Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just for fun really at this range, but I do have a lot of time for Gavin's updates.

Enjoy. Merry Christmas

That is a snow lover's wet dream but all complete nonsense of course. We have had a harsher time already than last winter with 4 nights below freezing this week but it looks like the Southerlies will be back next week and when the SW's set in they are NEVER removed so it looks like it will revert to being a very mild winter again from next week for the next 3 months

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That is a snow lover's wet dream but all complete nonsense of course. We have had a harsher time already than last winter with 4 nights below freezing this week but it looks like the Southerlies will be back next week and when the SW's set in they are NEVER removed so it looks like it will revert to being a very mild winter again from next week for the next 3 months

Excellent Uncle I'll get the sledge out then......

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

if you've been following any forecasts you should know that whilst it will get warmer next week for a few days we will return to colder conditions shortly after.

Your predictions are based on what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Award-Winning Official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2016-17 Season]

I love all this long range guesswork. Given the forecast is pretty crap half the time 24 hours ahead, difficult to place a lot of credibility on anything..........

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
if you've been following any forecasts you should know that whilst it will get warmer next week for a few days we will return to colder conditions shortly after.

John Titor

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Well as I cold lover and someone that understands charts without claiming kowing how they evolve, I have looked at all of the current data and I just cannot see where you are finding these colder conditions.

Last weeks charts were encouraging, slight easterly blocking which for me always offers windows of opportunities, however latest charts even into FI are big South Westerly draws and nothing cold.

Yet .................

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
What does Papa and his mate Gavin think? We have had a couple of days now since the video update??

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
2/12/16 update was much harder to get wood to. Standard Atlantic fare with a chance of slightly colder stuff thrown in towards the end of the month. Think Gav's doing another tonight.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We have a bit of seasonal weather which was nice with 5 nights below freezing last week and below normal daytime temperatures but all signs now are that is it. We will be back to the endless SW winds from tomorrow for the next 3 months, like last year and most before that and temperatures climbing to 60 F by the end of the week. As we know once the SW's are here they never go away. It is a shame as the early signs were promising

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We have a bit of seasonal weather which was nice with 5 nights below freezing last week and below normal daytime temperatures but all signs now are that is it. We will be back to the endless SW winds from tomorrow for the next 3 months, like last year and most before that and temperatures climbing to 60 F by the end of the week. As we know once the SW's are here they never go away. It is a shame as the early signs were promising

Your position intrigues me, accepting that you are backing the overwhelming favourite of non cold or sever cold weather due to our geographic credentials, why would any current charts necessarily indicate anything mild or cold further upstream.

Forecasters far more qualified and with more access to data find it nearly impossible to predict anything too far ahead, they try and lend science to their predictions, but still more than not cannot offer anything substaintive beyong a fairly small reliable time frame.

What I am really saying is why did you see those 'early signs' that havent as yet materialise as now defunct, yet you seem to see current charts as somehow a guarantee of only mild South Westerlies that cannot too become defunct and return to colder conditions, if you see what I mean ......

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As in football one game at a time ...I'll take the weather forecast one week at a time ..as in the Championship almost anything is possible, I'll do likewise with this Winter..it ain't over yet by a long chalk Imho

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
To answer the question earlier, there is still no strong indicator for much colder weather in the medium term, BUT there is a lot of uncertainty for any outcome. Some scenarios DO deliver colder weather, but without an real support.

graphe_ens3_oeq5.gif

larus

I really don't get this negativity. You sound like someone who is having a strop because you've been told off :bigwave:

All of the models are struggling to agree any consistent view and often change between each run. I'm quite optimistic of some good spells of cold stuff this winter, but we have to accept where we are (geographically) and our climate is dictated by the Gulf Stream. The Siberian Snow cover is high, the Arctic Ice Growth is low this year and the ENSO index is still not flipped to La Nina conditions. There are signs that blocking is trying to build, but the exact location of this (if it happens) dramatically impacts us.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We will see but the signs are now set for prolonged very mild SW's for several weeks now

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Is there another forum anywhere in the world (bar weather forums obviously) with so many weather experts. Its a fun read.

Im still rooting for the flumping to come over the Christmas Period..............the reason why is that i work at Gatwick and they are gearing up for a cold spell, all staff who operate the snow ploughs have been put on 24 hour notice to respond starting from next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here