Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Why do toilets have rims?

Despite clocking up several thousand hours sitting on them, I've only just come to ponder this after seeing this ad

Screenshot_20230624-133055.png

It's as if they were actually designed to harbour dirt and germs!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
rim allows for the water to come out all round the bowl. rim less sends most water direct down the trap. i suspect the benefits of rim are overlooked, otherwise they'd not go to the toruble of making them (easier to make rim less).

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Despite clocking up several thousand hours sitting on them, I've only just come to ponder this after seeing this ad

View attachment 162673

It's as if they were actually designed to harbour dirt and germs!

I have recently had rimless toilets installed and though they are easier to clean, I do find the odd spot of water escapes over the top of the bowl when flushed. Not a major issue as it's clean water, unless you're wearing pale trousers as it can look like the dot of shame.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Ours are rimless and I’ve noticed splashback when flushing. This has resulted in needing to put the lid down before pressing the go button
Do you not put the lid down before you flush anyway?
That’s grim

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I did have the pleasure of using one those Japanese electronic ones in a hotel a few years ago.

My rim had never been so clean.

rim allows for the water to come out all round the bowl. rim less sends most water direct down the trap. i suspect the benefits of rim are overlooked, otherwise they'd not go to the toruble of making them (easier to make rim less).
This is the sort of answer I was seeking. I suppose I should really have asked if rimless ones flush as well as the traditional.
Anyway, Google now thinks I have a particular interest in public toilets...

oneoutoffive__e26d88fc84-1.jpg

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Because without a rim what you would have, essentially, is a puddle (or an infinitely tall porcelain cylinder)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here