Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm also missing the Arena 10k due to son number one's football. Funnily enough we (Southwick Rangers U9s) are away to Seagulls at...............................Middle Road.

I will either wave to you running somewhere at the crack of birdshit or at the park :wave:

Shoreham U7s are against Seagulls (pretty sure it's not their home ground as well!), and Can't remember who the U12 are against. I'll probably be out for a slightly shorter run, and starting slightly later too! Might see you twice!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I am looking to buy a GPS watch to record my running rather than using my phone! I dont want to spend too much, so am looking at this option

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/tomtom-runner-gps-00-760210?colcode=76021058

Anyone know if they are any good or does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers

Just entered the Seaford 10 mile on the 6th December (get a mice pie at the end!)
http://www.seafordstriders.org.uk/Newsite/online-entry-now-live-for-the-mince-pie-ten/

So I now have lined up
6/12 Seaford Mice Pie Run - 10 miles
21/2 Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon
28/2 Brighton Half Marathon
20/3 North London Half Marathon (finish line in Wembley Stadium)

Waiting for the ballot result to find out about the 2016 London Marathon

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I am looking to buy a GPS watch to record my running rather than using my phone! I dont want to spend too much, so am looking at this option

Cheers

Just entered the Seaford 10 mile on the 6th December (get a mice pie at the end!)
http://www.seafordstriders.org.uk/Newsite/online-entry-now-live-for-the-mince-pie-ten/

So I now have lined up

Thus should help

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/07/tomtom-runner-multisport.html

It's a very in depth site so should give you lots of options.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Cheers

So I now have lined up

Mrs Orange got me a TomTom Runner watch for my 40th, and I've been very happy with it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Last BBQ of the summer for us last night (quite literally, the gas ran out halfway through) with some chums round to watch the rugby. I wasn't at my freshest so was very pleased to run a PB on my 8 mile loop of 1.11.10 at average 8.53 miles. Didn't see Greg.

It was CHILLY when I left and soon I will be putting the running gloves and long sleeved top on I would think. Do any of you use LEGWARMERS? Any good / bad / avoid totally brands if you do?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Last BBQ of the summer for us last night (quite literally, the gas ran out halfway through) with some chums round to watch the rugby. I wasn't at my freshest so was very pleased to run a PB on my 8 mile loop of 1.11.10 at average 8.53 miles. Didn't see Greg.

It was CHILLY when I left and soon I will be putting the running gloves and long sleeved top on I would think. Do any of you use LEGWARMERS? Any good / bad / avoid totally brands if you do?
By coincidence WE had a barbecue yesterday where the gas ran out. You wouldn't have seen me GB - I headed west along the A27 to the turnoff near that private hospital (Swandean, or something) and then down the road to Worthing Leisure centre, and on to the coast.

Lovely run along the seafront as the sun was rising and then around Shoreham Beach.

18 miles; 2hrs 30.

After last week's effort I was a little worried about how it wood be in IOW race day, but I'm sure I'll be fine. One thing I think I need to do (which I never do normally because it's too early) is eat.

Any suggestions of what will keep me going without struggling after 20/21 miles?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Beautiful weather this morning for the Arena 80 10k. I haven't had my official race time through yet, but I clocked it as 40:42 which is a 46 second pb so very pleased with that.

Between now and November 15th I've got to take of the final 43 seconds to reach my target of sub 40 this year but I have a feeling this is going to be tough as ran a good race today with pretty consistent miles apart from the first.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/904857704

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
By coincidence WE had a barbecue yesterday where the gas ran out. You wouldn't have seen me GB - I headed west along the A27 to the turnoff near that private hospital (Swandean, or something) and then down the road to Worthing Leisure centre, and on to the coast.

Lovely run along the seafront as the sun was rising and then around Shoreham Beach.

18 miles; 2hrs 30.

After last week's effort I was a little worried about how it wood be in IOW race day, but I'm sure I'll be fine. One thing I think I need to do (which I never do normally because it's too early) is eat.

Any suggestions of what will keep me going without struggling after 20/21 miles?

Always porridge and banana's for me (large portion) between 2 and 2.5 hours before the race, then shit loads of energy drinks, gels and jelly babies.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Beautiful weather this morning for the Arena 80 10k. I haven't had my official race time through yet, but I clocked it as 40:42 which is a 46 second pb so very pleased with that.

Between now and November 15th I've got to take of the final 43 seconds to reach my target of sub 40 this year but I have a feeling this is going to be tough as ran a good race today with pretty consistent miles apart from the first.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/904857704
That's great going, fella.

I was watching Jnr Bobkin's football today and the friend of one of the mums came along after having run it and got a PB.

'What time did you do?', I ask. '36 [something]' she replied. Turns out it was Emily Proto, who won the damn thing!

Thanks for the nutritional advice. Don't normally eat during runs (and may not for IOW), but might try for marathons next year. But hitting 21 miles empty last week was a bit of a wake up call.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

18 miles; 2hrs 30.

Great minds.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on here for marathon hydration and nutrition strategies. When I go out early for my half marathon loop round Shoreham I have brown rice or pasta as part of the evening meal and a bowl of fruit granola with semi skimmed milk between an hour and hour and a half before I leave which seems to do the the trick. Mainly use that because I'm not a fan of the texture of porridge.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

18 miles; 2hrs 30.

Combination of more taining, and definitely fuelling. I have had the same problem for years (dying on my arse after 3 hours) in most marathons I've done. Experimenting again with gels now, will see how it goes on next few events. It's not an issue on the ultras because I tend to start taking (real) food on early in the race, and pace is slower but I think at marathon pace the fat/glycogen burn ratio is more of the latter, so needs to be topped up. Keep experimenting - last week I took 2 different gel types, one almost instantly gave me stomach pains (torq), the other was fine (gu). Probably down the the high fructose content of the torq gels but will keep testing.

Edit - by the way I don't think what you eat before makes much difference. Your body stores about 2 hours worth of glycogen regardless. No amount of carb loading will change that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Edit - by the way I don't think what you eat before makes much difference. Your body stores about 2 hours worth of glycogen regardless. No amount of carb loading will change that.

I've recently changed to the small bowl of granola and fruit an hour before routine from running my early runs on empty a while ago (and also experimented with toast). I am running faster and further than I have ever done since I did so while my weight has remained resolutely at 83k and refuses to budge in either direction (eating large quantities of healthy food on a long run day but still having beer / wine / meat / cake blowouts when an occasion demands it)/

Do you reckon the Granola is a placebo and it's just as a result of better training?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
There is increasing evidence behind some starved training to increase fat burning ability (not for weight loss but metabolic economy) is useful but only 1 or 2 sessions a week.

This just involves lower intensity exercise in the morning with no breakfast. Also no carbs for first 1-2 hours depending on existing fitness.

The intensity has to be low as high intensity workouts should be done with good care stores to maximise training effect.

Also, it's suggested not to eat in a 2 hour window before training as you may be in the post-carb dip as you begin training. Of course, life gets in the way of the ideal!

Fuelling on long runs is a matter of preference but the body is limited to processing about 60g carbs an hour (about 3 gels).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Combination of more taining, and definitely fuelling. I have had the same problem for years (dying on my arse after 3 hours) in most marathons I've done. Experimenting again with gels now, will see how it goes on next few events. It's not an issue on the ultras because I tend to start taking (real) food on early in the race, and pace is slower but I think at marathon pace the fat/glycogen burn ratio is more of the latter, so needs to be topped up. Keep experimenting - last week I took 2 different gel types, one almost instantly gave me stomach pains (torq), the other was fine (gu). Probably down the the high fructose content of the torq gels but will keep testing.

This is the issue I have. I don't really want to start with the gels now, not with such a short amount of time before race day. I used to take on a lot of gels when Tri training, but have never traditionally eaten mid-race for runs. I know you say eating before doesn't make a difference, but surely taking on SOMETHING is better than nothing (which is what I do now)?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've recently changed to the small bowl of granola and fruit an hour before routine from running my early runs on empty a while ago (and also experimented with toast). I am running faster and further than I have ever done since I did so while my weight has remained resolutely at 83k and refuses to budge in either direction (eating large quantities of healthy food on a long run day but still having beer / wine / meat / cake blowouts when an occasion demands it)/

Do you reckon the Granola is a placebo and it's just as a result of better training?

I'm no expert at all, but I'd be tempted to say it is more about you getting fitter than what you're eating. But I could be way off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here