Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why Zamora Coming Back Was More Than Just Football

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Eight years ago today, Bobby Zamora re-signed for the Albion. What a day to be alive.

@luge wrote an excellent article about what it meant. It's been lost in platform migration jiggery pokery, but I've just managed to find a copy of it...

Perhaps we are a bunch of sentimental old fools. After all, history generally suggests that the old adage of “never go back” generally registers as a truth. But there is more than just remembering the good times and ignoring the reality in the case of Bobby Zamora.​
Indeed, there is more than just football.​
Bobby is an iconographical figure in Brighton folklore. He was the first player that brought real hope after almost a decade of protests, riots, groundshares and, quite frankly, awful football. Spearheading Micky Adams’ confident side, his goals and general all round attitude helped usher in one of the greatest love in’s in the club’s history. Back in Brighton, Skint and scoring.​
We all knew he wasn’t long for us. His star was always due to shine in the Premier League (to an extent). His side were formed of the promised few; those who were tempted to the club with the carrot of a new stadium and a platform to shine. A stage that turned out not to be set for 11 years. And so Bobby, 83 goals inked into our memories, left. He would never grace the new stadium in Brighton shirt, because we never even knew if we were ever to have one. He was the first, others were to follow - all rightfully trying to find their way to their zenith. But none really matched the success of Bob (Leon Knight, anybody?). Did we mind? Not really, when you love* someone, you want them to do what’s best for themselves.​
The arrival of Tony Bloom changed the club dramatically. The empty promises were to become reality, and whilst we were and still are subject to our best players being tempted by a bigger pay cheque or a bigger league, at least we had a fighting chance of keeping our best for a bit longer. Hell, we can even attract Champions League standard players to ply their trade here.​
But for those who lived through the dark days, and those who lived through Micky’s revolution, there was always the hope that at least some of those players could run out at the new stadium, leading tens of thousands of Albion fans in a chorus. Especially Zamora.​
As the years passed, that hope turned more and more into a pipe dream. The stadium, when it came was fabulous, but it came in 2011, not in 2005. We were just happy to have a proper home. To have a competitive team with a bit of flair was a huge cherry on the top. New players, living out our fantasises.​
And then when Gus went, it started to fall apart. Whilst Oscar took the Albion to a play off spot the next season, the wheels were already falling off. Star players, Gus’ players, wanted out. Money concerns meant that some of their replacements were less than adequate, and the remaining good players got injured or, as is what happens in any workplace or group of people, fell into a collective negative mentality.​
But all the while he was still playing, the Zamora return to Brighton pipe dream continued to burn on North Stand Chat, and then Twitter and Facebook as they developed. With each passing transfer window, it would become the norm to while away the midnight hours talking about 'Our Bob’ holding up a striped shirt, smiling away - etching our fantasies into a professional photograph and a press release. Even those who had never seen him play for the Seagulls would get excited because they were told He was the celebrated one, He was the one that gave us hope, He helped transform the club.​
Last night that dream became a reality, and the majority of Sussex lost their shit. The return of Bobby made the national papers and trended on Twitter. The Club’s slightly questionable Vine video had it’s desired effect, making a worldwide impact, NBC ran an article about all of us losing our shit and the reaction to the 6 seconds of Bobby The Terminator. It was patronising. Even those annoying social media graduates working at the betting companies were casting their aspersions as fact on the situation - a sign that the story is popular indeed.​
attachment.php
Critics and cynics will highlight his age, and the fact that despite a just over 1 in 4 goal average through his career, around half of those came in his formative 3 years in an Albion shirt, in the lower divisions. They’ll note his own words that he hasn’t had a pre-season and has already put out the classic caveat of needing to get a few minutes under his belt.​
They would be correct to do so. Deep down we all know that he’s not going to live up to the Bobby Zamora of the early 2000’s. But as his performances for QPR over the last few years have shown, he’s still a very good quality top division player, is a positive influence on the dressing room and chips in with crucial (and sometimes spectacular) goals.​
And even if his impact is more minimal than that, as is perfectly likely, it doesn’t matter. Because late last night, the phones and inboxes of thousands of Brighton fans lit up and vibrated with the news of his return. For many, it was the realisation of a dream they had thought never would have actually happened. Brighton have a home of their own, and Bobby gets to play in it, as an Albion player.​
It is more than just football.​
* I don’t actually love Bobby Zamora. Although I did once serve him and Michel Kuipers lunch at the players canteen at the Uni once. I guess that’s close enough.
I remember and was thinking about this only this morning! You posted something along the lines of ‘whatever you do, don’t go to bed yet’ and then BOOM he was back ❤️

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was so gutted when we failed to win promotion in that season, not just for all the obvious reasons, but mostly because it meant it wouldn't be Bobby leading us to the promised land. When he re-signed, I felt like this was it, this HAD to be our year. It was, surely, written in the stars.

Then we lost in the play-offs again. It was a sobering lesson that reality doesn't work like that. But I like to think there's another timeline where Zamora took us up.
I have a different take on it. I think bringing Bobby back was part of getting the club ready for the Premier League whilst binding players closer to the club. Personally, I think Bobby being at the club helped get old teammate Sidwell back on loan in January, and we only lost one match that season after he returned and then he signed permanently. It may have also been a factor in Knockaert signing that month too.

We could have kept Bobby on for the 16/17 season and he could have been understudy to Hemed and Murray and got promoted with us, but I think his work was already done. Baldock and Knockaert learned from the master and kicked on in that promotion season.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Loved Bobby and loved watching him play. It was like... we had something to be optimistic about (and not just the goals).

And that song!

I remember going to some cricket match with the teams captained by Mickey and Chris Adams. Bobby wasn't playing, just turned up to walk round and chat to the fans. He was the club's 'star', but was always so humble and approachable. Lovely guy.

Then seeing him come back here too, it was like another lift, it just felt like everything was going to be ok. Was it really just 8 years ago?

Would love to see him involved with the club in some way again one day. Proper albion legend.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I was quite deep into a night at the Battle when the announcement popped up on Twitter.

Had to excuse myself and go and have a little cry outside I was so suddenly overcome with emotion about BZ.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
one of my top 10 Amex goals is the one where we break from a corner at the north end and Bobby is there to slot the ball home at the south end after running the whole length of the pitch.
I clocked him straight away, and channeled my inner Hove Dogs'.

"Go on Bobby"
"Keep going Bobby".
"You can do it"
"Nearly there"
"Yesssssssss" (I had plenty of time)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Felt like a big moment. And he was great wasn't he? When we look back at things in 30/40/50 years I don't think his impact will ever be forgotten both in the early 2000s and then his return.
I was 19 in 2000. Id only really known turmoil and disappointment. I remember when he joined on loan and he scored about 6 goals in as many games. The next two seasons he seemed to score every week. I went to most games and it was just inevitable.
We were on here then weren't we, but the internet was stil a quiet place so most football noise was generated by Soccer Saturday, the papers etc. And people started to take notice. Obviously it coincided with success, but he raised the profile of the club. We had a superstar. Obviously there was Adams and Cullip, Withdean and Norman Cook and all that stuff, but looking back he just feels so important to it all. Certainly to me. Feels weird as he is a month younger than me, but he's an absolute hero.

I'm of a similar age, though a little younger than Bobby, and feel the same. For our generation Zamora will always be the one.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I was properly emotional when he returned, couldn't sleep that night! It's proper love with Bobby!

I remember his first goal of his comeback away to Leeds so well. We did the tour of the stadium for my Dad's 60th birthday that morning and then went for food and a few drinks in town after. My other half was driving us home when he scored and she nearly crashed the car bless her as I lost my shit when it in!

Will always, always love Bobby! For fans of my generation who had just generally experienced shit, he was such a shining star. I liked John Byrne, Kurt Nogan etc a lot but Bobby was my first REAL Albion hero and for that reason will always be my favourite Albion player. My mates who don't support Albion have never understood why I love him so much!

Got one of those online messages from him for my 40th and I must watch it once a month! It was a great video and he told me he loves me! Or, 'loves ya' more accurately!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
one of my top 10 Amex goals is the one where we break from a corner at the north end and Bobby is there to slot the ball home at the south end after running the whole length of the pitch.
He did that twice the other was a Withdean where he cleared the corner with a header out he then run the entire length of the pitch to collect the pass and score

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Bobby made the clearance from the corner too. It was his last goal in the stripes.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Eight years ago today, Bobby Zamora re-signed for the Albion. What a day to be alive.

@luge wrote an excellent article about what it meant. It's been lost in platform migration jiggery pokery, but I've just managed to find a copy of it...

Perhaps we are a bunch of sentimental old fools. After all, history generally suggests that the old adage of “never go back” generally registers as a truth. But there is more than just remembering the good times and ignoring the reality in the case of Bobby Zamora.​
Indeed, there is more than just football.​
Bobby is an iconographical figure in Brighton folklore. He was the first player that brought real hope after almost a decade of protests, riots, groundshares and, quite frankly, awful football. Spearheading Micky Adams’ confident side, his goals and general all round attitude helped usher in one of the greatest love in’s in the club’s history. Back in Brighton, Skint and scoring.​
We all knew he wasn’t long for us. His star was always due to shine in the Premier League (to an extent). His side were formed of the promised few; those who were tempted to the club with the carrot of a new stadium and a platform to shine. A stage that turned out not to be set for 11 years. And so Bobby, 83 goals inked into our memories, left. He would never grace the new stadium in Brighton shirt, because we never even knew if we were ever to have one. He was the first, others were to follow - all rightfully trying to find their way to their zenith. But none really matched the success of Bob (Leon Knight, anybody?). Did we mind? Not really, when you love* someone, you want them to do what’s best for themselves.​
The arrival of Tony Bloom changed the club dramatically. The empty promises were to become reality, and whilst we were and still are subject to our best players being tempted by a bigger pay cheque or a bigger league, at least we had a fighting chance of keeping our best for a bit longer. Hell, we can even attract Champions League standard players to ply their trade here.​
But for those who lived through the dark days, and those who lived through Micky’s revolution, there was always the hope that at least some of those players could run out at the new stadium, leading tens of thousands of Albion fans in a chorus. Especially Zamora.​
As the years passed, that hope turned more and more into a pipe dream. The stadium, when it came was fabulous, but it came in 2011, not in 2005. We were just happy to have a proper home. To have a competitive team with a bit of flair was a huge cherry on the top. New players, living out our fantasises.​
And then when Gus went, it started to fall apart. Whilst Oscar took the Albion to a play off spot the next season, the wheels were already falling off. Star players, Gus’ players, wanted out. Money concerns meant that some of their replacements were less than adequate, and the remaining good players got injured or, as is what happens in any workplace or group of people, fell into a collective negative mentality.​
But all the while he was still playing, the Zamora return to Brighton pipe dream continued to burn on North Stand Chat, and then Twitter and Facebook as they developed. With each passing transfer window, it would become the norm to while away the midnight hours talking about 'Our Bob’ holding up a striped shirt, smiling away - etching our fantasies into a professional photograph and a press release. Even those who had never seen him play for the Seagulls would get excited because they were told He was the celebrated one, He was the one that gave us hope, He helped transform the club.​
Last night that dream became a reality, and the majority of Sussex lost their shit. The return of Bobby made the national papers and trended on Twitter. The Club’s slightly questionable Vine video had it’s desired effect, making a worldwide impact, NBC ran an article about all of us losing our shit and the reaction to the 6 seconds of Bobby The Terminator. It was patronising. Even those annoying social media graduates working at the betting companies were casting their aspersions as fact on the situation - a sign that the story is popular indeed.​
attachment.php
Critics and cynics will highlight his age, and the fact that despite a just over 1 in 4 goal average through his career, around half of those came in his formative 3 years in an Albion shirt, in the lower divisions. They’ll note his own words that he hasn’t had a pre-season and has already put out the classic caveat of needing to get a few minutes under his belt.​
They would be correct to do so. Deep down we all know that he’s not going to live up to the Bobby Zamora of the early 2000’s. But as his performances for QPR over the last few years have shown, he’s still a very good quality top division player, is a positive influence on the dressing room and chips in with crucial (and sometimes spectacular) goals.​
And even if his impact is more minimal than that, as is perfectly likely, it doesn’t matter. Because late last night, the phones and inboxes of thousands of Brighton fans lit up and vibrated with the news of his return. For many, it was the realisation of a dream they had thought never would have actually happened. Brighton have a home of their own, and Bobby gets to play in it, as an Albion player.​
It is more than just football.​
* I don’t actually love Bobby Zamora. Although I did once serve him and Michel Kuipers lunch at the players canteen at the Uni once. I guess that’s close enough.
Blimey forgot about this.
One day I will get a dog and call it Zamora. Doggy Zamora.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
What a season he had that year as well, although I think that Huddersfield goal (i think) where he pelted it up the entire pitch killed his year off.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

The song doesn't sound right though....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here