Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] World Mental Health Day

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
One detail I've not seen anybody mention from the video; in the last game for the guy on the right, he gives his scarf to the other guy. When he tries to give it back he tells him to keep it. This is a not uncommon behavior from people who have decided to end it. Giving away treasured possessions.

If you notice somebody seeming to do this, ask if they are okay.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
So encouraging to see people having frank and honest conversations about their mental health.

Personally been going through some bits recently. Approaching my forties my life isn't where I thought it would be (not to say my life is bad, mind you, just unexpected), I'm eating badly and I'm not exercising.

I wouldn't call it a midlife "crisis" really, it's more of a midlife kerfuffle.

Basically I'm a bit sad and wondering what happened to the plans I had when I was 18.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I didn't realise the running had stopped completely? That's shite news – I know what I'm like if I haven't been out for a run for a few days – it really gets to me. But walking is a good substitute.
Unfortunately so. When my GP examined me and confirmed I was AFIBing, he said no strenuous exercise of any kind. I mentioned my run streak and he said I had to end it.

I happened to walk by him on a dog walk a few days later and he stopped me and said “take it easy!” - I’m not sure if he was suggesting even dog walks were too much, but I’ve carried on doing it - it’s better than nothing and gets me out.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Unfortunately so. When my GP examined me and confirmed I was AFIBing, he said no strenuous exercise of any kind. I mentioned my run streak and he said I had to end it.

I happened to walk by him on a dog walk a few days later and he stopped me and said “take it easy!” - I’m not sure if he was suggesting even dog walks were too much, but I’ve carried on doing it - it’s better than nothing and gets me out.
I was going to suggest cycling or swimming as an alternative to running, but in the light of the above, perhaps not. A big part of overcoming these things when they come our way, is to come to terms with them, which you seem to have done. My Dad used to have a phrase 'take it in your stride' which is exactly what you are doing, as you have taken up walking. I'm sure the dog appreciates the more leisurely walks as well.

Best of luck when you eventually see the cardiologist.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Seriously, fair play to you, you're a great Dad.

I'm always incredibly impressed and humbled when these type of threads come up and people open up about what they're going through. I've had my ups and downs with both myself and family issues, but they're nothing compared to what some of you go through.
Thank you for your kind words. They are much appreciated.

Tbh, when I wrote 'he has no idea of the sacrifice I made' (by missing the Liverpool game), I was kind of half joking. Missing the game was annoying, but there was only one decision to make really - to spend time with my son, and enable him to board from Bexhill to Hastings and back. There will be other football matches, and the grin on his face was priceless.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Mixed feelings on this. It’s sort of good that it’s got people talking and Norwich have gone a step further with the shirt sponsorship thing, which at least makes it feel more than a token gesture. Something is better than nothing etc etc.

On the flip side, seems like a distraction for people to basically be going “yeah, ask your mate if they’re ok” when the Tory mutilation of MH provision in this country makes that a more likely lifeline than accessing adequate professional support. Feels like the big society bollocks Cameron instantly initiated, putting the onus on individuals to provide support for each other in the absence of the state taking the necessary - vital - responsibility.

If you get to the point where you’re thinking of topping yourself, you’re sick and need as much help as someone with a broken leg does to walk. To continue the really terrible old comparison between physical and mental health, the bloke next to you at football showing concern is about as much use as them asking if your leg’s ok when you can’t walk on it - cause, symptoms, root and all that.

As much as a kind word from someone or a chat and signposting from the Samaritans might be really positive and pull you back from the brink, it’s pissing in the wind when local MH authorities are telling people they’ve got two trained professionals to deal with entire local areas. It shouldn’t get to this stage. And dealing with MH shit on a daily basis is boring enough for the people enduring it, let alone others. The reality is that it’s long-winded and not fun to talk about and the bloke next to you is not going to want to spend his afternoon off talking about shit you can’t get support for every other Saturday, understandably.

In an ideal world, Norwich - a multi-million quid business - would be calling for change and campaigning about years of chronic government underfunding for MH support. Very bah humbug from a PR perspective. But awareness and campaigning around the systemic crisis is what is needed

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Wasn’t sure where to post this, and haven’t posted actively on here for a while.

Am really struggling with my mental health, I am having therapy, but refuse to go onto medication due to past experiences.

Just wondering if there’s anyone out there who might be open to PM’ing me to share their experience of what worked for them as a feeling incredibly lonely atm.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Wasn’t sure where to post this, and haven’t posted actively on here for a while.

Am really struggling with my mental health, I am having therapy, but refuse to go onto medication due to past experiences.

Just wondering if there’s anyone out there who might be open to PM’ing me to share their experience of what worked for them as a feeling incredibly lonely atm.

This thread may help you.
Keep in touch (y)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here