Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Done my run early this morning (6am alarm), will continue on this routine for social distancing purposes for this week.

Clocks change on Sunday so may affect my timings next week.

Best time of the day to run, eh [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] :lol:

No running for me today –*I went for a walk around the block – but I did do the Joe Wicks workout. Man alive! I might be marathon fit (at a push), but that was proof that I'm not ACTUALLY fit. Still, good fun and will probably carry on doing it...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Best time of the day to run, eh [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] :lol:

No running for me today –*I went for a walk around the block – but I did do the Joe Wicks workout. Man alive! I might be marathon fit (at a push), but that was proof that I'm not ACTUALLY fit. Still, good fun and will probably carry on doing it...

As I posted elsewhere I got out of bed this morning with a fair few aches, which I thought was a bit strange. It was only later I remembered the 9am "PE lesson" and realised that my aches were from yesterday's session with Joe.

This shouldn't have been a surprise as I did one of his HIIT sessions, daily, when I had my Achilles problem earlier this year and, day by day, the aches and stiffness just kept ramping up!

Like you say - we can out and run for miles and miles without any problem and suffer no ill effects, but when I start using other bits of my body, I realise how out of shape I actually am!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As I posted elsewhere I got out of bed this morning with a fair few aches, which I thought was a bit strange. It was only later I remembered the 9am "PE lesson" and realised that my aches were from yesterday's session with Joe.

This shouldn't have been a surprise as I did one of his HIIT sessions, daily, when I had my Achilles problem earlier this year and, day by day, the aches and stiffness just kept ramping up!

Like you say - we can out and run for miles and miles without any problem and not suffer no ill effects, but when I start using other bits of my body, I realise how out of shape I actually am!

No pain, no gain, Bozza!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Six miles for me today out in the glorious sunshine - the first two-and-a-bit on trails with my son for his timetabled exercise slot, and then I continued (to keep within the once-per-day rule!) for another three-and-a-bit of mainly roads including a big hill climb for some challenge.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Are we pariahs?

I'm trying very hard to be diligent in running early, picking quiet routes, maintaining distance where required and even wearing a neck warmer as a bloody mask, which is not fun. Despite all this, there seems to be quite a bit of dislike for us running types. A Paris based friend exhorted runners not to be "dicks" on Facebook. James O'Brien expressed some concern at the amount of runners' "sputum" out there this morning. NSC now has its own "clearly we all hate the NHS" thread aimed at anybody outdoors.

I'm not enjoying this. Running should be a pleasure, a release and some quality time with my own mind for company. Right now, it's starting to feel like a real guilt trip.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Are we pariahs?

I'm trying very hard to be diligent in running early, picking quiet routes, maintaining distance where required and even wearing a neck warmer as a bloody mask, which is not fun. Despite all this, there seems to be quite a bit of dislike for us running types. A Paris based friend exhorted runners not to be "dicks" on Facebook. James O'Brien expressed some concern at the amount of runners' "sputum" out there this morning. NSC now has its own "clearly we all hate the NHS" thread aimed at anybody outdoors.

I'm not enjoying this. Running should be a pleasure, a release and some quality time with my own mind for company. Right now, it's starting to feel like a real guilt trip.

I went out around lunchtime. Nods and smiles from others out walking, literally everyone out and about I encountered respected distancing. I wouldn't take too much notice of a few keyboard warriors to be honest - government are very clear about the mental health benefits of some form of exercise (hence it being allowed). Just go out on your own and keep your distance from everyone else.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Are we pariahs?

I went out last night at 20:10 with no real plan. Decided whilst running I'd run right through the centre of Brighton as it's a route I'd never do, due to how busy the streets are. Quite spooky running through Western Road with only the odd homeless person but loads of Deliveroo drivers all next to bikes on phones or queuing at KFC. Seafront at that time was completely deserted too.

Will go out again around 20:30 tonight as you will barely see anyone but this time a different route.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Are we pariahs?

I was out for four miles this morning and met (keeping at least 2m between us) a mix or runners, dog walkers, cyclists and people just out for a stroll (I'm talking about 20 people in c.35 mins; it wasn't 'busy'). All of them seemed happy enough and I said "Good morning" to most. I *did* however get some looks from people in cars (difficult to know their thoughts, of course), but there were a few stares and frowns.

The thing is, if they are out too, then they are as much of the problem (if it even IS a problem to do your allotted exercise for the day) as we are. Like Dazzer says, I'd ignore them.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yes, a FB group in the area I live are getting into a frenzy about runners running too close to them whilst their whole family (M&D + 2) are out walking the dog, prob for the 2nd or 3rd time that day.
I’m trying to see the best in everyone, FFS yesterday was the first day and things will soon settle.
Be polite, be sensible, follow the rules and enjoy your daily exercise.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Uh-oh.....:whistle:.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

From the BBC

Coronavirus: How long can I exercise for each day? And other questions

The UK government has introduced strict new measures to try to slow the spread of coronavirus.

Here are the answers to some of the most common readers' questions.

Is there a time limit on how long we can be outside for once-a-day exercise, and are we allowed to get in our car to travel to go for a walk? - Sam Fearn, York
The current government guidance is to take "one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk or cycle - alone or with members of your household".

No mention is given to the length of exercise, although Cabinet Minister Michael Gove said on Tuesday that "people can go for the standard length of run or walk that they ordinarily would have done. But… the important thing is, once a day".

Nothing expressly forbids people driving somewhere to go for a walk, but scenes last weekend - where tourist attractions such as Snowdonia attracted larger than usual crowds, and with them, the risk of spreading the virus - suggest that this may not be a good idea.

You should be extremely careful that you will be able to maintain a social distance of more than 2m (6ft) from other people wherever you go.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Things you do when you're bored...………

Having a break from running, I've switched to accumulating steps. Yesterday I managed just over 26,000 most of which were in my garden which is about 20 metres long. At the end as a kind of tribute to the guy who ran a marathon on his 7 metre balcony I thought I'd try 1km of running. This took me 8.17 and was one of the most tiring but definitely the slowest 1k I've ever run. How anyone managed 42 of these on a 7 metre space is beyond (my) imagination. But he was French.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Ran my first ever planned 5k today, by that I mean first time specifically running and measuring the distance and time. I’ve never really been a runner, but would say I’m relatively fit and do go to the gym a few times a week, although the rower is my usual source of cardio. Finished in 28:30, is that an okay time? And given that’s my ‘baseline’ before training, what would people say is a good target time to work towards?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ran my first ever planned 5k today, by that I mean first time specifically running and measuring the distance and time. I’ve never really been a runner, but would say I’m relatively fit and do go to the gym a few times a week, although the rower is my usual source of cardio. Finished in 28:30, is that an okay time? And given that’s my ‘baseline’ before training, what would people say is a good target time to work towards?

Very decent.You'll see that time plummet if you stick with it.

I'd set your sights on 25 minutes to start with (essentially 8 minute miles), but expect to be having a faster goal before long.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went out around 9:15pm last night, which was silly given the beautiful weather during the day. Accuweather was giving a real feel of 0 degrees when I went out.

Did a touch over 5 miles @ 7:19" pace, finishing up at my local Tesco Express at 9:55 - they close at 10. With no one else in there, I popped in and ApplePay-ed for a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc which I took home, opened and finished to rehydrate. Not sure why RunnersWorld have not covered this tactic before...

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Very decent.You'll see that time plummet if you stick with it.

I'd set your sights on 25 minutes to start with (essentially 8 minute miles), but expect to be having a faster goal before long.

Thanks, I’m pretty young so that’s probably helpful but like i say I’ve never really stuck with running but think 5k is a nice round amount from which I can try and improve and get faster within. When I’m a bit more comfortable with pacing (which I don’t have a clue about atm) I’ll up the distance. I was tired afterwards but definitely felt I could go faster as there was something left in the tank. Also, is there a big difference between treadmill running and running outside? Cheers for the advice

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm on the self-isolation injury bench.

Had a head cold (sneezing and runny nose) after my last 10 miler on Sunday. By yesterday it was in my lungs as an annoying intermittent cough. I would say I'm 99% sure it's not corona but there is absolutely no way I'm going to go for a run to find out until it has buggered off.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks, I’m pretty young so that’s probably helpful but like i say I’ve never really stuck with running but think 5k is a nice round amount from which I can try and improve and get faster within. When I’m a bit more comfortable with pacing (which I don’t have a clue about atm) I’ll up the distance. I was tired afterwards but definitely felt I could go faster as there was something left in the tank. Also, is there a big difference between treadmill running and running outside? Cheers for the advice

I've only run on a treadmill very, very rarely. I can't even recall the last time I did - 10 years ago maybe.
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] might be able to better advise on how performance can differ between treadmills and the "real world"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've only run on a treadmill very, very rarely. I can't even recall the last time I did - 10 years ago maybe.

[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] might be able to better advise on how performance can differ between treadmills and the "real world"

There's a good article on RW from a while back that catches most of it I think (link below). I use the tready quite often (often simply due to lack of time between meetings, quicker to jump of the treadmill in the office gym than get outside) but mostly use it for interval session as it's easy to be disciplined about time and pace

Personally I find running on a treadmill much harder. I also simply can't match my pace on a treadmill compared to flat road outdoors for any length of time. There is one school of thought this is down to PRE, so start any treadmill session on a decent incline and then running on flat (or near - 1% always suggested to closer replicate road) seems easier.

https://www.runnersworld.com/traini...readmill-running-compared-to-running-outside/

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
There's a good article on RW from a while back that catches most of it I think (link below). I use the tready quite often (often simply due to lack of time between meetings, quicker to jump of the treadmill in the office gym than get outside) but mostly use it for interval session as it's easy to be disciplined about time and pace

Personally I find running on a treadmill much harder. I also simply can't match my pace on a treadmill compared to flat road outdoors for any length of time. There is one school of thought this is down to PRE, so start any treadmill session on a decent incline and then running on flat (or near - 1% always suggested to closer replicate road) seems easier.

https://www.runnersworld.com/traini...readmill-running-compared-to-running-outside/

Yeah I set the incline to 2 as I’ve heard it is better in regards to impact and injury prevention. I’ve tried outdoor running but for whatever reason it’s not for me, and I’ve never stuck with it. Too many variables. My main experience on a treadmill is actually incline walking, setting the machine on max incline and a slow and steady pace for a prolonged period. To be honest the 5k running felt easier, certainly was less out of steam compared to roughly the same time period walking incline

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here