Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Which decade made you ?

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
80's without a doubt, left school in 81 and went straight into the Royal Navy at 16. Less than a year later I am at war in the Falklands. 85 saw us getting shot at again by Iran and Iraq while trying to guard the Straits of Hurmuz in the Gulf. In 8 years I served on 3 different ships and a few shore bases, travelled the world and got paid for doing it.

Medical discharge from the Navy in 1989 having been involved in a crash on the M25. I was broken down on the hard shoulder sat on my motorbike, fire brigade on their way to a an accident further round the motorway and were using the hard shoulder to get there, ran over me and the bike. 7 months in hospital and they decided I would never be fit enough to go to sea again.

I had to sue Surrey County Council as it was their fire brigade that ran me over, local paper in Littlehampton wrote a story about me and being ex Navy and not being able to get a job. A guy who owned a golf distribution company and was also ex Navy saw the story, contacted my solicitor and said he would give me a job....That was 34 years ago and I'm still here now....

Had an amazing 25 odd years of partying and travelling right up to 2007, needed a good excuse to slow down a bit and so our daughter was born. Slowed us down for a bit but now I'm going to gigs and football with her...reliving my youth..lol..

If I hadn't gone the Navy route back in 81 I would of most probably ended up dead or in jail. Saved my bacon joining up and I still miss it, a lot.

Me Atome

Mar 10, 2024
1970's, no question.
In 1970 I was still at school.
In 1980 I was living with the lady who was soon to become my wife.
A little bit of sex and drugs and rock'n'roll in between.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Me and my brother are going to a revival night in November just over the back from what used to be the sanctuary.
There's still tickets available for the following week.
View attachment 180869
I remember getting a national express bus to the Sanctuary and Rollers for a NYE Dreamscape (edit might have been Helterskelter) event that picked us up from the Castle Pub Hickstead late 90’s.

Some night that was and the quietest Id ever seen our group on the way back around 9am.

Also managed to pull a muscle in the Gabba tent during a Clarkee set around 2am which was fun for the last 4 hours!

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's weird. It's not a decade for me, it's specifically 1996.

I remember nothing of 1995 and before in terms of influences (I was 8/9). I don't remember sport. I don't really remember songs resonating with me. I have no idea what I was doing.

But then BAM. Hello 1996. Euro 96, suddenly I loved football apparently. I did the terrible thing of being too pathetic aged 9 to proudly say "I support Brighton" and in my desperation also picked Arsenal (I liked the kit) to follow as well so I could join in with PL chat but not be involved with the Man Utd onslaught that was taking place on the playground. That has stuck to this day, sorry.

My first album from a band (Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must go). Song's suddenly meant something. I remember listening to Don't Look Back In Anger on repeat, sharing earphones with a friend on a school bus. Firestarter being on TV and being terrified/excited in equal measure

I remember going to america and taking in the Atlanta Olympics. Michael Johnson. I suddenly loved basketball and became obsessed with Michael Jordan and anything Chicago Bulls. I was COVERED in MERCH. The music on the radio then, Killing Me Softly (fugees) and a Mariah Carey track being on constantly.

It all clicked in the space of about 6 months.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
There are going to be some folk there, that will realise they cant party like it's 1999 anymore....
Without a doubt. Me and my brother included, both overweight and unfit.
Still, I will definitely get around to pressing the buy button on that rowing machine that's been sat in my basket for 4 months. Probably.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The 70s. I think most of my values were established then; heavily influenced by punk and Rock Against Racism. They really haven't changed that much and I have always questioned authority, particularly when it was me, as a senior manager, that had it.

Nicks

70's for me.
Left School and home at 16 in 1974.
Straight into the Navy at HMS Ganges where you learnt very quickly especially being the youngest in our recruitment.
Fast forward a year and I'm sailing around the Mediterranean in a Pussers war canoe for 6 months living the dream and being treated like a man and learning to drink and at times fight like a man.
Had some great ships and ended up at the young age of 20 programming Polaris Nuclear Missiles on a 3 month Patrol underwater .
Loved it all and made friends for life with blokes from all sorts of backgrounds and we still keep in touch to these days 50 years on.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
60s for me. Influenced my tastes in music and my love of football and the Albion. Good time to be a teenager, which I was for most of the decade. Got my education and had more disposable income doing a part time car cleaning job than I think I have ever had since, and able to run my Lambretta. What’s not to love?
All downhill from there! 😂

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Me and my brother are going to a revival night in November just over the back from what used to be the sanctuary.
There's still tickets available for the following week.
View attachment 180869
Hixxy, Ratpack and Slipmatt, I'm in (I'm not)! :rave:
My Jnr wants to go to this, he can't he's too young, but he's been banging on for ages that I should go (I think he's expecting me to stand there with my phone and film it for him :lolol:). When he 1st said about it a couple of months ago, I thought it was some Twitter/Insta crap and said it can't be as The Sanctuary is now something like a furniture store. Is it in the place they used to have as an 'add on'. We went just before it closed, the Oldskool tent was a bit of a shambles as the power kept cutting out and the music was so quiet we could talk to each other without shouting, elf n safety innit.
Slipmatt also played somewhere last year that was 'Over 40's only', I liked that idea, they probably would've provided comfy chairs! :giggle:
Don't forget to take your whistle, the 'yoof' don't get it, so the tradition needs to be passed on! I've just shown Jnr the flyer to check it's the right one, he confirmed it's the one and has now gone upstairs to mix some Oldskool vinyl. Listening to it down here, where you can only hear bass, makes me want to ring my mum and apologise! :unsure:

The 90's for me. Early 90's raving, the late 90's were totally different and not as much fun but made me in a different way.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Early 1999-2005 for me, left school at 16 and ended up getting a job in Glasgow at 18, found drugs, went mental, moved back down south, partied like a loon for about 4 years (mostly drum and bass in places like the end and fabric) ended up pretty low and in a lot of debt.

Met my missus around 2005, calmed down, got married, had kids, probably shouldn’t have married her so struggling at the moment but I’m sure everything will work itself out one way or another.

Definitely miss clubbing and taking ecstacy.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Hixxy, Ratpack and Slipmatt, I'm in (I'm not)! :rave:
My Jnr wants to go to this, he can't he's too young, but he's been banging on for ages that I should go (I think he's expecting me to stand there with my phone and film it for him :lolol:). When he 1st said about it a couple of months ago, I thought it was some Twitter/Insta crap and said it can't be as The Sanctuary is now something like a furniture store. Is it in the place they used to have as an 'add on'. We went just before it closed, the Oldskool tent was a bit of a shambles as the power kept cutting out and the music was so quiet we could talk to each other without shouting, elf n safety innit.
Slipmatt also played somewhere last year that was 'Over 40's only', I liked that idea, they probably would've provided comfy chairs! :giggle:
Don't forget to take your whistle, the 'yoof' don't get it, so the tradition needs to be passed on! I've just shown Jnr the flyer to check it's the right one, he confirmed it's the one and has now gone upstairs to mix some Oldskool vinyl. Listening to it down here, where you can only hear bass, makes me want to ring my mum and apologise! :unsure:

The 90's for me. Early 90's raving, the late 90's were totally different and not as much fun but made me in a different way.
They've already sent out an email saying it's a strictly no phones event so people will be forced to have fun instead of documenting their every move. I hope I can get a couple of photos at least as I can't see me doing another event after this one.
The sanctuary is now an IKEA and I believe the rollers has gone (the one over the other side of the car park). This is actually the conference halls which I believe is part of the MK Dons stadium but it's still on V7 Saxon Street.
Already got my bucket hat and whistle at the ready. Very much looking forward to reliving my technodrome days with a bit of Clarkee, Scorpio and Producer, not looking forward to aching for days after.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
80's without a doubt, left school in 81 and went straight into the Royal Navy at 16. Less than a year later I am at war in the Falklands. 85 saw us getting shot at again by Iran and Iraq while trying to guard the Straits of Hurmuz in the Gulf. In 8 years I served on 3 different ships and a few shore bases, travelled the world and got paid for doing it.

Medical discharge from the Navy in 1989 having been involved in a crash on the M25. I was broken down on the hard shoulder sat on my motorbike, fire brigade on their way to a an accident further round the motorway and were using the hard shoulder to get there, ran over me and the bike. 7 months in hospital and they decided I would never be fit enough to go to sea again.

I had to sue Surrey County Council as it was their fire brigade that ran me over, local paper in Littlehampton wrote a story about me and being ex Navy and not being able to get a job. A guy who owned a golf distribution company and was also ex Navy saw the story, contacted my solicitor and said he would give me a job....That was 34 years ago and I'm still here now....

Had an amazing 25 odd years of partying and travelling right up to 2007, needed a good excuse to slow down a bit and so our daughter was born. Slowed us down for a bit but now I'm going to gigs and football with her...reliving my youth..lol..

If I hadn't gone the Navy route back in 81 I would have most probably ended up dead or in jail. Saved my bacon joining up and I still miss it, a lot.
from the Gulf to the Golf. A nice story.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
Definitely 80’s
Started get some real confidence and at 20 to 22 got very drunk at football. Then had my first serious relationship bought a house. Got told I loved The Albion more than her and well.
Met my wife in 86 ( Brighton supporting family )
Had my first child in 89….. Mrs Q didnt want me to go on The Gulls Eye coach to Plymouth but I went and only just got home. That’s a story for another day
So Im going 80’s
It was all in that decade
I’ve just remembered something…… we got arrested coming back from the Peterborough cup game in February 86. Arrested in Cambridge… that’s for another day as well,
Yeah that’s why she left me I forgot
That Plymouth coach was a mental day out.those were the proper days in my book even though we were pretty shite.Cant remember getting home lol.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
They've already sent out an email saying it's a strictly no phones event so people will be forced to have fun instead of documenting their every move. I hope I can get a couple of photos at least as I can't see me doing another event after this one.
The sanctuary is now an IKEA and I believe the rollers has gone (the one over the other side of the car park). This is actually the conference halls which I believe is part of the MK Dons stadium but it's still on V7 Saxon Street.
Already got my bucket hat and whistle at the ready. Very much looking forward to reliving my technodrome days with a bit of Clarkee, Scorpio and Producer, not looking forward to aching for days after.
That was it, Rollers. He knows I wouldn't film it, I took him to FBS at the Brighton Centre last year, let him film the first few minutes then took him near the front right in the middle of it, made him put his phone away & taught him to 'Rave'. He was shocked at 1st, he didn't quite know what to make of his parent 'dancing' like that. It was a bit surreal, I started off telling him to watch everyone else, he's a socially awkward teen who'd never 'dance'. After about 15 mins I just told him to close his eyes & 'feel it', that worked!
Quite odd having to be so alert to everything around me, even switching sides so the drunken twat who was struggling to stand, couldn't fall into him, just so he could stay in the moment. He didn't last the whole set, I think he managed just over an hour, the sweat was pouring off of him (I'm disappointed with my child). I told him to go back to where our friends were and joined them when it finished.
You probably won't ache, your body will naturally adapt to not being able to bounce for anytime longer than a couple of minutes at a time and you'll find yourself putting your arms in the air far more than what you did a few years ago! :lolol:
Enjoy, I'm finding myself very jealous! 🙂

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would have said the 90s. Moving to London in the late 80s opened my eyes to many things and changed my politics forever but the 90s was when I “grew” the most.

That said, it’s going to be this decade which “makes me”. As some of you know I ended 2022 with a damaged spinal cord and paralyzed and in hospital for 5 and a half months. Almost 18 months later I still can’t walk without assistance and my outcome is unknown. With all this crap going on it is a challenge but it will be the true making of me I think.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That Plymouth coach was a mental day out.those were the proper days in my book even though we were pretty shite.Cant remember getting home lol.
Ian and the police picked me and Larry up staggering around drunk in Yeovil. Great day.
The chief of Plymouth police met us to tell us we were not staying in a Plymouth drinking. He had a US carrier in dock and a couple of British friggits as well. No way we’re getting in the way he barked at us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here