Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Working from home

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I’ve only just discovered this thread and it resonates with me at the moment.

I’ve had to wfh for the last 3 years due to suffering an irreversible mobility issue which meant that I could no longer drive (and won’t be able to again). My main client at the time stayed with me and continued to send me work that I could do on the phone. (Insurance claims whereby I would schedule a call with a policyholder during which I’d talk them through taking photos/videos of the damage - amongst other aspects- ‘package’ it all up and send it electronically to the insurer so the claim could proceed). The work used to occupy most of the day but it’s been reducing for some time now and I’d like to take on new, additional work to keep me occupied (and earning).

My background includes working for Amex for 25 years in a variety of roles including customer service and risk management. I’m reasonably computer literate, have great numeracy and telephone skills and would like to develop these on a wfh basis.

Any ideas or opportunities from NSC’s great and good would be very much appreciated.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve only just discovered this thread and it resonates with me at the moment.

I’ve had to wfh for the last 3 years due to suffering an irreversible mobility issue which meant that I could no longer drive (and won’t be able to again). My main client at the time stayed with me and continued to send me work that I could do on the phone. (Insurance claims whereby I would schedule a call with a policyholder during which I’d talk them through taking photos/videos of the damage - amongst other aspects- ‘package’ it all up and send it electronically to the insurer so the claim could proceed). The work used to occupy most of the day but it’s been reducing for some time now and I’d like to take on new, additional work to keep me occupied (and earning).

My background includes working for Amex for 25 years in a variety of roles including customer service and risk management. I’m reasonably computer literate, have great numeracy and telephone skills and would like to develop these on a wfh basis.

Any ideas or opportunities from NSC’s great and good would be very much appreciated.
Have you registered (or at least had a chat) with any recruitment agencies ? The larger ones (firms like Hays for example) often have dedicated WFH sections on their vacancy websites. Easy to submit your CV to prompt a discussion.................

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do you have minimum hourly rate requirements and do you (still) find studying/passing exams pretty easy? I’m thinking of the AAT professional bookkeeping qualification. Once you have a few exams under your belt and an understanding, you can start taking on work from clients, whilst studying for the rest of the syllabus.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Do you have minimum hourly rate requirements and do you (still) find studying/passing exams pretty easy? I’m thinking of the AAT professional bookkeeping qualification. Once you have a few exams under your belt and an understanding, you can start taking on work from clients, whilst studying for the rest of the syllabus.
Again, thank you for your suggestion.
I’ve just turned 60 and the last exams I took were my ‘O’ levels in 1980 😂 (and there were only 3 of them although I did get a Grade 1 in CSE Maths, which was equivalent to an ‘O’ level).
I was hopeless at studying but I do like working with numbers -(my risk management background at Amex)- so I’ll definitely have a look at what you suggest as well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve just turned 60 and the last exams I took were my ‘O’ levels in 1980 😂 (and there were only 3 of them although I did get a Grade 1 in CSE Maths, which was equivalent to an ‘O’ level).
I was hopeless at studying but I do like working with numbers -(my risk management background at Amex)- so I’ll definitely have a look at what you suggest as well.

You did well to become one of Amex Brighton’s 100 vice presidents :bowdown: .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My hunch is that you'll enjoy the studying and be very good at it. Much of it is down to motivation which I suspect you didn't have in 1980* but will do now if there's a clear end in sight.
Whichever route you take, good luck.

*Your username intimates this was when you were in your teens

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
My hunch is that you'll enjoy the studying and be very good at it. Much of it is down to motivation which I suspect you didn't have in 1980* but will do now if there's a clear end in sight.
Whichever route you take, good luck.

*Your username intimates this was when you were in your teens
Thank you. Yep, studying from 1977 onwards was a write off! 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here