Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] 'You go as far as you have the courage to go*' - Onishi Ryoji, canyoneer.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Extreme canyoneering, in winter, in the unexplored Seti gorge, Annapurna range, Himalayas.

Serious geography, geology, mountaineering, canyoneering, no going back, no chance of rescue, world class drone footage, shamans, shitting yourself.

'*Well, I don't have that kind of courage, so you can feck off' - Eric the meek.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Extreme canyoneering, in winter, in the unexplored Seti gorge, Annapurna range, Himalayas.

Serious geography, geology, mountaineering, canyoneering, no going back, no chance of rescue, world class drone footage, shamans, shitting yourself.

'*Well, I don't have that kind of courage, so you can feck off' - Eric the meek.

Will give this a watch later.

I did canyoning in Slovenia in 2019. It was the fittest I've ever been (I ran Beachy Head marathon a month later), we had two instructors and a big group, it was summer and we were roped up. It was still terrifying. In particular being lowered down a 50m waterfall. Basically add acrophobia to being water boarded. Some extremely fun jumps, slides and abseils too though.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Which in my case is not more than five feet off the ground.

It hurts when you land.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Will give this a watch later.

I did canyoning in Slovenia in 2019. It was the fittest I've ever been (I ran Beachy Head marathon a month later), we had two instructors and a big group, it was summer and we were roped up. It was still terrifying. In particular being lowered down a 50m waterfall. Basically add acrophobia to being water boarded. Some extremely fun jumps, slides and abseils too though.
It's interesting you should say that. Some of the fittest guys I've come across have been climbers. I've never done anything serious, but after a trip to the Bernese Oberland one year, walking on well-worn mountain trails, I noticed that my fitness level was the best it had been since my footballing days, and perhaps ever. That was at age 50.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's interesting you should say that. Some of the fittest guys I've come across have been climbers. I've never done anything serious, but after a trip to the Bernese Oberland one year, walking on well-worn mountain trails, I noticed that my fitness level was the best it had been since my footballing days, and perhaps ever. That was at age 50.

I think it is the combination of different terrain and the different muscle groups you use to overcome them.
As well as cardio and the natural interval training the landscape provides.

I used to do a lot of rock climbing but never felt that alone kept me particularly fit.

I am on a mission to get in the best shape of my life and “rucking” and Fartlek training up on the Downs is an integral part of that. It gets you very fit.

Don’t think I have the cajones to go canyoning though. I’ll stick to the gentle rolling chalk downs.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
One of the best times of my life was independently trekking in Lantang and Annapurna back in the late 90s, with a couple of mates. Watching the sun come up and go down in that area: probably the most beautiful place on earth that I have been. But canyoning there? No thanks! edit - started to watch and looks v interesting, will watch later- thanks for the heads up:D

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here