Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Why is Harveys so inconsistent??

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
The inconsistency of real ale normally comes from poor cellar management. If the cask isn't vented properly or post fermentation is allowed to occur even the best Ale would be disappointing. Also real Ale is only really at it best up to 5 days after it's tapped.

If the beer has poor head, no lacing, no mouth feel or any unusual taste you should blame the cellar man or publican before the brewery.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Where has it been off loaded to? Still brewed in Partridge Green.

Think you’ll find Fullers did not off load the brand at all. Fuller Smith and Turner approached Asahi to see if they’d buy the brewery as they wanted to concentrate on the pub estate. Fullers Chiswick and Dark Star being part of the brewery so was sold to Asahi along with Cornish Orchards Cider.

Thank you as I said but in more detail and correct spelling of Asahi

So recap the indipendant brewery Dark Star were purchased by Fullers who have history remember Gales HSB it was never the same after Fullers involvement anyway back to the story Fullers sold Dark Star to Asahi after only owning the Brewery for a very short time to me it looks like asset stripping as they wanted the pubs

It is true that the origional Dark Star brewery in Partridge Green is still being used it is also true that Asahi Group Holdings, Ltd as a Japanese global beer, spirits, soft drinks and food business group has its headquarters in Sumida, Tokyo with operations across Asia, Austrailia, America and increasingly Europe I have no insider knowledge but as global owners they may choose to incorpriate the Brewery into one of many existing sites

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thank you as I said but in more detail and correct spelling of Asahi

So recap the indipendant brewery Dark Star were purchased by Fullers who have history remember Gales HSB it was never the same after Fullers involvement anyway back to the story Fullers sold Dark Star to Asahi after only owning the Brewery for a very short time to me it looks like asset stripping as they wanted the pubs

It is true that the origional Dark Star brewery in Partridge Green is still being used it is also true that Asahi Group Holdings, Ltd as a Japanese global beer, spirits, soft drinks and food business group has its headquarters in Sumida, Tokyo with operations across Asia, Austrailia, America and increasingly Europe I have no insider knowledge but as global owners they may choose to incorpriate the Brewery into one of many existing sites

Not sure about asset striping, Do you mean Fuller Smith and Turner selling their own business? For it was them that wanted out of brewing. They approached Asahi to see if they were interested in buying the brewing side which included Fullers, Dark Star and Cornish Orchards. Also the Nector the distribution company.

Interesting you mention Gales for their recipes and especially yeast is still the same. The water, the same as London Pride is burtonised as the water local to Horndean and Chiswick is not suitable for ales.

Asahi Group Holding maybe the overall company but it is broken down into smaller groups Asahi UK being one. They in turn answer to AEI (Asahi Europe International) Each and every brewery acquired has kept its own identity but more so the brewery site hasn't been sold or moved. Therefore the beers are still brewed in their respective brewery and country such as Peroni is ALL imported.

Gales being purchased prior to Asahi does mean it is no longer brewed in Horndean though the yeast and other ingredients are still very much the same.

The only issue with Dark Star and Partridge Green is that the site is leasehold which is up shortly for renewal, it remains to be seen the outcome.

Unlike many huge companies Asahi want to retain the history of their brands and do not brew elsewhere other than the original breweries with one acceptation oddly and that is Asahi Super Dry which is brewed in Italy next to one of the Peroni Breweries but is fully operated by Japanese workforce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here