Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wolves

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
A few people have them down as outsiders to get relegated next season. Personally can't see it however I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped to the bottom half of the table. Teams have been figuring their system out recently, they have played a lot of games and it's not long until the season starts. The midfield were completely dominated by Seville the other night and they don't have the strength in depth some of the teams around them do hence why they have all played so many minutes.

They don't seem to have the most sustainable system and other clubs will undoubtedly be interested in their top players and possibly their manager. Most of their players have completely bottled an FA Cup semi final and worked so hard to get to a Europa League quarter final only to be knocked out by a side that didn't really get out of second gear and players heads could drop.

I like wolves but I think they won't be the same animal next season but also can't see them being in a relegation battle although Leeds went from champions league to relegated in only a few seasons and it wasn't too long ago Swansea were in Europe.

Also, not many people would have looked at the Bournemouth and Watford squads and tipped them for the drop, so perhaps it's not that crazy.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I haven't seen anyone suggest them as an outsider for relegation?!

Excellent manager, too many good players and a fluid system that's worked brilliantly for three years or so. The only reason they'd be in trouble is if Nuno and a load of the players left.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Talksport yesterday, few on facebook/twitter and one of my friends says he's gonna put a bet on because of the odds. I don't think they'll be anywhere near the dropzone but really can't see them finishing as high as 7th again.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Top 10 all day long at worst, they have had a bloody long season and I think are just shattered.

On top of that they will bring players in.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
They would struggle without Jimenez and Traore, both of whom are rumoured to be of interest to other clubs.

But the £100m+ they would receive would allay any chance of relegation.

Last edited:

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
In 2001 Leeds united finished 5th the previous few seasons they finished top 4. Only two years later 19th. Leicester City went from relegation battle to winning the league in the space of one season. Crazier things have happened. I think they'll finish between 9th and 12th however wouldn't be overly surprised if they lost a few players and got dragged into it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Very good side. Nowhere near drop zone.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
This would be the same Wolves who are owned by Fosun and said to be the 4th richest Premier League club and also have the Super Agent Jorges Mendes pulling the strings re their players ..??

OK.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Plenty of quality in the squad, a very good manager and a pretty incredible recruitment setup closely linked to a top agent

Nah they will be fine

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I thought a few days ago they might struggle for the fairly obvious reason that their season has gone on for over a year and about 3000 matches and their squad is tiny. By struggle I mean not challenge for a top four spot and finish a few spots lower than they have the last couple of years. Really can't see them in a relegation fight though, they're way too good.

Now they're not going to be playing in Europe next year if they add a couple more players then they might be good to go again and have another strong shot at top four.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
They would struggle without Jimenez and Traore, both of whom are rumoured to be of interest to other clubs.

But the £100m+ they would receive would allay any chance of relegation.

I can see Traore being a big flop for whoever he goes to. What's happened for Traore at Wolves is an example of a club and a player being perfect for each other.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
That potentially brings in it's own problems though with financial fair play. All it takes is one of the wheels to fall off and the whole thing could crash. I would be a little cautious having somebody like Jorges Mendes basically running the club if him and the owners ever have a major disagreement that whole ship could sink.When it comes to the football admitting it's unlikely but it's not unreasonable to think that they could struggle next season and not do as well as they have done the past two seasons. It is also not unreasonable to think they could do even better next season.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
They are quality but their system absolutely revolves around Raul Jimenez up front. In many ways they play a similar style to many mid-lower take teams but Jimenez makes it all work, a brilliant player.

If he does go to Man U as I've seen in rumours, it's a huge huge hole to fill

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't see them being anywhere near relegation. Very solid side, with talented players and enough money to buy more.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Talksport yesterday, few on facebook/twitter and one of my friends says he's gonna put a bet on because of the odds. I don't think they'll be anywhere near the dropzone but really can't see them finishing as high as 7th again.

I think the chap on Talksport said that he can see their manager going, and a number of their key players and therefore they should be considered relegation candidates.

I listened and thought 'no shit mate'. Any* team that lost their manager and key players just before a new season is going to be struggling to maintain their previous form.

*Except Leeds. Bielsa has set the up so well, top to bottom, that he doesn't even need to be there anymore, his influence ripples through time

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Excellent team spirit, positive manager and good to watch. Hope they stay together and do well - apart from against us obviously. They also have one of the two best centre backs/leaders In the PL - Coady and Dunk would be my choice for England

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here