Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Third day in a row that I have seen Davy Propper and Matty doing a lacklustre 7:30am kettlebell, bands and stretching routine on the seafront lawn by Madeira Terrace Hovewith their mate mad Franco from the local Osteria. Sure I'd have a chance at a mile race. I'll have a little chat tomorrow and see if I can throw in a challenge. I suppose under NSC rules a refusal would be a victory for me.I presume for them the session is just a little wake up before Italian coffee and breakfast in Franco's Deli.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
425B21C8-63FC-421E-8434-BD20EE7F2FF4.jpeg

25416765-04CA-4A1E-AE94-AEB6DD512DE9.jpeg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Preston Park Magic Mile gang are ready to go from next Sunday to Wednesday for the May mile challenge. That will be my next effort.
It’s open to all virtual runners. Just give your time via Facebook and they’ll add you to the list. They allow downhill and wind assisted times but I’ll stick to the NSC rules to ensure I only kill myself once a week.

Then when we can race again we’ll be familiar with the monthly PP Magic Mile.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Preston Park Magic Mile gang are ready to go from next Sunday to Wednesday for the May mile challenge. That will be my next effort.
It’s open to all virtual runners. Just give your time via Facebook and they’ll add you to the list. They allow downhill and wind assisted times but I’ll stick to the NSC rules to ensure I only kill myself once a week.

Then when we can race again we’ll be familiar with the monthly PP Magic Mile.

Sounds good. I’ve had to back off over the past ten days as lower back and glute pain. The good news is Back 2 Balance Chiropractor reopened a couple of weeks ago so I’ve got my second and hopefully final appointment tomorrow.

Temperature check before hand which I initially failed 39 degrees. Had to wait outside and then retest five minutes later, thankfully 36.5.

Plan to ease myself back in Wednesday and then have a dart at it Saturday.
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] has his first 3k attempt and just went sub 11 minutes with 10:59. Hopefully we can meet up for a mile or 3k as we’d run a lot faster against each other.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds good. I’ve had to back off over the past ten days as lower back and glute pain. The good news is Back 2 Balance Chiropractor reopened a couple of weeks ago so I’ve got my second and hopefully final appointment tomorrow.

Temperature check before hand which I initially failed 39 degrees. Had to wait outside and then retest five minutes later, thankfully 36.5.

Plan to ease myself back in Wednesday and then have a dart at it Saturday.

[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] has his first 3k attempt and just went sub 11 minutes with 10:59. Hopefully we can meet up for a mile or 3k as we’d run a lot faster against each other.

Good luck. Run the mile Sunday to Wednesday and join the Preston Park lot.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Here are the updates with a fast 5K from [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and a fast mile from [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION]

NAME NSC 5K NSC 5K AG NSC 3K NSC 3K AG
Big Nuts 18:16 74.72% 10:52 71.40%
Simgull 21:10 72%
GNT 12:52 74.11%

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
Fitzcarraldo 76.04% 4:53
GNT 75.37% 6:24
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Penny's Harmonica 71.35% 6:025
Ninja 69.89% 5:21
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The lockdown never stopped running but this is where I would have gone, if it had. A nice off road route with options of cross paths to make a 2 mile course.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3460666709

I set up the Weald Allotment 3/4 Mile Segment on Strava Saturday and guess I will be the slow course holder for some time.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks gaffer. After last weeks attempt I felt every day of my 52 years but today was far better. I may need to do some specific speed work training to achieve similar improvements before next time.

I won’t trouble GNT over today but I’m still unhappy with my Burgess Hill 10k time in 1989. I just need his address.

No probs. I'll also send my bank account details for the necessary transfer of funds!

Funnily enough and by way of a coincidence, I've got a '10K grievance' too from that very same year. It was the Brighton 10K and I ran my PB, and the only time I ever ducked under 40 minutes. But I can't blame anyone but yours truly as I forgot to leave the necessary SAE* to receive the results. What a mug!

*to explain to younger readers. In the far off days, before football (ie the Premier league) was invented and when dinosaurs ruled the earth, there was no such thing as a computer. Well there were some but they were 1000 feet high and weight 5 tons and had the same processing capability as your watch. To get race results you had to leave an Stamped Addressed Envelope (or not if you were a dick like me) and about 3 weeks later (or never if you were a dick like me) the results would fall through your letter box.

The moral of the story is

a) you never actually know when you've hit your all time PB (I'll go to my grave knowing that the 10K time I put as my PB on the NSC table was an undersell)

b) don't be a dick

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm with [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] – I'm not built for all this speed malarky, so I've been concentrating on plodding – partly because of a Garmin Connect weekly challenge I was entered into and another one of '100 miles in May'. So, Friday half marathon up the Downslink/riverbank to Bramber Castle and back; Saturday laps of the local park as part of a virtual charity challenge (a load of us were meant to be doing Brooklands parkrun that day, but obviously had to change our plans) and a rest day on Sunday. This morning I was back up the riverbank and was covered in flies – not sure where they all came from – hit 90 miles for the month and dipped under 14 stone on the scales.

Oh, if anyone knows where I can get some Asics Gel Nimbus 20s, please let me know. I've heard the 21s aren't as good and I've got holes and almost no grip on my current pair and I love 'em!

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Been out of the loop for a bit, what's the rules for the 1 mile 3k, 5k table?

Did a virtual 1 mile and 10k with my running club recently but pretty sure the downhill mile of 5:06 won't count!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Been out of the loop for a bit, what's the rules for the 1 mile 3k, 5k table?

Did a virtual 1 mile and 10k with my running club recently but pretty sure the downhill mile of 5:06 won't count!

You got the rules right!
All are from standing start to the required distance. If not a flat course there and back is required. Wind assistance to be avoided or at least noted. A circular course or laps of a circuit is perfect.

Good luck.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh, if anyone knows where I can get some Asics Gel Nimbus 20s, please let me know. I've heard the 21s aren't as good and I've got holes and almost no grip on my current pair and I love 'em!

The 22s are out now - not sure if they are worthy of consideration. If the 21s weren't much good, they've likely put those things right.

In other news, my troublesome (ACL reconstructed) knee is proving troublesome again. I really want to hang onto the runstreak if I can, so I'm going to run very short and very slow to see if it improves over the next few days. if it doesn't, then I'll have to stop and rest it completely, although I still need to walk the dog.

It's somewhat typical that I'd just calculated that I had a reasonable chance of hitting 2,000 miles this year (and, if so, I'd need to try and make it 2020 miles).

******* knee.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The 22s are out now - not sure if they are worthy of consideration. If the 21s weren't much good, they've likely put those things right.

In other news, my troublesome (ACL reconstructed) knee is proving troublesome again. I really want to hang onto the runstreak if I can, so I'm going to run very short and very slow to see if it improves over the next few days. if it doesn't, then I'll have to stop and rest it completely, although I still need to walk the dog.

It's somewhat typical that I'd just calculated that I had a reasonable chance of hitting 2,000 miles this year (and, if so, I'd need to try and make it 2020 miles).

******* knee.

Blimey, it really IS a long time since I bought some new runners!

Regarding your run streak, as heartbreaking as it might be, it might be worth having a day off or a few days to reduce the risk of doing more damage.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I'm with [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] – I'm not built for all this speed malarky, so I've been concentrating on plodding – partly because of a Garmin Connect weekly challenge I was entered into and another one of '100 miles in May'. So, Friday half marathon up the Downslink/riverbank to Bramber Castle and back; Saturday laps of the local park as part of a virtual charity challenge (a load of us were meant to be doing Brooklands parkrun that day, but obviously had to change our plans) and a rest day on Sunday. This morning I was back up the riverbank and was covered in flies – not sure where they all came from – hit 90 miles for the month and dipped under 14 stone on the scales.

Might be worth asking Kurt @run for an opinion - he’s switched out of ASICS to 361 as some of the ASICS designers have moved over. I’ve switched and am very happy with the 361s

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
So - had a go at the 5K and this could well be my 'sign off' event for a while. I thought I'd give it a go and empty the tank. I've not run more than a 3K for 5 weeks so the tank wasn't exactly full. BUT, this was wind-assisted so I'm quite prepared to have this noted or not counted.

21.24 @ 78.38% - and it's very unlikely that I'll beat that for as long as I remain on the planet.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So - had a go at the 5K and this could well be my 'sign off' event for a while. I thought I'd give it a go and empty the tank. I've not run more than a 3K for 5 weeks so the tank wasn't exactly full. BUT, this was wind-assisted so I'm quite prepared to have this noted or not counted.

21.24 @ 78.38% - and it's very unlikely that I'll beat that for as long as I remain on the planet.

**** that’s made me cough out my strawberry ice cream with kefir. Must have been great fun.

However, it is a difficult decision to make. The rules have not been adhered to on a breezy day by following an out and back or circular course.

The best I can do is put it in the table but with a capital W next to your name to signify .........................wind assisted effort.

Feeling confident on knocking off a few seconds on my mile time next Tuesday.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
**** that’s made me cough out my strawberry ice cream with kefir. Must have been great fun.

However, it is a difficult decision to make. The rules have not been adhered to on a breezy day by following an out and back or circular course.

The best I can do is put it in the table but with a capital W next to your name to signify .........................wind assisted effort.

Feeling confident on knocking off a few seconds on my mile time next Tuesday.

Fair play Gaffer: I am a W. It was really a case of using the NSC challenge not as an end in itself but as the motivation to have a real go at a decent time/AG.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Strava changes: thoughts?

Personally, I'm probably going to upgrade and make the most of the services it offers. I don't begrudge chucking a bit of money Strava's way each month – it's a really good tool and I find it motivational.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here