Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where Seagulls Fly - Johnny Wakelin

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Seeing the Everton game and hearing a few of the songs they play pre and post match, it got me thinking about grounds that play more traditional old school football related songs and reminded me of this one for us... Should it be added to our matchday song list? I'd be up for seeing how it sounds. Traditions have got to start somewhere...

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Johnny Wakelin was a cab driver in later years, I met him a couple of times when he was waiting for repairs to be done at my brother's garage.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Any other old-timers remember a song from about 1977 by ...... no, can't remember his name (Ted Young?). It was called 'Seagulls' and the words went something like:

"The Albion can get around,
Bring back the goodies to the Goldstone ground,
We're moving!
Come on the lads get mo-o-o-ving!
We've got places to go,
Teams to beat,
Look at the football,
Ain't it neat?

Seagulls!
Flying high,
Seagulls!
[Something something]
The one and only Seagulls,
Fill the skies!"

Leaving aside the Goldstone reference the rest is still accurate! I used to have it as a 45rpm single. (That was a type of gramophone record for those of you born after about 1990).

EDIT: I just googled it and it was indeed Ted Young! You can hear it on Youtube. Go on, give yourselves a treat!
EDIT2: I didn't get all the words quite right in the chorus.
I remember it well. On a Sunday morning they would play it on Radio Brighton in the '70s. I remember listening to it before Junior Church each week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here