Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] World gone Madras?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Used to get Gujarati take on dosas in Brighton at Manju’s down from the station. Two brothers out front and Mum in her 80’s in the kitchen. Haven’t reopened since Covid. Did a short pop up in the Lord Napier last month. Hoping they’ll find somewhere soon.

Looking at their website shows they have followed the cancel curry culture for sometime.

http://manjus.co.uk/

Wow!! Looks amazing ... and great story. Really hope they do open back up ... very soon :thumbsup:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I haven't clicked, but yes it's all a bit daft. However I do think the word 'curry' is extremely useful as a generic term, e.g. if someone says "Fancy a curry?" you know you're not going to get fish and chips. The word covers authentic dishes from all parts of the Indian sub-continent, plus of course other cultures (such as Thai) and our own popular Anglo-Indian 'takes' on authentic Indian food. (Chicken Tikka Masala was apparently invented in England because the Indian sub-continent immigrants realised the English liked the equivalent of curry, chips and gravy). And not everybody likes all types of curry.

Ultimately objecting to the word 'curry' is like objecting to the term 'beer' as that too takes no account of local varieties or different types of brews.

Yep, agreed. It is a useful word and it will continue to get used.

I am just not convinced that many people really want rid of it. And even if they do I think it will still get used.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here