Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who will lead the EPL fightback against the Super League?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It gives you the ability to be taken seriously as a leader rather than a follower. The club has taken a leadership role in many other areas over the years, accelerating that stance over particularly the last 2-3 years. I find it both surprising and disappointing that they have chosen not to adopt a similar position of leadership on a subject that appears to pose an existential threat to the fabric of the game. I know that others do not see it the same way, and that’s fair enough.

Whilst I like to think of BHA as a leader (and we are, in many areas), in this instance it's more important for clubs of the stature of Everton to come out first (and even Leeds, in wearing the shirts last night). With the best will in the world, we don't have much clout in this. I'm hoping that Leicester, Villa, Wolves, etc will join the fray...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However, if the whole point is to be united, I take it you also disagree with the timing of the statement - ie before the 'other 14' have opined as a group?
No I don't disagree with the timing. I expect all clubs to come out against the idea. They can write considered statements and release them when necessary. It's your belief that each club should have raced to be first that I disagree with. Sure you haven't said 'each club', but it looks like you wanted whatever is your club to be first, so fans like you presumably feel the same about their club.

I think that's a daft notion. We were first, we were first! as if that should be a badge of honour.

The goal should simply be to stop this. All other clubs standing together against it would be a huge help in achieving that goal. So what if some release statements before others. If the move is stopped, then it's job done.

And it's not like a club making a statement first has taken any sort of risk in doing so, as it's pretty bloody obvious the fans are dead against the idea.

Cool heads in this situation are no bad thing. Some (like Shearer) want the 6 clubs immediately banned from the PL. IMO that's a stupid idea. Not only is it probably not a legal option, but that would mean than those 6 clubs have no choice but to form a new Super League, and I'm sure the Spanish and Italian clubs would be happy to join (because their leagues just aren't as good as ours).

I think the solution is extremely simple:
If they form the new league, they will be immediately banned from the PL.
But if they don't, then there are no fines, no points deductions etc.
And they will get no concessions for choosing to stay.

There's no way they'd choose to leave.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The thing about the Big Six is that they haven't always been the Big Six. Most fans over 40 wouldn't notice the difference if Chelsea and Man City were replaced at the top of the new Premier League by Everton and Leeds - a like for like substitution in terms of stature before the sheiks and oligarchs showed up.

So that leaves Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs. I don't think there is a great deal of love for Man Utd or Liverpool across supporters in general - the word 'entitled' springs to mind, and if it were in any doubt it has been proved by their owners in driving the ESL concept.

As for Arsenal and Spurs, you almost want them to end up in this ESL purgatory which will be punishment enough.

I am curious to see how a Premier League without the Big Six will play out. Yes, you may lose some big names but with a more level playing field it is more likely some of those sleeping giants or former greats like Nottingham Forest, Derby, Sheff Wed, Sunderland, Blackburn, Ipswich and QPR may return.

I have been predicting for some time that the Premier League would be the same 23 teams, with the money putting the relegated 3 in pole position to bounce back. It could happen that we get the same 3 coming up as got relegated a year ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if Fulham, West Brom and Sheff Utd got promoted in 2021/22.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Funny thing is, tho they may not realise it, the 14 EPL Remainers hold ALL the chips. They can vote to expel The Snide Six and carry on with a proper competitive domestic league exactly as before, albeit with a long overdue correction in telly money and wage levels

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Funny thing is, tho they may not realise it, the 14 EPL Remainers hold ALL the chips. They can vote to expel The Snide Six and carry on with a proper competitive domestic league exactly as before, albeit with a long overdue correction in telly money and wage levels

Yup!!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

That’s exactly my hope. Would be a vastly refreshing league. Get rid of all the plastics.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Would love this to happen. Get rid of VAR at the same time and next season would be just fantastic. More realistically, I do think the other 14 will come out fighting later today........

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

If this is possible, then the more I think of it, the more I like the idea. When doing they can also vote to reintroduce tackling, get rid of the 5 sub rule and all the small little tweaks to the game that are reducing the competitive nature of the 90 minutes in favour of the big clubs. I fear however there is more chance of Lord Lucan being found playing guitar in a double act with Elvis at Butlins in Bognor.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Reminds me of our efforts in 96 during York city game. Someone needs to snap a crossbar, and spray paint the pitch!!

It was a bit meek that they ran onto the pitch, milled around a bit and then ran off again. If you’re going to do something, do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here