Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why wasn't Maupay subbed?

Yoda

English & European
I agree with the op, in why wasn't he subbed? Not because he was shite as his opinion. Far from it, I thought some of his link up play was good, as well as his runs and closing down at the right times. But because he looked totally spent around the 70-75 minute mark, about the time our intensity started to drop. Coincidence? Who knows. Wouldn't have brought Ali J on for him either.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I agree with the op, in why wasn't he subbed? Not because he was shite as his opinion. Far from it, I thought some of his link up play was good, as well as his runs and closing down at the right times. But because he looked totally spent around the 70-75 minute mark, about the time our intensity started to drop. Coincidence? Who knows. Wouldn't have brought Ali J on for him either.

Our intensity waned after their player took an eternity to pull his sock when pretending to be injured. Meanwhile his mates were all geeing each other up and reorganising themselves. Pure tactics

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Because the fan base would have had a meltdown and blamed the manager if we took off our only central attacking threat. Even if he was playing like crap?

I doubt it’s the reason but worth a pause for thought. More to do with when we loose, people will find SOMETHING to moan about even if everything was perfect. (It wasn’t and Maupay WAS crap).

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I imagine Potter is hoping Maupay will play himself back into form and add another 6 or 7 goals this season. The trouble is...we are running out of games. May as well give Zequiri a run of games and see how he does - perhaps that is coming, remember it took a while for Potter to lose faith/patience with Ryan and then suddenly he was out.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
May come back to bite me, (I hope it does), but hey-ho!

Maupay is a distinctly ordinary player at this level. He has literally no presence in the box, no awareness and no plan when he receives the ball. His movement which should be his strength is limited, rarely plays off a defender.

He is better outside the box but even then just stands admiring the others instead of chasing....

When he beat a defender and shot at the goalie with six players in the box..... Aarrgghh!

I await the flaming and the ‘stats show’, well feck the stats, he may have scored seven, but his limited ability means he could have scored double that in this team.

I am grumpy this morning, but the rest of the team are generally excellent.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Absolutely awful all game. Other strikers on the bench. Zequiri has looked decent whenever he's played. Inexplicable.

If Zequiri is the answer then we are in serious trouble.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Didnt mind Maupay staying on but AJ being subbed in seemed pointless. Not all what we needed at the point. No substitution would have been better.

I gave up hope of us scoring when AJ was brought on. Just seemed a desperate decision rather than tactical. Didn't expect them to go and score again though, although in hindsight and knowing us this season I'm not sure why not!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Take Maupay off and put who on exactly we don’t have a natural goal scorer anywhere in this squad.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Take Maupay off and put who on exactly we don’t have a natural goal scorer anywhere in this squad.

If Maupay isn’t a natural goal scorer how do you explain his championship record and only scoring 2 less than Murray best ever PL season ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Because the fan base would have had a meltdown and blamed the manager if we took off our only central attacking threat. Even if he was playing like crap?

I doubt it’s the reason but worth a pause for thought. More to do with when we loose, people will find SOMETHING to moan about even if everything was perfect. (It wasn’t and Maupay WAS crap).

Our only central attacking threat who has been off his game for weeks and weeks. I was calling for him to be subbed at HT but the manager knows best and he stays on for the whole game, as if he is expecting him to suddenly lift his performance. He got progressively worse again, as he has done in a number of games recently., He is picked to score goals and provide assists.
1) Goals per match................0.28 ( roughly 10 per season )...( 17 in 60 appearances )
2) Shots.................................149
3) Shots on target....................58
4) Shooting accuracy...............39% ( Team average 41%....worst in PL )
5) Big chances missed.............18
6) Assists...................................4 ( In 60 games )

Considering how bad the rest of the team are in getting shots on target, he is actually below average!!!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If Maupay isn’t a natural goal scorer how do you explain his championship record and only scoring 2 less than Murray best ever PL season ?

This team creates far more chances than the one Murray was part of and he was far more clinical that Maupay. He is wasteful in a league where you cannot afford to be the championship is much more forgiving and there are lots of examples of players scoring in the championship but struggling with the step up.

That said Maupay would not be so much the focus of other players chipped in with goals as well but none of our other attacking players can find the net either.

The XG table says it all we are just not clinical as a side the complete opposite in fact we are incredibly wasteful in front of goal Maupay is just one of many on our books who seem to struggle with the type of chances others in this league bury for fun.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This team creates far more chances than the one Murray was part of and he was far more clinical that Maupay. He is wasteful in a league where you cannot afford to be the championship is much more forgiving and there are lots of examples of players scoring in the championship but struggling with the step up.

That said Maupay would not be so much the focus of other players chipped in with goals as well but none of our other attacking players can find the net either.

The XG table says it all we are just not clinical as a side the complete opposite in fact we are incredibly wasteful in front of goal Maupay is just one of many on our books who seem to struggle with the type of chances others in this league bury for fun.

I still disagree - Maupay doesn’t sit to bad in the scorers table this season. While he could easily be higher up - the PL is really difficult for strikers. Look at Timo Warner’s comments this week at how he is finding it.

There is no easy solution to finding a PL proven striker and even the ones you expect to - can cost £100M and still flop.

I do agree the rest of the team are culpable. We have big defenders that rarely score from set pieces, decent attacking midfielders that dont score enough. Bissouma can score with a decent shot but has 1 goal per season average and the rest fly into the stands...

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I imagine Potter is hoping Maupay will play himself back into form and add another 6 or 7 goals this season. The trouble is...we are running out of games. May as well give Zequiri a run of games and see how he does - perhaps that is coming, remember it took a while for Potter to lose faith/patience with Ryan and then suddenly he was out.

Like lying in the bath and having a ' eureka ' moment....." Hang on, I know what we need....A big keeper who dominates his area, comes off his line and gives the back four confidence ".....or....." Hang on, why don't I play BDB at LB "....he gives us aerial power ( in theory ) and only needs half the strides to get up and down the wing. Sure he has the turning speed of an oil tanker but other players can cover that. I'll do it. I'll play him there. I don't like Bernardo. That's it "
.......or....." Hang on, if I fill the side with lightweight, mobile, touch players, we can play like Man City. We will look incredibly attractive, get the ball smoothly upfield and the fans will rave about the football, after boring old Chris and I will be the new deep thinking, tactical genius, like Sven. The board will be convinced and I will get a contract extension. They will have bought into the project, I won't get sacked, even if we are relegated and I like the area "

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Didn't intend for this thread to be a pile on for Maupay. I like him, but although his 'link-up play' may have been ok, there was absolutely no way he was going to score last night. What justification can there be for not bringing on Zeqiri or Connolly, or even Tau?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here