Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do footballers take their shirts off?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Firstly its an instant Yellow card

Secondly the majority of football fans are males.......and I am one male who does not want to see sweaty footballer showing his muscles.

Please stop it.....footychick and others may of course disagree.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Firstly its an instant Yellow card

Secondly the majority of football fans are males.......and I am one male who does not want to see sweaty footballer showing his muscles.

Please stop it.....footychick and others may of course disagree.

What do you mean, players....half the Leeds fans had their tops off at the Amex by the end of the game!!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm sure it is something the shirt sponsors keep asking themselves too, someone has just scored and will get a nice plug for the sponsor and they decide to whip the shirt off and twirl it round their head!!

It is pretty much the only sport where it happens, there was a bit of it in cricket during the ashes series, but seems to have calmed down now.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Speak for yourself.

There was no greater sight last season than the wonderful Vicente ripping off his shirt and running over in front of the west stand.
Us girlies went all gooey.

:love:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Thanks, Taybha. Really enjoyed that.

Interesting to watch the reaction from Barnes after Lua Lua had passed the ball to Vicente instead of him. Even though Vicente scored from that pass, Barnes body language was crap. Talk about the incredible sulk.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Interesting to watch the reaction from Barnes after Lua Lua had passed the ball to Vicente instead of him. Even though Vicente scored from that pass, Barnes body language was crap. Talk about the incredible sulk.

To be fair to him, being annoyed to not receive the ball when you're in a shooting position isn't a bad trait to have for an attacker.

I forget how the rest of the game had gone but that might have been frustration as much as anything where he hadn't scored previously

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Why do footballers take their shirts off?

Cos they're stupid. Instant yellow card, 3 points. Should be fined a week's wages.

Dec 29, 2011
It's an out poor of emotion. The fact that it now carries a penalty makes it all the more special as people only do it in very special circumstances.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
When Vicente did it, it just worked on so many levels. So that was fair enough. When Ryan Giggs did it after THAT goal against Arsenal, that was spot on as a celebration too. But the vast majority of the time it is just daft. Balotelli against Germany was spot on too, and had that not happened, we'd never have had this;
mario-balotelli-meme-finish-him.png

:lolol:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Do they have hot flushes after they score ?

(Thinks - if I'd done it when I played I'd rarely have had the damned shirt on.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here