Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you let your kid play for Palace?

Would you let your kid play for Palace?

• Total voters

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A good West Ham supporting friend of mine, who also runs a couple of teams in Sussex, has two excellent kids who both were snapped up by London based Academy's.

One eventually failed to make it, but the other ended up at Chelsea. He’s an England regular and, in fact, fact he played in the game against you guys in that pre season match and looks like he is going to make it as a professional footballer.

Do you think his dad gives a stuff he’s going to make it at Chelsea rather than his beloved West Ham?

Behave.

Harvey Vale?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It would be lovely if you had 5 or 6 clubs all chasing your kid. Even 1 other club. But if your kid was unattached, and Palace came along and were interested, I think it would be a very sad decision to prevent them having a shot at their dreams. Once the imediate reaction and funny jokes subside, the reality would kick in and you'd realise how silly it would be to deny your kid the opportunity.

If you stopped them going there, and they never got another trial with anyone else, how could you live with yourself knowing that you were responsible for snuffing out their chance at making the dream of becomng a pro footballer come true.

Surely it would be better to say Yes, and then keep an eye out for other opportunities.

Last edited:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
My daughter was brought up on the story of Ian Chapman not signing for Palace because he was a Brighton boy from Whitehawk and would have to look at himself in the mirror every day. The money didn't come into it for Ian - it was about not betraying your roots and community and feeling like a low-life as you pull on that hated shirt. I know my daughter would be the same. OK she's now a 26 year old teacher now, but had she shown an extraordinary football ability at a young age, what would I, as a parent, have done had Palace made an offer? Perhaps I'm lucky that never happened, and no parental guidance was needed! Therefore she and I can carry on hating Palace with clear consciences!

I think Ian Chapman is a very diffrent scenario entirely.

He could turn Palace down, safe in the knowledge he'd never wonder "what if" in terms of becoming a pro, because he'd already had a pro career. And he knew it was likely that he'd get an offer somewhere else, which is what happened.

That's very different, to a kid dreaming of becoming a professional footballer, and trying to get their first chance. Whether we like them or not, they are a professional club in the best division in the world, with a reputation for developing good young players. If your kid joined them, they might not ever play for the first team, but the training and development might lead to them forging a professional career somewhere else.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
My kids are probably 8/9 years away from any sort of situation and it may be that they can break into the academy of a league 1 club like Palace easier than a premier league side such as Brighton

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
My nephew is at an academy that has a link up with Palace. He had a trial with them which he wore his BHA kit to and got in. However at the same time he'd had a trial with Sussex cricket and also got in there. My sis and hubby told him he had to choose one or the other. He went to Sussex. Good lad!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Hell no!

I took my son to his first game at the Goldstone when he was about 5. He is BHAFC through and through and as he is such a good lad he would never embarrass his parents by wanting to play for palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here