Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Freakonomics. Been out a while now but genuinely interesting. What do school teachers and Sumo wrestlers have in common? And why do most drug dealers live with their parents?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Struggling through Don Quixote. Whilst I am enjoying it, your man Don Quioxte being a genuinely funny character, it is a bit rambling.

Took me a fair while to read that, very enjoyable picaresque though.

Currently reading Working The Room by Geoff Dyer, a collection of essays.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Started on The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell (the novelist, not the smug comedian) on holiday. Left it at my mums house in France by accident. So good I'm going to buy it again so I can carry on straight away,

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just finished Good Morning Mr Mandela by Zelda Le Grange, his PA. A pretty good read and interesting if you like that sort of thing. She tells a few stories about some of the goings on surrounding the last few months of his life and the farce of a funeral and is rather scathing of some of the elements of the ANC and some of his family members. Overall, a decent read if that is your thing.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Freakonomics. Been out a while now but genuinely interesting. What do school teachers and Sumo wrestlers have in common? And why do most drug dealers live with their parents?

The first two thirds are very interesting. Then it gets very dull, very quickly

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Any Human Heart - William Boyd. My new favourite author.
Captain Scott - Ranulph Fiennes. Just wow.

Yes... Any Human Heart is a brilliant book, a vivid and deeply moving account of what it means to be human.
If you're enjoying that, I'd strongly recommend Boyd's The New Confessions. It's literary equal if not better.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Yes... Any Human Heart is a brilliant book, a vivid and deeply moving account of what it means to be human.
If you're enjoying that, I'd strongly recommend Boyd's The New Confessions. It's literary equal if not better.

Agreed re New Confessions, brilliant.
Currently working my way through a fairly recent novel of his - Ordinary Thunderstorms. Pretty average sadly. Reads similar to a Roy Grace and, without wishing to be disrespectful to Peter James, was expecting a bit more depth from a Boyd book.

Been recommended Flash Boys by Michael Lewis - anyone read it?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
This. Again. Don't normally do fiction but am revisiting some from my youth. image.jpg
What crisis?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Stoner was okay, but there was a vague whiff of disappointment about it that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

I recall thinking it was very special but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away so will see how I feel second time around.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm just going to start Henry Miller's Tropic of Capricorn

The blurb promises a smut-fest, so should be a banger :)

It's not all that much: get hold of his Sexus, that's certainly a, er, banger.

I'm currently reading Vanishing Kingdoms by Norman Davies - it's about all the countries that used to exist but have now been subsumed by larger ones - well researched and brilliantly written, he has a droll sense of humour

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I recall thinking it was very special but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away so will see how I feel second time around.

Butcher's Crossing, also by John Williams, is as good if not better than Stoner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here