Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Women commentators - my biggest bugbear….

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Emma Hayes is good but she does have a tendency to talk too much. She is discussing tactical tweaks and genuine insight - but sadly often does it when there is an exciting attack happening and the play by play commentator is leery about jumping in...

"So Potter has got them pressing 10 yards higher this half, and Trossard has moved more centrally freeing up space for Veltman and Cucurella to..."

"Just wide!!"

If she picked her moments and talked a little less she'd be my favourite.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The best bit was when the commentary got cut off and the only sound was that of the crowd. We need a button that does that.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have no issues with the gender of commentators or pundits.
I do have an issue with Ian Wright saying WE about Arsenal on MOTD.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I find it all unnecessary when we celebrate women or black people etc as being specially singled out in their own category. Everyone should be treated the same and equally . We don’t need for example MOBI awards , we just need music awards for everyone .

I get your sentiment, but I don't see any issue with having Kerrang awards, The Brits, Folk Music awards, etc. etc. The range of music out there is so vast that you have to break it down by the type of music the people dig.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's weird how football fans seem to do themselves such an aneurism about women doing pundit or commentating jobs, whereas in cricket the likes of Alison Mitchell, Isa Guha and Ebony Rainford-Brent have been doing it for years and it seems to be basically unworthy of comment other than the odd social media troll (although sadly in the case of the latter two it's less about them being women as about their race)

Maybe - just maybe - because these women are articulate broadcasters? You'll find many other examples in tennis, golf etc - basically, any sport the BBC deems middle class.

Meanwhile, football fans get the likes of Karen "What does ominous mean?" C*rney (and some terrible males too, in fairness).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
During the Palace match after Ayew missed his sitter Carney said .... "I hope Palace don't live to regret that"

"I hope" being quite a revealing way of saying it

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My biggest bugbear about women commentators isn’t the fact that as a collective group I believe them to be privileged, annoying or crap (as so often banded about by both fans and pundits).

My biggest bugbear is the fact fans have to KEEP GENDERING commentators or pundits AT ALL.

Karen Carney was frankly dismal on Monday night on Sky for the Albion v Palace ding-dong. Alex Scott, Emma Hayes etc have been rightly lauded as being bloody fantastic on various channels.

None of these examples should have anything to do with the fact they are women. They are commentators or pundits.

Steve Claridge and Tim Sherwood are bungling, boorish and frankly deluded pundits. Do we need to also mention they are both blokes? Of course not…

It’s now almost become statutory to elucidate any assessment around women punditry with the following disclaimer.

‘I’m all for women commentators BUT she’s terrible’ OR ‘For a woman, she is really insightful’. Ad nauseam.

Sorry probably drank too much red last night but felt the need to share…

True, but female commentators (and officials) are still new enough to be a bit of a novelty. Give it time; soon remarking on the gender of a commentator or official will be the mark of a village idiot, - a bit like pointing at an aeroplane.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
My biggest bugbear about women commentators isn’t the fact that as a collective group I believe them to be privileged, annoying or crap (as so often banded about by both fans and pundits).

My biggest bugbear is the fact fans have to KEEP GENDERING commentators or pundits AT ALL.

Karen Carney was frankly dismal on Monday night on Sky for the Albion v Palace ding-dong. Alex Scott, Emma Hayes etc have been rightly lauded as being bloody fantastic on various channels.

None of these examples should have anything to do with the fact they are women. They are commentators or pundits.

Steve Claridge and Tim Sherwood are bungling, boorish and frankly deluded pundits. Do we need to also mention they are both blokes? Of course not…

It’s now almost become statutory to elucidate any assessment around women punditry with the following disclaimer.

‘I’m all for women commentators BUT she’s terrible’ OR ‘For a woman, she is really insightful’. Ad nauseam.

Sorry probably drank too much red last night but felt the need to share…

The screechy one on MOTD is unbearable - I have to turn the telly down for her. All of the women mentioned are pundits rather than commentators though, haven't seen any difference between pundits - they all seem to follow the agenda they are directed toward. But that commentator on MOTD makes my ears bleed. Horrible noise.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I have to say full marks to Sky for their championing of female talent. The likes of Leanne Sanderson have made excellent careers for themselves and offer real insight into both the mens and womens games at the top level and the big clubs (Sanderson is a self proclaimed Man U nut).

It was also telling that Sky have now elevated the Womens Super League above all other leagues other than the EPL. On Saturday there was a top of the table clash between Coventry and Fulham but the game on Main Event was the big WSL clash between Chelsea and Brighton. SSN also offer match updates on all WSL games for the fans of these clubs to keep abreast of.

:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here