Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will the season be halted?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Whitty asked: Why is football allowed?
Asked about why professional football is allowed to continue, Prof Whitty says it is a balancing act between "trying to limit the amount of contact while outside of structured environments, whilst trying to keep some semblance of life as we know it".

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The scenes outside Marine's ground yesterday were just ridiculous given the status of Covid right now. The problem with football at the moment isn't simply managing the protocols around training and BCD matches, but the behaviour it generates in the wider population - be that like at Marine, or households mixing to watch SKY or BT.

Football didn't do itself any favours this weekend (be that people crowding streets to gawp at a team bus, players celebrating in dressing rooms or the BBC sending radio AND tv production teams, commentators and pundits all over the country to cover games when travel is supposed to be for 'essential' purposes only). Bye bye football.

View attachment 132354

The scenes in the Chorley dressing room sent completely the wrong signal

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Asked about why professional football is allowed to continue, Prof Whitty says it is a balancing act between "trying to limit the amount of contact while outside of structured environments, whilst trying to keep some semblance of life as we know it".

In other words

"I recommended that it be stopped, but Boris didn't want to cancel xmas, and he certainly doesn't want to cancel football"

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The scenes in the Chorley dressing room sent completely the wrong signal

BBC 5 Live had to tread a very treacherous tightrope this weekend as they juggled their blanket FA cup coverage with rolling news as the NHS teeters on the brink. One minute they had excerpts of Government health officials begging people to stay home and only undertake essential travel as Covid reaches crisis proportions; the next they crossed to Pat Nevin talking about his journey to Chorley to act as co-commentator to Ian Dennis who was happily chatting about how cold it was when he left his home in the North East that morning.

Just one example but their were plenty of others as the BBC pulled out all the stops to scatter correspondents far and wide to capture the magic of youth sides playing non-league teams.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The season will be halted, and I think an announcement today, three weeks

Scottish Football below the Championship has been suspended for 3 weeks. The Championship to continue providing clubs are tested, The Scottish Premiership has been doing regular testing all season. I can see there possibly being a similar pause here below our second flight too as testing is expensive. I'm sure it's been reported that the PFA would be paying for testing below the PL though.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Why the hell do we need to try to keep up a pretence of "life as we know it"? The situation in hospitals is dire, but the vaccine is coming to the rescue. Why can't we just accept that life is not in any way normal for the next month or two?

Everything I heard on the radio this morning was about not even going out of your house unless it's absolutely essential. The longer you try to carry on a few things "to make life seem normal", the more you undermine the message about staying at home.

No wonder the death rate in this country is so high....

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Why the hell do we need to try to keep up a pretence of "life as we know it"? The situation in hospitals is dire, but the vaccine is coming to the rescue. Why can't we just accept that life is not in any way normal for the next month or two?

Everything I heard on the radio this morning was about not even going out of your house unless it's absolutely essential. The longer you try to carry on a few things "to make life seem normal", the more you undermine the message about staying at home.

I only copied and pasted that extract...I have no real thoughts either way.But what I do know is that live sport is very important to me personally but if it was deemed to dangerous to carry on it was halted so be it. (FWIW, yea stop the football but I am sooo waiting for the test match to start)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I hope the season is put on hold as much as it is needed to halt Covid infections. Just so I can get a good nights sleep after watching our games on TV. Its doing my head in!!!

Ha, yeh, I was too wound up to sleep as well.

I'd be up for games starting at 10am, to give me time to wind down after, they are so frustrating this season

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

You're right, from a pure life saving point of view.

I have no doubt that football, mostly in a very indirect sort of way, is leading to extra pressure on NHS and deaths.

But i'm a selfish person. Last time we were this locked down there was glorious sunshine and could enjoy evening bbq's in the back garden.

This time, there really is nothing to focus on apart from the football and the appalling news. I'm really enjoying having the football and having some way of blocking out the stress and misery of what is going on in the real world.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Just one example but their were plenty of others as the BBC pulled out all the stops to scatter correspondents far and wide to capture the magic of youth sides playing non-league teams.

BT Sport too. Not just the BBC.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
BT Sport too. Not just the BBC.

I'm sure both organisations would have done it under strict protocols.

I don't think that's the problem

Informal gatherings, like at Marine and the Liverpool title party are a huge problem.

Footballers still going off to Dubai, Eze still going to QPR games. Football isn't taking this anywhere near seriously enough and the people involved in the game, don't know how lucky they are to still be out there. They could very well soon realise they shouldn't have been taking it for granted.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'm sure both organisations would have done it under strict protocols.

I don't think that's the problem

Informal gatherings, like at Marine and the Liverpool title party are a huge problem.

Footballers still going off to Dubai, Eze still going to QPR games. Football isn't taking this anywhere near seriously enough and the people involved in the game, don't know how lucky they are to still be out there. They could very well soon realise they shouldn't have been taking it for granted.

I agree, I was just trying point out that BBC weren't the only people covering the matches yesterday.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You're right, from a pure life saving point of view.

I have no doubt that football, mostly in a very indirect sort of way, is leading to extra pressure on NHS and deaths.

But i'm a selfish person. Last time we were this locked down there was glorious sunshine and could enjoy evening bbq's in the back garden.

This time, there really is nothing to focus on apart from the football and the appalling news. I'm really enjoying having the football and having some way of blocking out the stress and misery of what is going on in the real world.

But if football adds to the stress and misery of the real world ie ICU units then we have a bit of a moral dilemma. Surely the whole point here is to alleviate the burden placed on NHS staff and victims of the virus. Our own needs are much less important.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here