Official Running Thread

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
First run in a week yesterday after a brief hospital stay for a dodgy heart rhythm!

Heart was fine but the hip has stiffened so much in a week! Amazing how even a short "rest" and you feel so stiff.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
5K?! That's put a massive smile on my face!

That's a good read as well. Not quitting seems like a better goal than weight loss.

My primary goal is weight loss but the improvement in performance and the desire to see how far you can get is addictive as well.

About 10 weeks ago I did my first run and it was very similar to yours. Yesterday I ran a half-marathon distance for the first time ever and my pace for those 13 and a bit miles was significantly faster than my pace for those three and a bit miles 10 weeks ago.

The rate the human body improves is amazing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Vaselines a good tip but after time and a few scabs they toughen up and it's no longer a problem.

They've been fine for the last year since I started but this weekend went ballistic. Perhaps it's pre marathon nerves?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well, just back from a run. Pretty pathetic compared to the feats in this thread but I managed a whopping 3 miles at 12 minutes average pace. I'm pleased with it. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?

Absolutely, my first run was about 3km and took about half an hour! Shocking effort, given how much football and tennis I was playing at the time. Saturday just passed I ran a half marathon (13 miles/ 21km) in 1:45, which included running from the St Dunstans school up to the Woodingdean - Falmer footpath, and then all of the big bad Bear Road! Progression is the key.

Get along to Parkrun on a saturday morning, either Hove Park or Preston Park. Starts at 9am, professionally run event which is free to run and has many hundred people. Enjoy.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Absolutely, my first run was about 3km and took about half an hour! Shocking effort, given how much football and tennis I was playing at the time. Saturday just passed I ran a half marathon (13 miles/ 21km) in 1:45, which included running from the St Dunstans school up to the Woodingdean - Falmer footpath, and then all of the big bad Bear Road! Progression is the key.

Get along to Parkrun on a saturday morning, either Hove Park or Preston Park. Starts at 9am, professionally run event which is free to run and has many hundred people. Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that for next weekend!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Good luck to everyone running Sunday, will come down and cheer you all on. To anyone who has not done it before you will feel such a sense of achievement and pride when you finish.

Still got two weeks to the London Marathon for me. Did my last 20 mile run today but I have got no idea what my finishing time will be. Even after 2 previous marathons it still seems guesswork to how I will hold up on those last 6 miles.

Going to run 7 miles tomorrow and that will be it for me

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Just done my last 10k training run before Sunday's BM 10k -- managed around 50 mins on a hilly route without really going for it, so I'm fairly confident of beating my Brooks 10k time from November (just over 50 mins) on the flat route with the extra race adrenaline. However, I've just noticed a nasty twinge in one ankle so I'm a bit worried I might have over done it in the last week -- just gentle jogs for me now before Sunday.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Welcome aboard!

That's 5km, give or take. A lot of folk follow a programme to get to 5k and you're already there.

As a related aside, I enjoyed this quick read this morning: https://medium.com/this-happened-to-me/i-ran-for-a-year-9ab3cc1292a8

That is a pretty nice article, and I too belatedly have joined the 5k in 8 weeks programme generation. Sick of being sedentary all day and this little step into the fitness world gets me outside to try and feel a little better. I am ashamed to say that I my initial forays into have confirmed that this is something I need to do! Enjoying the first week so far and like the author of the article am aiming to not quit. Well that's what i'm saying to myself right now anyway.

I am full of awe and admiration for all those taking part in the marathon this weekend. It really is a tremendous feat, no matter what time you do. I salute you all.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Just got back from my lunchtime run of this 5.8 mile route around the North Downs. I was about a minute quicker than last week, so clocking just under 8 minute miles. I'm hoping all this hill work will help get me that sub-20 minute Park Run time I'm looking for, I did a pb of 20:05 on Saturday, so I'm very close!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here