[Technology] Macbook Pro won't turn on

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
Ah, not sure then. I’ve had MBPs from 2013, 2016, 2107, 2019, 2021 and 2022 (and Macbook Airs since then) and haven’t seen a total failure to charge. Apple Store or local approved repair shop sounds like the best bet

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Ah, not sure then. I’ve had MBPs from 2013, 2016, 2107, 2019, 2021 and 2022 (and Macbook Airs since then) and haven’t seen a total failure to charge. Apple Store or local approved repair shop sounds like the best bet
Total failure to turn on. It might be fine charge wise. Plus it just seemed to die when unused in her bag and had charge at the time .

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
you probably tried this:

If your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is equipped with the Apple T2 Security Chip, try resetting it to see if it solves your bootup problems. The process is simple: hold down the power button for 10 seconds and then release it. Wait a few seconds and then press the power button again to see if your MacBook turns on.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well she's given me all her passwords/apple id and I'm taking it into work with me in Bristol in the morning. I have an appointment in the afternoon at the Genius Bar ( eff. me, how pretentious? I thought she was joking when she told me). Fingers crossed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m no expert but this sounds like a power or battery issue as opposed to a hard drive issue; your daughter’s work should be okay once you can get the machine to start again.

Good luck.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Is the work solely saved on the machine and not backed up on them cloud somewhere? Maybe something to consider when the tech plays up. Hope you get it sorted as I'm sure your daughter doesn't need the stress

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is the work solely saved on the machine and not backed up on them cloud somewhere? Maybe something to consider when the tech plays up. Hope you get it sorted as I'm sure your daughter doesn't need the stress
This.

The Genius Bar will get you sorted out, but once they do and you're up and running again, ensure she has iCloud Drive turned on. This means in case of technical failure, loss or theft etc, you can simply go to https://www.icloud.com/ from any machine to get access to her files.

In fact if she does have it turned on and has an iPhone, she can open the Files all on there to see.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Cost of repair (Inc. VAT) £1089.

I walked out, somewhat in shock, with a brand new Macbook Air, and a still broken Macbook Pro.
Bugger me - you can buy two very decent Windows laptops for that repair price ! What did they say was wrong ? Can your daughter get to her data now ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports