Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Right lets get this straight Starbucks in ST JAMES' street is not in Kemp Town....

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

....no matter what South Today report!!

Surely anything that gives the druggie, northern homeless and dole scrounger:p infested area a semblance of ongoing corporate presence should be welcome, apart from Scumerfield and the Bookies no other big high street name would touch that area with a barge pole. So be grateful Starbucks is there perhaps it will encourage other retailers back.

I did not detect one BRIGHTON accent in those people interviewed:nono: well maybe just the one!!!

I lived in Kemp Town in the late sixties and walked the full length of St James's Street at least twice a day. If you were looking for "seedy and scummy", it was back in those days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Surely anything that gives the druggie, northern homeless and dole scrounger:p infested area a semblance of ongoing corporate presence should be welcome, apart from Scumerfield and the Bookies no other big high street name would touch that area with a barge pole. So be grateful Starbucks is there perhaps it will encourage other retailers back.

I did not detect one BRIGHTON accent in those people interviewed:nono: well maybe just the one!!!

...what's a Brighton accent?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Where does Kemp Town start as a friend of mine ran The Golden Cannon some years ago and he said he lived in Kemp Town and wasnt the old original Kemptown Brewery, not the reasonably new micro brewery, situated just at the top of St James's Street.

Where does Kemp Town start as a friend of mine ran The Golden Cannon some years ago and he said he lived in Kemp Town and wasnt the old original Kemptown Brewery, not the reasonably new micro brewery, situated just at the top of St James's Street.
Jumping into dangerous waters ...

Kemp Town starts at Bedford Street and extends as far as Sussex Square / Lewes Crescent.

St James's Street isn't in Kemp Town. It's the road that takes you to Kemp Town.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So he was right he did live in Kemp Town as the pub is listed as 21- 222 St Georges Road which is just east of the bend of Upper St Jamees's St. Where was the original Kemp Town Brewery, in which street.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

my wife's gran ran the golden cannon during and after the war...40's/50's

So he was right he did live in Kemp Town as the pub is listed as 21- 222 St Georges Road which is just east of the bend of Upper St Jamees's St. Where was the original Kemp Town Brewery, in which street.

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__7858_path__0p116p179p1446p.aspx

[quoting from NSC's very own History Man's excellent Encyclopaedia of Brighton]

KEMP TOWN BREWERY, Seymour Street: Founded by William Hallett as the Bristol Brewery in about the 1840s, it was later taken over by the Abbey family and became the Kemp Town Brewery in 1933. In 1963 it was taken over by Charringtons, but brewing ceased in April 1964 and it became empty in 1966. The main buildings were sold in January 1970 for the development of Seymour Square. There was also a malting at the corner of Eastern Road and Sutherland Road, a site now used by Brighton College. In 1989 a new Kemp Town Brewery opened at the Hand in Hand public house in Upper St James's Street.

All in the area that I think of as Kemp Town.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
mY friend Bryn Heaver and his wife ran it in the early 70s from about 69-75 I think. Prior to that they were managers of The Downview opposite West Worthing station when it was a very busy pub.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
St james street IS kemp town. :thumbsup:

Thomas Kemp originally planned to build TWO Kemp Towns, but only started one of them.

The first was Sussex Square, Lewes Crescent, Arundel Terrace and Chichester Terrace. The second was going to be in Hove.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
You ever been in the Boozer "Thomas Kemp" - Used to be a cracking pub, called the Polar Bar - Table Football, Pool. Perfect.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton

Er yes it is Tim

Learn to read a map old boy.

D

Deleted User X18H

Er yes it is Tim

Learn to read a map old boy.
No and Ed ,The Council guru (and SCR's new Dripping Pan pitchside reporter) concurs as I stated Kemp Town starts around Atlingworth Street and continues to RSCH!!! Just out of interest Stewie whats opposite this Starbucks I 've forgotten?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here