Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not Boston lite.

There are events currently that employ a cut off time with sweepers removing those too slow from the course.

Most city races will have some form of cut-off as they need to re-open roads. London does; I remember there were complaints a few years back as the temps who had this task were verbally abusing those being ushered off the course.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The NSC GNT AG Mile Challenge when you're ready.

AG - age graded? I hope so, as I’ve seen that young whipper-snapper [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] mile PB :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not Boston lite.

There are events currently that employ a cut off time with sweepers removing those too slow from the course. I've read a few articles over the last few days about "limited social distancing". A Professor suggesting that pubs could open with every other seat occupied and a two to three pint limit (this link is one I googled just now but not the one I read before). In that "limited" state, the only way you'd put Brighton on is to remove the grandstand, get rid of the charity first timers and music stands and have it all done within a strict time window.

I'm not sure that's what Brighton is about personally. I'd rather it skipped two years and 2021 saw a larger number of small trail events.

EDIT - What I am also saying is that the rearranged 2020 in September will not be on. I'm not even going to bother upping my training beyond 10 or so miles.

I'm really not sure what is going on here - I'm answering your question as best I can, yet you seem somewhat prickly in response.

Maybe I just have a bit more of a negative outlook than others...

I just think by the time April comes around, mass-participation events of most kinds will be put on hold due to COVID-19.

It worries me too but then it would surely only be effective when combined with other restrictions on travel and going outdoors, things that could well restrict people's training anyway. I get the tube for over an hour to work sometimes, other times I am on internal flight regularly. TBH both of those seem just as risky but I can't see the whole country being shut down in such a manner. If Brighton were to go then London would certainly have to be binned and there are implications there for charities to lose millions.

Ah yes, this virus which affects almost nobody but we're meant to be considering it a global epidemic because the media are having a great time with it. The reporting is bordering on criminal in my opinion, massively unimpressed by the whole story and reporting. If the Brighton Marathon is off because of a fake health crisis, I'll be revolting! Revolting all over the place.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Most city races will have some form of cut-off as they need to re-open roads. London does; I remember there were complaints a few years back as the temps who had this task were verbally abusing those being ushered off the course.

Yeah, I thought sweeps were pretty common, although the only one I've taken any kind of interest in is the only race I'm likely to ever enter, which is the Disney World marathon (more specifically the "Dopey Challenge - 5km, 10km, half and full marathons on consecutive mornings), where they need to get people off the resort's internal roads so tourists can get to the theme parks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, I thought sweeps were pretty common, although the only one I've taken any kind of interest in is the only race I'm likely to ever enter, which is the Disney World marathon (more specifically the "Dopey Challenge - 5km, 10km, half and full marathons on consecutive mornings), where they need to get people off the resort's internal roads so tourists can get to the theme parks.

Walt Disney we’re heavily promoting their races at a US marathon expo I went to. I marvelled at the next level medals; some of the most fun and colourful I’ve seen. The Dopey one is studded with stones as well...it’s on the far left.

Attachments

• B4667815-4C31-4FC1-995A-A788EB5D14BA.jpeg
    B4667815-4C31-4FC1-995A-A788EB5D14BA.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 52

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Walt Disney we’re heavily promoting their races at a US marathon expo I went to. I marvelled at the next level medals; some of the most fun and colourful I’ve seen. The Dopey one is studded with stones as well...it’s on the far left.

They do, in normal times anyway, a whole load of themed race weekends now - Star Wars, Princess and Wine & Dine are the ones I can recall without looking them up. I'm not sure anyone looks for a fast time though, what with the character meet & greets and I think, on some, it's also possible to hop on a ride too!

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Thanks for above re running slower and being comfortable doing that. Have been running with my Dad over this period and he's about a 2hr 1/2 marathon speed. I have really enjoyed some of the evening 5milers etc without busting a gut and definitely felt better for it when running a little faster on my own. My target until lockdown is over is to get back under 20 mins for 5k (I can't seem to find it online but I did 19:40 at Tilgate Parkrun about 4 years ago), best effort so far is 20:10.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They do, in normal times anyway, a whole load of themed race weekends now - Star Wars, Princess and Wine & Dine are the ones I can recall without looking them up. I'm not sure anyone looks for a fast time though, what with the character meet & greets and I think, on some, it's also possible to hop on a ride too!

Cool or what?

Attachments

• F085DF48-678E-4591-B1D3-C7E6368B7D23.jpeg
    F085DF48-678E-4591-B1D3-C7E6368B7D23.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 51

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm really not sure what is going on here - I'm answering your question as best I can, yet you seem somewhat prickly in response.

Maybe I just have a bit more of a negative outlook than others...

I'm not prickly at all. You've answered fine. I had a different suggestion. That's all :shrug:

But just to be clear I think you're probably right that big town events can't happen normally in 2021. I'm suggesting a possible alternative. Like pubs, businesses et al I'm not sure how long BM and others could go on if they lost two events in a row. So I think they'll at least look in to it.

No bother either way though, I wasn't prickly at your post.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not prickly at all. You've answered fine. I had a different suggestion. That's all :shrug:

But just to be clear I think you're probably right that big town events can't happen normally in 2021. I'm suggesting a possible alternative. Like pubs, businesses et al I'm not sure how long BM and others could go on if they lost two events in a row. So I think they'll at least look in to it.

Fair enough!

I think the winter flu season, and how that combines with Covid-19, is going to be pretty key for many things. With the government getting a lot of criticism from many quarters for the (lack of) speed of the UK lockdown and events such as Cheltenham proceeding, they could be in a difficult place if the "regular" flu / Covid-19 combo makes for a very difficult winter for the NHS.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=9083]Anchorman[/MENTION] needs some time enjoying his Bronze position in the highly competitive Mile Challenge.

NAME GNT Mile AG GNT Mile Time
GNT 73.65% 6:33
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

But just to be clear ........

If you deny it for a third time we’ll think you’re being prickly!! 😀🌈

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Back from the mile. Set off far too quickly and continually dropped off. I knew I needed a pacer. Had to dig in, run round road works, shout a warning to a skateboarder but got 5:56 and 77.74%, if GNT doesn't rule it as 5:57.
Think I can improve on that with some speedwork and getting the vaporfly Next out of the box. It's great how so much pain can cheer you up.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/13900960

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Back from the mile. Set off far too quickly and continually dropped off. I knew I needed a pacer. Had to dig in, run round road works, shout a warning to a skateboarder but got 5:56 and 77.74%, if GNT doesn't rule it as 5:57.
Think I can improve on that with some speedwork and getting the vaporfly Next out of the box. It's great how so much pain can cheer you up.

Well done mate. That will take some beating. Not just by me (TBH your AG is so good that I can relax in the knowledge that realistically I won't beat it) but by anyone. I'm gutted as a I paid that skateboarder a tenner!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done mate. That will take some beating. Not just by me (TBH your AG is so good that I can relax in the knowledge that realistically I won't beat it) but by anyone. I'm gutted as a I paid that skateboarder a tenner!

I reckon I can beat it! Plus an [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] will be along soon.

It is my highest lifetime AG although it doesn't count as non race.

I think it's time we had an AG table that suits me........................the 800m NSC AG League.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Superb run. I’ve not even checked what 77.74% looks like for me but guaranteed I won’t get close.

The only threat is [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] and even the current poster boy and coach of NSC running will struggle with that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Superb run. I’ve not even checked what 77.74% looks like for me but guaranteed I won’t get close.

The only threat is [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] and even the current poster boy and coach of NSC running will struggle with that.

Depends on how old he is...

In his recent HM result he was in the V40 category which puts him 40-44.

Strava gives him a best estimated mile of 5:15.

5:15 for a 44-y-o comes in at 77.07% (74.77% for a 40-y-o).

However that 5:15 was supposedly part of that recent HM. If that is accurate, a standalone mile would surely be quicker. I think he'll take it.

Regardless, I'm pleased about all these fantastic times to start things off - it means I don't have to bother now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here