Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who are Brighton's biggest rivals?

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
I get the Palace rivalry but I can't ever see them as our main rivals. For me our main rivals are the one closest to where we are at the time. A 40 mile rivalry over a Cup match 50 years ago. No South London club sees them as real rivals, why should we? I detest them, they are a horrible cheating club with the most needy fanbase. But our main rivals? Not for me.

I know a fair few Millwall and Charlton fans and they all, to a man, HATE Palace.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I seem to recall one of my old school mates getting into a bit of a pickle up there???. I went there a couple of times (once when Nathan Jones played for them). Didn't they have some sort of ludicrous diddly apples and pair cockney wanker goal celebration music, or was that Orient?

Orient played YMCA and any other songs that Bueno or whatever his name was thought had hilarious gay connotations.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well I’ve never really thought about Orient apart from when we used to play them had a couple of good days out there. As rivals absolutely never. Did I see tinpot Reading mentioned somewhere on this thread well that’s even more ludicrous then Orient.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Orient played YMCA and any other songs that Bueno or whatever his name was thought had hilarious gay connotations.

Oh yes, you're right. What an absolute weapon he was.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
By “doing fine” I assume you mean “not being a proper football club”. Noddy clubs like Bournemouth and Reading can get by without one but we’ve got a proper rival to look forward to games against, thank goodness. Sport needs rivalry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that before 76 we weren't a proper football club. Thanks to Palace we became one.

That said, we weren't really 'proper' even then.

Arguably we aren't even now. Compared with the likes of ManU, Spurs and Arsenal, we aren't proper.

Alternatively the above could simply be a load of old bollocks :wink:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well I’ve never really thought about Orient apart from when we used to play them had a couple of good days out there. As rivals absolutely never. Did I see tinpot Reading mentioned somewhere on this thread well that’s even more ludicrous then Orient.

The swooping for Coppell, Sidwell, the Eastern Bloc guy whose name escapes me and other things at the time made Tinpot Reading rivals in my small mind (we were also tin pot then as well).. I was once jealous of their ground but in fairness I was also jealous of Millwalls at one stage.

I have different take to a few of you re rivals. To suggest Palace were actually our only rivals when we hardly played them in 20 odd years is laughable to me.

You can only have rivals if you play against them regularly. The Palace rivalry was reignited when we got into the Championship. I remember many fans saying they didn't even see it as a rivalry because they had hardly seen us play them.

There is no right or wrong to this rivals bollocks anyway, depends on your personal view imo. Nothing is set in stone, some still don't see Palace as the game they want to win the most (I DO NOT include myself in that thought though)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The swooping for Coppell, Sidwell, the Eastern Bloc guy whose name escapes me and other things at the time made Tinpot Reading rivals in my small mind (we were also tin pot then as well).. I was once jealous of their ground but in fairness I was also jealous of Millwalls at one stage.

I have different take to a few of you re rivals. To suggest Palace were actually our only rivals when we hardly played them in 20 odd years is laughable to me.

You can only have rivals if you play against them regularly. The Palace rivalry was reignited when we got into the Championship. I remember many fans saying they didn't even see it as a rivalry because they had hardly seen us play them.

There is no right or wrong to this rivals bollocks anyway, depends on your personal view imo. Nothing is set in stone, some still don't see Palace as the game they want to win the most (I DO NOT include myself in that thought though)
TBH I’ve seen more violence at Pompey than when we’ve played Palace. I’ve got off the train at Fratton and seen something I can only describe as the Wild West chairs flying out of bars various punch ups in the road. What I found most amusing that day was Albion fans getting stuck in who didn’t seem the type, my mates dad who was a church goer quiet man was hitting a Pompey fan in the face whilst pinning him down on a car bonnet :lolol:
I’m going back mid eighties maybe the older lot then did see Pompey as the real rivals.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
TBH I’ve seen more violence at Pompey than when we’ve played Palace. I’ve got off the train at Fratton and seen something I can only describe as the Wild West chairs flying out of bars various punch ups in the road. What I found most amusing that day was Albion fans getting stuck in who didn’t seem the type, my mates dad who was a church goer quiet man was hitting a Pompey fan in the face whilst pinning him down on a car bonnet :lolol:
I’m going back mid eighties maybe the older lot then did see Pompey as the real rivals.

Pompey were like that with everyone then, it was bad area and they had a notorious hooligan firm, no one got a nice welcome.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Leaving Fratton Park in the eighties was dodgy, I agree!

Having followed the Albion since the mid seventies, I don’t think we were ever in the same division as them very often so I’ve never seen them a rivals like the other teams mentioned but I know some longer following fans do

I know [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] who is a youngster by comparison has real problems with them for some reason :shrug:

Last edited:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Obviously Palace. But Orient definitely were for a while there. I can only assume that the people saying 'never' stopped watching the Albion during that time.

That FA cup game where we had more away supporters than they had home supporters wouldn't have happened if there wasn't a rivalry.

I grant you that it was probably short lived, and has definitely gone quite as we haven't played them in so long. But it was a thing, and I'm sure you'd still find Orient supporters who'd tell you the same.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Obviously Palace. But Orient definitely were for a while there. I can only assume that the people saying 'never' stopped watching the Albion during that time.

That FA cup game where we had more away supporters than they had home supporters wouldn't have happened if there wasn't a rivalry.

I grant you that it was probably short lived, and has definitely gone quite as we haven't played them in so long. But it was a thing, and I'm sure you'd still find Orient supporters who'd tell you the same.

They definitely were, the Wilkins incident and Barry Hearn pushing for a points deduction did not help, Scott McLeish, Peter Shilton 1000 game or whatever live on tv, protests at Brisbane Road being dealt with very heavy handedly by stewards, all added to the spice at the time, we absolutely went on mass every time., they had some kind of hoodoo over us, we failed to beat them on 9 attempts from 96 until 99 !!
It was sheer delight to smash them in front of 8000+ at Brisbane Road, I would guess nearly half of them were Albion fans there that day to see Zamora and Brooker score and banish the hoodoo as we went up in style that season.

Hated Orient at the time, did not see too much violence that I can recall, it was all rather one sided from us, if I recall, smashed up a pub on the high road one game I think, then the police closed all the pubs the next time we came, which did not go to plan, as the off licenses along the high road were happy to sell us alcohol.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
They definitely were, the Wilkins incident and Barry Hearn pushing for a points deduction did not help, Scott McLeish, Peter Shilton 1000 game or whatever live on tv, protests at Brisbane Road being dealt with very heavy handedly by stewards, all added to the spice at the time, we absolutely went on mass every time., they had some kind of hoodoo over us, we failed to beat them on 9 attempts from 96 until 99 !!
It was sheer delight to smash them in front of 8000+ at Brisbane Road, I would guess nearly half of them were Albion fans there that day to see Zamora and Brooker score and banish the hoodoo as we went up in style that season.

Hated Orient at the time, did not see too much violence that I can recall, it was all rather one sided from us, if I recall, smashed up a pub on the high road one game I think, then the police closed all the pubs the next time we came, which did not go to plan, as the off licenses along the high road were happy to sell us alcohol.

The season after the Wilkins incident, which was our first season at Gillingham, we played them 3 times in August, once in the league and twice in the league cup. We lost two and drew 1. I think that helped cement my strong dislike of them.

theboybilly

I know a fair few Millwall and Charlton fans and they all, to a man, HATE Palace.

As a SE London boy brought up in the 1950s (4 miles from Charlton) I can assure you there is a hate for Palace from both other clubs but neither see them as rivals. There's something about SE London that sets it apart (or at least did) from the Croydon Annexe. I've never considered Palace a true London club (they were a Surrey team in my youth before they got a London postcode) Nobody I knew supported them, not one, but I knew loads of Charlton (obviously) and many, many Millwall and other London clubs

KnowRivalryJR

Aug 8, 2022
Heard this rivalry started after heated disagreements over who was better Neymar or Jose Izquierdo - to this day no accepted answer remains

If you do have the time it would be great to get your input on the survey!

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Pointless thread. Of course it’s Palace. Why would hundreds turn up in Croydon at 11 in the morning when it’s a 3pm kick off in the mid-late 70’s. The Whitgift centre? Not a topic for discussion. Will always be Palace. Might be a generation thing I get that, but listen to your elders it was mayhem back in the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here