Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Zarah Sultana MP on the wrong track

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here's the thing, though - they don't.

Southern; Thameslink; Gatwick Express - they're all just brand names of the same company, Govia Thameslink Railway.

Are you saying that even the illusion of competition is fake? Crikey!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Here's the thing, though - they don't.

Southern; Thameslink; Gatwick Express - they're all just brand names of the same company, Govia Thameslink Railway.

I know, pointed out on nsc several times before.

But on Sunday we were refused entry at Victoria onto GE trains, because we ‘only’ had Southern tickets. Madness. [NSC rail experts tell me that I can challenge that in law … how do you do that when they control the barriers and are belligerent? When trying to have a nice day out]. It’s silly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It used to be a duty of government, not the opposition, to exemplify and uphold truth in politics and public life.

When a government not only fails in that duty, but carries on regardless despite being shown up numerous times, its pretty much the end of democracy.

Only if the electorate fail in their duty to boot the buggers out at the next available opportunity.

We shall have a test to see how highly the electorate rate honour versus hubris, and indeed truth versus lies, in a couple of years.

The torybots are already mobilizing however so watch out. Even on NSC we have people claiming that Trump would have saved the word from evil Biden, and that labour is being run by a woman who doesn't even know who owns her train. And yes, the torybot foot soldiers are rushing forth to tell us all that it is these that are the important things right now. Brexit is done. Everything that Truss does is correct, and everything useless Starmer does is wrong. Cool narrative, no?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I think bringing all routes into public ownership and investing the profits back into the network will have long term benefits. I'm not sure what the reason her train was delayed was, but the point isn't wrong because she happened to be on a publically owned franchise.

Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I think you should be able to get from anywhere in the mainland UK to anywhere else in the mainland UK for £50. If we want to drive sustainability then higher train usage should be a priority, which requires more affordable fares. If it were up to me, the British railway would be the envy of the world and the profits generated would be reinvested in track sustainability to improve reliability and keep fares low so there's an actual motivation for people to get out of their cars and onto the train.

Couldn't agree more

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Only if the electorate fail in their duty to boot the buggers out at the next available opportunity.

We shall have a test to see how highly the electorate rate honour versus hubris, and indeed truth versus lies, in a couple of years.

The torybots are already mobilizing however so watch out. Even on NSC we have people claiming that Trump would have saved the word from evil Biden, and that labour is being run by a woman who doesn't even know who owns her train. And yes, the torybot foot soldiers are rushing forth to tell us all that it is these that are the important things right now. Brexit is done. Everything that Truss does is correct, and everything useless Starmer does is wrong. Cool narrative, no?

How many times can the UK electorate shoot themselves in the face? Surely not again... I mean FFS!!!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
How many times can the UK electorate shoot themselves in the face? Surely not again... I mean FFS!!!
Thee I reckon.

This appears to be a long game of turning the nation into a majority of idiots that feed on the shit fed to them. The biggest success the Tory party has had in their addiction to power and greed.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Pre lockdowns/pandemic our governments were pumping in £18.47b into our railways, fare income £11.6b, totalling £30b per annum.

Total dividends paid out were £262m, now down to £38m. Inconsequential to fare prices and investment.

But like you I’d like to see a single company running the lot, possibly state owned. It’s a fake marketplace, it’s silly that several rail operators send trains from London to Sussex, what is the benefit?

I'll admit to being nowhere near an expert on this and I'm sure there are a lot of issues which would prevent my dream becoming a reality. From those numbers, does it suggest that the railway is not particularly profitable? Are you in a position to expand on the finances involved and give an insight into what prevents unifying the network?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'll admit to being nowhere near an expert on this and I'm sure there are a lot of issues which would prevent my dream becoming a reality. From those numbers, does it suggest that the railway is not particularly profitable? Are you in a position to expand on the finances involved and give an insight into what prevents unifying the network?

There's a mine of information here.
https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/media/1889/rail-industry-finance-uk-statistical-release-2019-20.pdf#:~:text=Total%20rail%20industry%20income%20in%202019-20%20was%20%C2%A320.1bn%2C,from%20government%20funding%20and%20%C2%A32.0bn%20from%20other%20sources.

I'm just a layman.

Nationalisation I think would entail waiting for franchises to expire or paying market rate to buy them out.

Whilst Network Rail is a public sector not for profit organisation, so I assume there are no shareholders to buyout.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Ha ha ! Top Whataboutery !....it really can't compare to the building of 40 new hospitals and a new Nuclear power station every year !

Marvelous scenes !
Really? Blair wasn't known as Bliar for nothing. Not building hospitals may or may not mean lives lost. Other hospitals are available. But the Iraq war certainly cost lives and maimed people for life. A war based on a lie.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Let's hope such insight is running the country in the near future.

Who needs 'whataboutery' anyhow?

It already is.

Now, had this been a Tory making a similar gaff, would you have brought it here ?

As regards rail nationalisation. I see no proper argument unless the government is willing to invest heavily, unlike successive governments over recent times.

Folk don't realise that rail fares are still subsidised.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It already is.

Now, had this been a Tory making a similar gaff, would you have brought it here ?

As regards rail nationalisation. I see no proper argument unless the government is willing to invest heavily, unlike successive governments over recent times.

Folk don't realise that rail fares are still subsidised.

Threads where the high and mighty make a faux pas are plentiful, whatever the rosette I think balance demands that all are given air. Don't you?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Really? Blair wasn't known as Bliar for nothing. Not building hospitals may or may not mean lives lost. Other hospitals are available. But the Iraq war certainly cost lives and maimed people for life. A war based on a lie.

Bless, you hold tight to that lie, don't let it go, cherish it and keep it close... that way whenever our current shower sell you down the river, lie to you, about turn on their promises or just claim that black is white again, pull out that lie from 20 years back and remember that Blair was so so much worse.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Bless, you hold tight to that lie, don't let it go, cherish it and keep it close... that way whenever our current shower sell you down the river, lie to you, about turn on their promises or just claim that black is white again, pull out that lie from 20 years back and remember that Blair was so so much worse.

Indeed, Blair is a bloke for the common citizen.

Screenshot_20220922-185854~2.png

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is this all the they can come up with? A mistake by an MP that has no consequences. Her point is still rather valid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here