Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great efforts all-round from the 4 NSC park runners that met up today. Sub 21 minute times for 3 of them which was a first for me and a PB by around 8 seconds.

Hopefully this is something we can regularly complete at least once a month.

Yes. Good to meet you all today. Well done to Big Nuts on a PB and for modestly not mentioning he takes home the virtual gold medal for the first NSC Parkrun challenge.
I seem to have come up as an unknown on the results so don't have an official time under 21!

I agree would be good to repeat - say every first Saturday or first home game Saturday of the month. Maybe we could take in some of the other local Parkruns and see who else will join in.

now for the small matter of three points this afternoon!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done The Hove Park 5. Good effort by all. I wish I had put a reverse trio bet on three of us finishing consecutively. I managed my best time in over 5 years by one second and will now have to wear the Lucky Brighton away shirt in the Brooks 10k next Sunday where I will be hoping to do the Steve Ovett shoulder sitting on Bignuts(where Ovett wins not collapses).

Once a month sounds good to me and will be back for 25 Jan or 1st February. Now for the three pints and three points.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Top work fellas. Can't wait to get down to one of these, hope you'll wait for me at the finish :)

I'd be up for revisiting the Hove Park run as well.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
This is my splits according to Garmin.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/628575399

I'll look forward to seeing Knocky on my shoulder for the 10k a'la Ovett, the aim is sub 45 which again would be a first for me.

I think I'll take it relatively easy this week, maybe a easy paced 8 around Tuesday Wednesday then ready for Sunday.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This is my splits according to Garmin.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/628575399

I'll look forward to seeing Knocky on my shoulder for the 10k a'la Ovett, the aim is sub 45 which again would be a first for me.

I think I'll take it relatively easy this week, maybe a easy paced 8 around Tuesday Wednesday then ready for Sunday.

We have to aim at sub 44.00. 7 min to 7:10 for first half then 6.45 to 7:00 min miles second half. You can follow me if you like and do the Steve Ovett at the finish. 6x1/4 miles fartlek wednesday or Thursday will be part of my preparation.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
We have to aim at sub 44.00. 7 min to 7:10 for first half then 6.45 to 7:00 min miles second half. You can follow me if you like and do the Steve Ovett at the finish. 6x1/4 miles fartlek wednesday or Thursday will be part of my preparation.

I would be delighted with sub 44 and the pace you suggest seems the right way to go about it so I'm up for giving it a shot. I think I'm capable of 7:00/7:10 all the way through at present.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Top work fellas. Can't wait to get down to one of these, hope you'll wait for me at the finish :)
Likewise - will aim to join you guys next time round. Am pushing more towards the 22-23 min bracket currently, although I see sub 21 as a realistic long-term aim so it seems those who ran this morning will be setting a decent pace to try and keep with (in time..).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great efforts all-round from the 4 NSC park runners that met up today. Sub 21 minute times for 3 of them which was a first for me and a PB by around 8 seconds.

Hopefully this is something we can regularly complete at least once a month.

Yeah, I let the side down, I'm afraid. I'm over two minutes away from my PB - not good...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone have any tips for addressing plantar fasciitis?

Foot rolling worked for me (physios instructions). Roll a tennis ball under your foot for 10 mins 3 times a day (I kept one under my desk at work), when the pain from that is completely bearable, upgrade to a golf ball. Also worth rolling using a small frozen bottle. Hope it clears up quickly - usually does if you attack it early.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yeah, I let the side down, I'm afraid. I'm over two minutes away from my PB - not good...

Am I right in thinking you clocked 21:15? Only 18 seconds back which is very little. Amazing that only 18 seconds separated all 4 of us so definitely good to have people around you or similar ability.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I ran my November Half Marathon today, Marina to Shoreham and back again. It was my intention to run along the small pier at Shoreham and loop back around again but I got halfway and got SMASHED by a wave over the top so I did an about turn and got the Christ out of there. It was brutally tough on the way back, with the wind. I hit a total of 21.7km, in 1:57:40. I'm a bit disappointed with the time in the end, but the wind was very strong on the way back and I struggled. I'd run a good pace for the first 14km, but the turnaround at Shoreham hit me hard.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone have any tips for addressing plantar fasciitis?

Yes. I had this really bad about 7 years ago in both feet. Took me 6 months to get rid of it. I had a series of exercises which I did for approx 15 mins when I woke up, at lunch time and after work. 7.5 mins per foot. They were designed to stretch the achilles/calf and the sole of my foot and take the tension off the tendon under the foot so it could heal properly during the day.

If memory serves me correctly I did the classic calf stretch whilst pushing a wall, I then did the version of this with the knee bent so it stretched the achilles. I then did a version of this with one foot behind the other but with my big toe raised and pressing against the heel of my other foot in front to stretch the plantar itself. 30 seconds of each which makes 1.5 minutes a set, x 5. Hope this makes sense.

But, it might make sense to go and see this person http://www.brightonpodiatry.co.uk/

She sorted me out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I ran my November Half Marathon today, Marina to Shoreham and back again. It was my intention to run along the small pier at Shoreham and loop back around again but I got halfway and got SMASHED by a wave over the top so I did an about turn and got the Christ out of there. It was brutally tough on the way back, with the wind. I hit a total of 21.7km, in 1:57:40. I'm a bit disappointed with the time in the end, but the wind was very strong on the way back and I struggled. I'd run a good pace for the first 14km, but the turnaround at Shoreham hit me hard.

Good effort !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First 5k today in eight and a half years. Let's just say the time can only serve as a starting point but, still, no walking, stopping or passing out. Now for 10.....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I would be delighted with sub 44 and the pace you suggest seems the right way to go about it so I'm up for giving it a shot. I think I'm capable of 7:00/7:10 all the way through at present.

After last Saturday's effort at Hove Park, trying to keep up with you youngsters, I have decided to hold back on pace in the 10k on Sunday. So good luck. Idon't want an injury before next weeks trek and the way I felt last Sunday and Monday that would be very likely if I pushed myself again.
As to Hove Park the new sub 21:00 for 2015 has to be sub 20:30. Once the minor issue of the marathon is out the way, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here