Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women feeling unsafe at football matches

What measures should we take to make women feel safer at football?

• Ban alcohol inside the stadium

• Ban alcohol within a 5 mile perimeter of the stadium on matchdays

• Womens only zones/stands

• Quota for ticket sales- max male percentage to be allowed to buy tickets

• Lifetime ban for any male who commits verbal sexist/mysoginistic abuse

• More female prominent pre-match music

• #hergametoo banners

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Well I've voted for 'More female prominent pre-match music' just in the hope that @crodonilson or anyone for that matter can tell me what 'female prominent' music is to be honest.
Are we saying......

This...

Could adjust the Adele song to a chant for a player we don't want to leave tbh! ;)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Or is it this?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
C'est le whole point, mon brave.
The issue being that some women have said they feel unsafe at football matches, some have experienced sexism, unwanted physical attention and sexist chanting. I honestly don’t understand why anyone would think that was funny or it can be cancelled out by turning the issue into a source of amusement- unless they felt that they have behaved that way themselves and it’s somehow ok.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If you see idiots behaving like idiots, then call them out, or let a steward know. I have felt unsafe at games, especially one game at Selhurst, when Barnsey equalised near the end of the game. I was sitting near the front because I can't stand for a whole game now, alongside another pensioner, and stupid fools came running forward, kicking and breaking seats, and piling on top of us. Fortunately @Biscuit saw me and came to help me.

Don't give me any old rubbish about grassing people up. Look after your own fans including the women.

Crodo, get another hobby, you are starting to sink lower and lower.
The main issue in this is 'what on earth were you doing at a Palace v Barnsley match?!'

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Add in this and ditch Adele and I think we've got our pre match play list!
:lolol:

Or is it this?

I was thinking this

or this

If all these songs aren't on the 'just before ko' pre-match play list on NYE I'm going to send a strongly worded email to PB about how I would've felt much safer if they had been played. One of those should be the tune the teams come out to! :lolol:

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Thread should be about anyone feeling unsafe, or it becomes just another victim campaign for women. Sexism is wrong, illegal but also prevalent from both sides of the gender divide.

Should football be anymore sanitised than it already is? Not in my view or it risks becoming as dull as many other sports.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m not in any net thanks - Crodo‘s motives for starting the thread are a little beyond me but irrelevant- the poll is ridiculous even as an attempt at humour and so I stated.

However - Crodo inadvertently raised an important issue - that if some women are feeling unsafe in a football match environment (for whatever reason) or have experienced verbal abuse, sex discrimination or misogynistic behaviour of any sort, it’s a conversation that needs to be had - and, given this is a forum predominantly for football fans, then here is as good a place as any to have a conversation about that.

Your own contributions to this thread clearly reflect the level of seriousness to which you treat the issue.

Edit - just to repeat the point of my first post

2. The only thing that needs to be done to make women safer (and/or feel safer) is for the majority … to call out the minority if they see women being verbally abused or physically threatened. Same way as the majority should also be calling out racist behaviour and homophobia.

…and I’ll add to that, online bulling and trolling
Great post. Crodo wanted a thread taking the piss out of the idea of women’s safety at football matches. A few neanderthal misogynists have jumped in to play their part while other posters have used this thread to criticize his sexist thread starting in general as well as broader issues of the treatment of women. Of course it is a trolling thread but it also probably hasn’t gone the way he wanted as he does seem to be from another era.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know plenty of women who go to football and they've never told me they feel unsafe.
There‘s obviously comfort in their restraining orders and pepper spray.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Yup, it does. The "1 in 4" usually quoted number is based on one flawed survey afaik. But regardless most murders and other severe attacks against women doesn't happen the way it is often portrayed in movies etc. Statistically speaking the unsafest place for a woman is to be home with her boyfriend/husband. Yet many fear to go out and do stuff or take a walk after dark, which is a result of blowing up the risks while failing to mention that 99.99% who takes a walk in a park or go to some event will come home unscathered.
I firmly believe that anyone who doesn't find the 1 in 4 statistic plausible may wish to consider why none of the women they know have ever felt comfortable enough to talk of such things.
I haven't always held that view so please no one take that as a jibe, but as a learning opportunity.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I firmly believe that anyone who doesn't find the 1 in 4 statistic plausible may wish to consider why none of the women they know have ever felt comfortable enough to talk of such things.
I haven't always held that view so please no one take that as a jibe, but as a learning opportunity.
Ok, you're wrong though because I don't find the 1 in 4 "statistic" (which is a figure based on a very flawed survey from the 80s) plausible and still have had multiple deeply personal conversations with women where such things and other issues have been revealed.

Sexual aggression of different kinds is definitely a big (global) issue but exaggerations of that kind just unnecessary levels of fear and distrust among people.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here