Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who on here has switched allegiance from another League club to the Albion?

Who on here has switched allegiance from another League club to the Albion?

• Yes, that’ll be me

• Nope, Albion have always been my first team.

Results are only viewable after voting.

I'm one of them.

As you may know, I'm Japanese. So, it was always difficult for me to choose which European clubs to root for. I don't like filthy extravagant clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea. Traditional mega clubs like Real Madrid are also boring for me because "winning is too normal". So, I used to root for Arsenal in that Arsenal is and was a very thrifty club under Arsene Wenger and they didn't win EPL for many years. "Winning EPL is once in 10 years or less" for Arsenal, which makes it more interesting for me to root for Arsenal. Brighton has become a better version of Arsenal for me. Brighton spent quite a long time in lower leagues, which makes one victory in EPL even more special and Brighton is very thrifty. Not only that, Brighton has my most favorite Japanese footballer Mitoma. Not only that, the hometown is a beautiful port city, which is important for me in that fishing and skiing are one of my biggest hobbies. I will keep rooting for Brighton even if Mitoma leaves because Brighton has become special for me already ;)

I know I'm still a "baby" as a Brighton fan in that I'm one year old Brighton fan🤣
Really?! 🤦

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I grew up in south Devon. My old man was in the navy and not really home until I was about 10 and my mum doesn’t like football. I therefore followed the crowd and ended up as a kid of the 80s supporting Liverpool (John Barnes was my hero). However, when dad finished on the subs he was not impressed with this position and made it clear in no uncertain terms that football doesn’t work like that. I either support Brighton like him (he grew up int he area in 40s-60s and rarely missed matches) or my local side which was Torquay. He didn’t mind which but that is how it works.

My dad was massive. 6 foot 6 and although he didn’t often hit me he was quite a presence so I went for Brighton. It was a pretty grim experience after in one of my first seasons failing in play offs in 91 to tumbling down the leagues. It looks a wise choice now though.

That said I did start going to quite a few Torquay matches and really enjoyed it.

So yes I did change clubs to Brighton but not for the sort of reasons that people laugh at.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Great question, and one I've pondered for a while this evening. I lived in Scotland 'til I was 7, and moved to Sussex having 'supported' Rangers, as, I can only surmise, they wore my favourite colour. Why I was even interested in football, given that no one in the family could have given a flying monkey's, is a mystery.
My first friend down here lived on my road, supported Brighton who also wore blue... it was written in the stars.

Edit: Just remembered: on Friday I met a 9 yr old (in a school) wearing a Brighton hoodie; I asked why he supported them. He said he didn't know. But there's someone who in ten years' time, will go out for a few beers one evening, come back home, mindlessly scroll through NSC, and end up here. Fan for life, Cohen!! :albion2:

Last edited:

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I've been Albion from age 4 onwards although I went to college at Goldsmiths and went to watch Milwall on many occasions when I lived in the New Cross/Lewisham area - I wouldn't say I was ever a Milwall fan though.
I went to Millwall too as a Goldsmith student. The north side of that traffic artery into London is brutal.

Always Brighton. Remember considering Spurs but I think my dad (Pompey fan) gave me some sage advice!

Incredibly lucky to have timed having kids who now love Brighton even though we live in London. Such love and respect at our club. Arguably the best run club in the world.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
My parents used to pass me and my brother out to my grandmother, who lived in Brighton, for the school holidays every summer. Of course we had a whale of a time and our highlight was watching pre-season friendlies at the Goldstone before returning up to Shropshire. Back up there we were both big Wolves fans and our second favourite was Brighton. My Brighton memories go back to the 1960's, Kit Napier and later Alan Duffy spring to mind.
Fast forward to 1974, I moved into my grandmother's house in Brighton and my allegiance switched immediately. My brother stayed a Wolves fan and has followed them home and away all his life. Brighton v Wolves is always a big occasion for us both.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
The majority of Brighton fans my age (30) will have supported another team before switching to Brighton. But that’s not a dig in the slightest I genuinely believe that’s down to the Withdean stadium rather than Brighton being in the lower leagues.

In my year at school quite literally no one went to Brighton games bar me, but having been in town for a few pre Grimsby (Crowns / Lamb and Flag (dependant on age :wink:)) and Bournemouth (Edinburgh) I saw 4 people from my school/school year who are now season ticket holders.

Some of its down to parents of course - but had Brighton had an actual stadium during the late 90’s/00’s heaps of folk would’ve gone Brighton games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The majority of Brighton fans my age (30) will have supported another team before switching to Brighton. But that’s not a dig in the slightest I genuinely believe that’s down to the Withdean stadium rather than Brighton being in the lower leagues.

In my year at school quite literally no one went to Brighton games bar me, but having been in town for a few pre Grimsby (Crowns / Lamb and Flag (dependant on age :wink:)) and Bournemouth (Edinburgh) I saw 4 people from my school/school year who are now season ticket holders.

Some of its down to parents of course - but had Brighton had an actual stadium during the late 90’s/00’s heaps of folk would’ve gone Brighton games.

Generally in Brighton parks with my kids 10, 15 years ago all I saw was Chavski shirts on kids, sometimes the :wanker: dads:wanker: too. Jumping on the Abramovich spending spree. Albion tops definitely the minority.

Obviously the theft of the Goldstone was THE underlying cause.

Digressing, I think it’s funny that when Manure or Arsenal win a game, middle-aged plastics feel emboldened to wear the top round Brighton the following day. Didn’t see an Arsenal shirt in years, this season they’re popping up all over the place. Typically on supermarket shops.

Psychologists call it Reflected Glory. But it’s the breaking out the shirt thing, to tell this city that your team won and you’re part of it, that’s odd.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Generally in Brighton parks with my kids 10, 15 years ago all I saw was Chavski shirts on kids, sometimes the :wanker: dads:wanker: too. Jumping on the Abramovich spending spree. Albion tops definitely the minority.

Obviously the theft of the Goldstone was THE underlying cause.

Digressing, I think it’s funny that when Manure or Arsenal win a game, middle-aged plastics feel emboldened to wear the top round Brighton the following day. Didn’t see an Arsenal shirt in years, this season they’re popping up all over the place. Typically on supermarket shops.

Psychologists call it Reflected Glory. But it’s the breaking out the shirt thing, to tell this city that your team won and you’re part of it, that’s odd.
Absolutely this (certainly for my generation).

As for plastics, I never have or never will get annoyed by them although I agree with what you’re saying.

You or I will get a bigger ‘buzz’ after winning a home game against absolutely anyone than they would get watching their side win a league, or a Champions League down the King & Queen. So for me - it’s them who are missing out, and I almost feel sorry for them.

My daughter (if she ends up liking football) won’t have a choice in who she supports. She’s already been to the Lane (Pompey FA Cup in Jan) which is why when I get ‘support your local team’ rammed down my throat I always think there should be a caveat - local team or parents team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here