Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Alexis going? (Liverpool - for an undisclosed fee...)

Where is Alexis going?

• Total voters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
And in reality, if a club have decided they do not want to renew contracts with a player, they tell the agent that he is free to talk to whoever.
Also, isn’t there a 6 month rule whereby players whose contracts are due to expire within 6 months are free to negotiate with whomever they want?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Also, isn’t there a 6 month rule whereby players whose contracts are due to expire within 6 months are free to negotiate with whomever they want?
I guess so - as presumably we have been for Milner - but you can sign a pre-agreement for an overseas club within 6 months of expiry

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
On a point of information, David Ornstein, as mentioned by Andy Naylor, wrote of the so-called 'release clause' last month that: "This is thought not to be a typical release clause other clubs may simply trigger, leaving the player to choose their next step, but a more complex feature that gives Brighton a say over the outcome. As a result, the situation is not a foregone conclusion and there is no agreement in place for Mac Allister to leave the Amex Stadium."

But the only people who know for sure are TB, PB and Ally Mac's people.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Apologies if fixtures, but what if another club betters the buy out figure? Surely Albion should be able to sell to the highest bidder, provided Alexis can agree personal terms with them?

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Apologies if fixtures, but what if another club betters the buy out figure? Surely Albion should be able to sell to the highest bidder, provided Alexis can agree personal terms with them?

That's what i was thinking, if there is some sort of release at 45k (which I'm still not convinced about) then shirley there'd be other clubs interested at that price bracket?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
To be fair, when Caicedo was told he wasn’t going in January, he shut up and played football too. Very well. Both well entitled to move on if it’s what they want.

For me, the issue is always the “agents”. There should be a cap of £25k on what they earn (or even better, ban them entirely) then they might actually look out for a player rather than their own pockets

True, although knowing he was going next window he had no choice but to crack on really, it's not like the club were forcing him to stay for a year or two.

It was a great move from RDZ and the club to tell him to go have a mini break until the windows over, as you're not leaving this window but still made clear he could leave in the summer. It kept all parties happy and told other clubs to not even bother coming back in.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That's what i was thinking, if there is some sort of release at 45k (which I'm still not convinced about) then shirley there'd be other clubs interested at that price bracket?
The 45m figure is a load of bolllocks. Fibz has said the release clause is significantly less than 60m, someone has plucked an arbitrary figure out of their arse and it’s proliferated via retweets.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Officially, yes, the club should have had permission from Liverpool to talk to any player still under contract, and as a club we probably did at some point, as we tend to be respectful of the rules, but the reality is that a certain amount of info would have been exchanged between player and club before the club would bother asking.
Also, perhaps not relevant, but a player with 6 months or less of contract remaining can talk to clubs outside of the Association they currently play in without any permission required from the club he is contracted too, a club perhaps in the Belgian League would not be in trouble with FIFA for talking to Milner or any other player outside of the Belgian Leagues, with less than 6 months of contract remaining.
Actually I believe we didn't have to seek permission from Liverpool to talk to Milner once he had less than 3 months on his contract.

Bosman ruling means that a player can negotiate with teams in a different country 6 months before their contract ends. In the same country it's 3 months before the end of the contract.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Talksport saying we're being rinsed. I hope they at least put a clause in the contract that he can't play against us in Europe.
:)

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
My thoughts exactly.

Plus, if this supposed release clause is lower than £45/50m like Fabrizio says it is, then what was the point in the new contract we gave Mac before the World Cup?

It all doesn't add up.
The point of the new contract was to get some money instead of him going on a free.

The lower release clause is because it's the only way he'd likely sign a new contract.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
True, although knowing he was going next window he had no choice but to crack on really, it's not like the club were forcing him to stay for a year or two.

it was a great move from RDZ and the club to tell go have a mini break until the windows over, as you're not leaving this window but still made clear he could leave in the summer. It all kept all parties happy and told other clubs to not even bother coming back in.
I agree. It was very well handled by both player and club. A nearly very good example of how to get a move (bar the social media post which I believe was agents anyway). Ask for a move, agree it behind closed doors, let it “slip” that a summer move may be possible and get in with working hard and playing well.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
In a standard 'release clause' that figure is the maximum. Any buying club can pay that much, and not a penny more, to sign the player from the selling club. The selling club has no further say over it and no opportunity to further profit, with the ultimate buyer solely down to the player's pick of the personal offers.

It is however stated by David Ornstein (and repeated by Andy Naylor) that this isn't what's in play here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here