Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Youth

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Nothing new here, but I just wanted to remind myself as much as everyone else.

Have a look at this team:

Verbruggen; Lamptey, JP, Igor, Hinshelwood; Baleba, Gilmour; Buonanotte, Joao Pedro, Adingra; Ferguson.

Quite a feasible RDZ starting line-up, wouldn't you agree? (In the unlikely event that Lamptey was fit). Not far off the side that started against Brentford, in fact.

The average age of that team is 21. Twenty one!! 21!!! And that's with relatively geriatric Igor (25) at centre back. Rejig with Moder in the team somewhere instead (now that we've seen Baleba at sweeper) and it drops to 20.9.

Even assuming that one or two are sold, what an incredible future that represents for the club.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
It's insane.

These are some seriously talented footballers to be playing at this level at such a young age.

For me, it's not so much that this specific group of players bodes well for the future. After all, most if not all of them will probably end up going somewhere else for far higher wages given enough time.

For me, it's that our philosophy and business model has truly become a reality - we really are a conveyor belt of world class talent - and it feels inevitable that the club will surprise us with more wonderkids again and again.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Nothing new here, but I just wanted to remind myself as much as everyone else.

Have a look at this team:

Verbruggen; Lamptey, JP, Igor, Hinshelwood; Baleba, Gilmour; Buonanotte, Joao Pedro, Adingra; Ferguson.

Quite a feasible RDZ starting line-up, wouldn't you agree? (In the unlikely event that Lamptey was fit).
I know it's not really the point, but I'd be surprised if we put out a starting XI without any of Dunk, Gross, Lallana etc. to provide some experience on the field.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
You can also imagine a situation next season when you have the likes of Moran, Sarmiento, Sima, in the squad (and I've left out about 14 names I could have included) hammering on the manager's door for a place in the team

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I know it's not really the point, but I'd be surprised if we put out a starting XI without any of Dunk, Gross, Lallana etc. to provide some experience on the field.
The starting XI against Chelsea in the League Cup didn't have any of Dunk, Gross or Lallana. That team still dominated Chelsea possession wise and weren't disgraced at all. The average age of that XI was 22.6 years, with Dahoud being the old man of the team at 27. Igor and Fati were making only there second ever starts for us and it was the full debut for Baleba too.

The future is very bright.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The starting XI against Chelsea in the League Cup didn't have any of Dunk, Gross or Lallana. That team still dominated Chelsea possession wise and weren't disgraced at all. The average age of that XI was 22.6 years, with Dahoud being the old man of the team at 27. Igor and Fati were making only there second ever starts for us and it was the full debut for Baleba too.

The future is very bright.
I had, entirely arbitrarily, discounted the League Cup from my considerations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here