will feel guilty if I over indulge.

I was going to see how I felt this morning and if I felt fresh, I’d go out on a long run and skip tomorrow. In the end it felt like a rest day was needed, so just went out for 2 miles with my boy and now it’s roast dinner and wine.

I’ll just aim to enjoy tomorrow and see how it goes.

Should be good fun tomorrow and wine will help you relax. I'm still unable to judge my pace and will have to follow the girls.
No over indulgence for this ex-George Best/Gazza style boozer I'm on day 91 sober and the 100 is on the cards for the second year running. Don't tell @GNT but I'm planning on not drinking until the finish line of the Worthing AG Old Gits 10K Challenge.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Should be good fun tomorrow and wine will help you relax. I'm still unable to judge my pace and will have to follow the girls.
No over indulgence for this ex-George Best/Gazza style boozer I'm on day 91 sober and the 100 is on the cards for the second year running. Don't tell @GNT but I'm planning on not drinking until the finish line of the Worthing AG Old Gits 10K Challenge.

I like a man who takes his sport seriously and I shall drink to your health and sobriety on every evening until the 10k!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
All the best to the Gaffer [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and anyone else taking part in the Ardingly 5k tomorrow!

Great to get a season opener marker on the board to build on for hopefully a fun summer of action ahead. Enjoy!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
https://m.facebook.com/events/90071..._create&notif_id=1617556984429991&ref=m_notif

As we go 1-0 up I’ve just been told I’m going live at 12:30 tomorrow with my girls. Better iron the vest.

I watched it - only race 5, so apologies to big nuts.

Looked quite blustery and there were a few flakes of snow. The camera work wasn't great but it picked up the start, the finish and one or two points in between. Lots of youngsters, mainly girls just about all of whom managed a sprint in the final stretch. The younger Gasson was in a mighty battle throughout and came home in the top 3. Of course the staggered starts made everything a bit tricky from a viewing perspective. You looked to have a solid run and I'm estimating around 21.15?
It looked like a good event and just a shame about the weather.

PS Blimey they got those results up quickly. 21.07 - very good and well done.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I watched it - only race 5, so apologies to big nuts.

Looked quite blustery and there were a few flakes of snow. The camera work wasn't great but it picked up the start, the finish and one or two points in between. Lots of youngsters, mainly girls just about all of whom managed a sprint in the final stretch. The younger Gasson was in a mighty battle throughout and came home in the top 3. Of course the staggered starts made everything a bit tricky from a viewing perspective. You looked to have a solid run and I'm estimating around 21.15?
It looked like a good event and just a shame about the weather.

PS Blimey they got those results up quickly. 21.07 - very good and well done.

Luckily the snow flurries had stopped shortly after we arrived and it warmed up to 2 degrees in the wind. Good start to the year but disappointed to not break sub 21. Beat the older generation Gasson by 10 seconds and lost to Caroline Wood by an unseeable distance.

More importantly 76.63% AG on a 3.07 mile course. Just need to check on Big Nuts AG.............................

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Some of the times in those races are unbelievable! I know it's elite but is it a particularly quick route? When you see regular parkrun winners finishing middle of the pack you know it's quite something

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Luckily the snow flurries had stopped shortly after we arrived and it warmed up to 2 degrees in the wind. Good start to the year but disappointed to not break sub 21. Beat the older generation Gasson by 10 seconds and lost to Caroline Wood by an unseeable distance.

More importantly 76.63% AG on a 3.07 mile course. Just need to check on Big Nuts AG.............................

I make it 75.05% so the best man won. Good event, despite the snow and winds. It even felt hot when the sun briefly made an appearance and you ran with the wind.

Some great runners there today and some of the times beggar belief.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I make it 75.05% so the best man won. Good event, despite the snow and winds. It even felt hot when the sun briefly made an appearance and you ran with the wind.

Some great runners there today and some of the times beggar belief.

What was the winning time 14:05!:sick:
Disappointed with my mile splits on Strava but ignoring your 3 minute faster time found you almost had the same regression within a second. 5:42, 6:01 and 5:57 to my 6:41,7:01 and 6:57.
Makes me a lot happier to know my pacing wasn't too bad and it was the course and wind that made the difference in the splits.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What was the winning time 14:05!:sick:
Disappointed with my mile splits on Strava but ignoring your 3 minute faster time found you almost had the same regression within a second. 5:42, 6:01 and 5:57 to my 6:41,7:01 and 6:57.
Makes me a lot happier to know my pacing wasn't too bad and it was the course and wind that made the difference in the splits.

That’s quite spooky the similarities in terms of splits. Mile 1 felt like more downhill and with the wind. Mile 2 quite the opposite.

Strava has a segment for the final 400 metres which is interesting looking at the top runners.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
One for @GNT to join us next time. I was definitely one of the most overweight runners yesterday. Me!

B969C88E-107B-4405-A1A8-46CB916FBE5C.png

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done, speed merchants [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]. I wasn't really feeling it over the weekend – a paltry two miles yesterday – but back on it today with the dreaded 10k distance (or 6.66, to be precise). Along the river and then up Beeding Hill and back down to home made it a bit more interesting. Chuffing freezing though...

In other news, the HRM on my Garmin failed on Saturday. Googled what might be wrong with it last night. Turns out turning something off and then back on again DOES actually work :lolol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Great running all! Must be nice to get racing again. That first parkrun back could be speedy!

I think racing could be like a lot of things in my life. I haven’t really missed it, until I’ve done it.

Surprisingly for someone ultra competitive ‘just’ running has been great and I’ve had no dip whatsoever in terms of motivation. In fact quite the opposite.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday and have regained the taste for it, so already last night started looking at future races for the remainder of the year.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think racing could be like a lot of things in my life. I haven’t really missed it, until I’ve done it.

Surprisingly for someone ultra competitive ‘just’ running has been great and I’ve had no dip whatsoever in terms of motivation. In fact quite the opposite.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday and have regained the taste for it, so already last night started looking at future races for the remainder of the year.

Sussex Trail Events announced it's close to finalising details for Beat The Tide, which would be good. One of the few 10k races that I actually enjoy!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

hey mate, Richmond Runfest still have places open for their 10K race on May 15th in the lovely surroundings of Kew Gardens (the day before the marathon) if you fancy a family trip up and have a go at the "Devil's Distance" :lol: https://www.richmondrunfest.co.uk/

It's the same day as our game v Man City but hopefully we'll be fine by then.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
One for @GNT to join us next time. I was definitely one of the most overweight runners yesterday. Me!

View attachment 135608

Certainly wouldn't rule it out - next one in May? I did think you looked a bit chunkier than usual, but in a way that's good as simply losing a couple of pounds will make you fly round.
I'm intend to turn up to our showdown under 10 stone but I'm only 3 pounds over anyway. I should aim at around 9st 10lbs or so but I'd feel I was setting myself up to fail.
Lack of moral fibre, that's what it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here