Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Who remembers cloaks records back of the old Churchill square

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The problem with trying to avoid audiophiles, is they can always hear you coming.

I love the whole ritual of getting the vinyl out and positioning the needle etc., it makes it feel like a proper event. But I don't find myself in that moment very often, one way or another. I also love the slightly Heath Robinson nature of my set up, it's very me in a way that my phone or laptop never can be.

Incidentally, one of the people I asked just came back with roughly once a fortnight.

It's great when you get a bargin, the majority of my turnables were purchsed second hand, sold as faulty and I have fixed them. My best bargin was an Audio Technia LP60 with BT I paid £10 for. I replaced the belt and no issues. I have it in my office so I can play records while working. It is fully automatic so I don't have to worry if I get stuck concentrating on something and don't realised it has finished. Sounds OK as well. An Audiophile would poop their pants if I told them I had an analogue device playing through bluetooth :eek::lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have 3 Hi-fi set ups, a PA and numerous guitar amps, DJ decks and a proper turntable, love it all . . . listen to records very regularly . . . If I need to do anything, lik eiron shirts for work, it'll be in the music room with records playing!

spotify in the car is probably the most used at the moment due to commuting, but there's lots of good music thats not on it.

Jul 7, 2003
Tapes? as in cassettes? Crikey, do you still have something to play them on?

I used to travel around a lot so would tape all my albums so I could listen on my imitation walkman. One the CD walkmans came out the tapes were boxes and probably hadn't seen light of day in nearly 30 years.

Many of those I found I just binned but kept back a few for sentimental reasons or because they are bands or tracks I had forgotten about and will try to revisit. I do still have an old tape walkman around somewhere - probably with my ZX81 and 16k RAM pack.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
A&S Records
That was run by the guys that used to run the record corner in Redifusion on the high street. Two doors down from the legendary Dennis Lee's. I used to cash my giro and go straight across the road into A&S, buy an album, pop in the fish shop a few doors closer home and buy a bag of mussels. Then have £10 to feed me for the next fortnight. And I've been a vinyl Junkie ever since. Hard to resist with a dozen record shops in walk of Brighton station or Churchill Square for the last quarter of the 20th Century. In London it's a shlap to a record shop, but then a tube or bus to the next and then they're expensive.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Yes, Tony who was the proprietor used to run the record department at the Back of Redifusion on the High St ( now Maxis PO and Tom Foollery ) When that ceased ( '83/'84 ) Tony Started on his own in Brunswick Road, first as A&S records then later as Atomic ( I think it was that way round ) He closed and went online WFH over 15 years ago now. Not sure If he's still around or trading, he was a big Blondie fan, but always has some interesting and different stuff in, was also good at locating and ordering oddities.

I bought my first singles ( Madness, specials etc from 1980) from Redifusion, and regularly from A&S up until he closed.

https://jemtunes.wordpress.com/tag/atomic-sounds/

Read your reply after telling the same story in a long post. I saved for months to buy a Monkee's compilation in Redifusion, then it had gone before I turned up. Have picked up three cheap Copies in recent years and now my daughters and I each have a one. My youngest's favourite is Blondie. The eldest is Billy Eillish (not Childish, unfortunately).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Read your reply after telling the same story in a long post. I saved for months to buy a Monkee's compilation in Redifusion, then it had gone before I turned up. Have picked up three cheap Copies in recent years and now my daughters and I each have a one. My youngest's favourite is Blondie. The eldest is Billy Eillish (not Childish, unfortunately).

I remember buying a double cassette kinks comp in Woolies, used to get some bargains in there . . .pre carboot/charidee shop record buying days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here