Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Where does terrorism go from here?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
A reminder tonight that, in this bizarre, blinkered world focusing on an invisible enemy, that terrorism still exists:

https://news.sky.com/story/canada-a...d-after-mass-shooting-in-nova-scotia-11975680

However, if the currency of terrorism is shock, it’s current value is low. In normal times, a double digit death toll via terrorism is headline news. Tonight, when I’m the UK alone almost six hundred people died at the hands of a rampant virus, a figure ‘celebrated’ as the lowest in two weeks, somehow double digits suddenly seem a bit ‘meh’. We’ve been desensitised.

So where does terrorism go from here? Give up? Go big? Or take inspiration? What would happen for instance, if instead of flying an airliner into a skyscraper, you flew a smaller, more accessible aircraft into a research facility containing a wealth of lethal pathogens?

Strange times indeed, but I do wonder what the try COVID-19 legacy might look like in the long-term.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It is a fair question, but why do you think that incident is terrorism?

Valid point. It was an example, possibly a poor one, I don’t know. It may well not be. Either way, we know that terrorist groups still exist, so regardless I wonder in which direction they will move.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Since the word terrorism is used wherever people feel like, it could go anywhere. Bombing a mall or letting three dogs out of a dysfunctional kennel for animal rights reasons, both are terrorist acts if you/your government wants it to be.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Terrorists are mostly doing what we are right now, seeing where all this ends up I imagine. However, the type of incident you mention regarding research facility sabotage is definitely worrying.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
A reminder tonight that, in this bizarre, blinkered world focusing on an invisible enemy, that terrorism still exists:

https://news.sky.com/story/canada-a...d-after-mass-shooting-in-nova-scotia-11975680

However, if the currency of terrorism is shock, it’s current value is low. In normal times, a double digit death toll via terrorism is headline news. Tonight, when I’m the UK alone almost six hundred people died at the hands of a rampant virus, a figure ‘celebrated’ as the lowest in two weeks, somehow double digits suddenly seem a bit ‘meh’. We’ve been desensitised.

So where does terrorism go from here? Give up? Go big? Or take inspiration? What would happen for instance, if instead of flying an airliner into a skyscraper, you flew a smaller, more accessible aircraft into a research facility containing a wealth of lethal pathogens?

Strange times indeed, but I do wonder what the try COVID-19 legacy might look like in the long-term.

Please don't describe this as 'meh'. This is likely our country's worst ever massacre. It has shaken some of us to the core. Not meh at all, even in the Covid crisis. Covid deaths aren't deliberately planned and executed.

DavePage

There is a terrific amount of mental health over here ( or at least that I have seen in the parts of Ontario where I live), I never really looked at mental heath in the UK when I was there, I don’t know if it’s the culture of rural towns slowly becoming cities or what. Woodstock is now nearing 40000, but even when they had lees than half of that they had a large asylum (long since closed and now a recreation centre for a new housing development).
It’s good not to institutionalize at will, but unless the individual recognizers that they need help and ask for it, they may not be helped.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Valid point. It was an example, possibly a poor one, I don’t know. It may well not be. Either way, we know that terrorist groups still exist, so regardless I wonder in which direction they will move.

Jihadi John moved in a million directions all at once in Raqqa when a missile landed on his head.

I have no regrets in adding a LOL and a snigger to that information.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
People are inviting terrorists into their homes daily. The feckin news media, doing their best to scare people shitless all the time.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I agree, the Canadian shooting appears more criminal than terror. In fact the terrorism "industry " appears on the back burner . Whats the point in shooting up an empty mall? And there are precious few planes flying.
(I hope to God that I am not tempting fate by writing this! )

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Terrorism was always a boon to governments, so that they could whip up fear amongst the general public, and distract their attention away from things that really matter. And if I was being trite, I'd say like preparing for pandemics, but it was climate change, the anthropocene and proliferating inequalities that I had in mind three months ago. Hopefully, the public will become somewhat more aware that terrorism is not as prominent an issue as they feared, and we can turn our attention to those issues that should be higher up the scale. To just put this in perspective, more people will die in the UK today of CV19 as have died in the last two decades of terrorism and, in all probability, since WW2.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
With any luck they'll blow themselves up in their own houses whilst following a 'Work from home' advisory from the government.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Please don't describe this as 'meh'. This is likely our country's worst ever massacre. It has shaken some of us to the core. Not meh at all, even in the Covid crisis. Covid deaths aren't deliberately planned and executed.

This. Though sadly the world at the current time will be seeing this in shooter terms of Canada being Amerika Lite. No nice way to put it, unfortunately. Guess Canada just lost it's massacre virginity, same as every country does eventually. Even places like New Zealand. Guess in the end nowhere is a completely safe haven from shit that happens

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This. Though sadly the world at the current time will be seeing this in shooter terms of Canada being Amerika Lite. No nice way to put it, unfortunately. Guess Canada just lost it's massacre virginity, same as every country does eventually. Even places like New Zealand. Guess in the end nowhere is a completely safe haven from shit that happens

Terrorism will always be a human failing, whether there is an alternate event going on or not.
People will always have a grievance against something they believe / disbelieve in, its in our nature.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Terrorism will always be a human failing, whether there is an alternate event going on or not.
People will always have a grievance against something they believe / disbelieve in, its in our nature.

A rather large step away from killing innocent people though isn't it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here