Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] WhoScored.com podcast; Brighton love-in

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
When the fella talks about the "consistency at the end of last season", I can only assume the Newcastle, Nottingham Forest and Everton games passed him by :lol:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
When the fella talks about the "consistency at the end of last season", I can only assume the Newcastle, Nottingham Forest and Everton games passed him by :lol:
Have noticed it a lot recently. Lazy punditry. I think in hindsight we did well considering the congestion, injuries, fatigue etc but it's a bit of a rewrite of history to say we ended the season well. It was post WC we were at our best.
You could argue the Everton result was one of the worst of the season for any team.
Lovely to hear more nice words though..

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Have noticed it a lot recently. Lazy punditry. I think in hindsight we did well considering the congestion, injuries, fatigue etc but it's a bit of a rewrite of history to say we ended the season well. It was post WC we were at our best.
You could argue the Everton result was one of the worst of the season for any team.
Lovely to hear more nice words though..
Maybe it's just natural pessimism, but a lot of Albion fans I've heard have accepted that the team is unlikely to match the 6th place from last season because of the European football. And yet here we are and someone on a podcast is tipping the team to challenge for the title! The sceptic in me thinks it's done for the publicity and to go viral, because I can't honestly see them getting anywhere near that.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Maybe it's just natural pessimism, but a lot of Albion fans I've heard have accepted that the team is unlikely to match the 6th place from last season because of the European football. And yet here we are and someone on a podcast is tipping the team to challenge for the title! The sceptic in me thinks it's done for the publicity and to go viral, because I can't honestly see them getting anywhere near that.
I'm as pessimistic and realistic as they come. I'll say this much, there's as much chance of us winning the league as there is getting relegated. So I'll take that.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
“I just don’t understand why the perception of this team is that there’s a ceiling”

😎

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
“I just don’t understand why the perception of this team is that there’s a ceiling”

😎
I guess because we can't compete with the financial resources and historical reputations of teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City/Utd. They can attract far bigger home crowds than us (and hence gate receipts), enjoy a truly global fan-base (bringing in a fortune through overseas sale of merchandise) ,and have achieved far more than us historically. They also have long-standing reputations for greatness and 'kudos'.

This means that however well we do, however high the Seagulls fly, the 'big six' will always lure our best players with more money, and the career-defining opportunity to play for a world-famous club.

It was almost inevitable that our success last season would lead to star players like Mac Allister and Caicedo leaving for 'bigger' clubs and very much bigger salaries. I know Chelsea finished way below us, but - even though I despise them - they have a historic reputation as one of Britain's biggest and most successful teams.

If we do repeat last season's success, in spite of losing Mac and Caicedo, it is almost inevitable that brilliant players like Ferguson and Mitoma will also leave next summer; Liverpool are reportedly already penciling in Ferguson as a prime transfer target for next summer.

We'll always be punching above our weight.

Last edited:

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
I guess because we can't compete with the financial resources and historical reputations of teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City/Utd. They can attract far bigger home crowds than us (and hence gate receipts), enjoy a truly global fan-base (bringing in a fortune through overseas sale of merchandise) ,and have achieved far more than us historically. They also have long-standing reputations for greatness and 'kudos'.

This means that however well we do, however high the Seagulls fly, the 'big six' will always lure our best players with ore money, and the career-defining opportunity to play for a world-famous club.

It was almost inevitable that our success last season would lead to star players like Mac Allister and Caicedo leaving for 'bigger' clubs and very much bigger salaries. I know Chelsea finished way below us, but - even though I despise them - they have a historic reputation as one of Britain's biggest and most successful teams.

If we do repeat last season's success, in spite of losing Mac and Caicedo, it is almost inevitable that brilliant players like Ferguson and Mitoma will also leave next summer; Liverpool are reportedly already penciling in Ferguson as a prime transfer target for next summer.

We'll always be punching above our weight.

All true in terms of a monetary, historical and commercial sense. But he’s talking about a footballing sense. Not many teams have been playing as well as Brighton in the last 12 months and despite only playing Luton and Wolves there doesn’t appear to be any sign of that stopping/changing anytime soon.

I don’t want everyone to get too far ahead of themselves as what you are saying is true, we have also got some defensive weaknesses and extra fixtures to contend with for the first time. But his point still stands

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Really enjoyed watching that 👍. Intelligent chat. As George (who???) said, we've given away a number of chances first two games, and better teams will punish us.
Ok, so we'll have to win 5-4 etc, no problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here