Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Why all the white vans, RVs, Motor Homes etc. parked up in Neville Road?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I had cause to drive down Neville Road earlier today.

I had noted it on previous visits but today the number of white vans and other vehicles parked up between the start at the King George VI Avenue all along the road until the Neville pub was incredible.

Are they residents? Are they workers pitched up for local jobs?

Quite a few looked like they hadn't moved for a while and it seemed like there was nothing else on that section of road.

Old Google street view image for reference:

1709488375007.png

It was much more noticeable today that at any other time I remember.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Similar scene near the race course at the top of Wilsons Avenue, plenty of camping vans and caravans. Not sure if people are living in them though.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I also noticed them on Nevill Road the other day. Also on the seafront road at Widewater between Shoreham and Lancing. I noticed they were parked on parts of the road where no resident was likely to complain about them, e.g. by a fence adjoining undeveloped land.

For years, there has been a community of them on Surrenden Road between Preston Park and Ditchling Road. Then a few of the vans were vandalised, and there are fewer of them now. There is also the steady creep and enforcement of parking restrictions on residential roads where they would once have parked, so the owners are forced further out to roads where the council have not yet done their 'no parking between 10am and 11am' routine.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I also noticed them on Nevill Road the other day. Also on the seafront road at Widewater between Shoreham and Lancing. I noticed they were parked on parts of the road where no resident was likely to complain about them, e.g. by a fence adjoining undeveloped land.

For years, there has been a community of them on Surrenden Road between Preston Park and Ditchling Road. Then a few of the vans were vandalised, and there are fewer of them now. There is also the steady creep and enforcement of parking restrictions on residential roads where they would once have parked, so the owners are forced further out to roads where the council have not yet done their 'no parking between 10am and 11am' routine.

A couple of years ago by the 'SLF - Surrenden Liberation Front', a local book or Yoga club gone rogue, I'll bet :wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Many of these roads mentioned above have one thing in common, currently they don’t fall into the City Councils restricted parking zones (permit/limited time and pay and display) so for that reason alone people utilise these spaces, as the council slowly introduce restrictive parking conditions to the suburbs these vehicles will move northwards.

Classic examples are the entire Surrenden Road is now permit soft parking and as a result Braybon Avenue is now awash with cars, Withdean area above and below the stadium is now soft parking permits and has had a similar effect. further north

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A couple of years ago by the 'SLF - Surrenden Liberation Front', a local book or Yoga club gone rogue, I'll bet :wink:
Yes, I've seen the yoga stretches those suburban woman do. They are barely legal. As is vandalising a campervan with scrawling SLF on it.

My wife belongs to a book club in Patcham and, to my knowledge, the members don't go around vandalising campervans. Well, not on weekdays anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here