Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Mondat

Votes: 76 84.4%

• Total voters

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So you're saying that up until 1988 everyone thought Sunday was the first day of the week and not part of the weekend?
Most calendars started on a Sunday

Have a look. Whether you agree or not it was a fact.

https://www.google.com/search?q=197...z=1CAVARX_enGB1008GB1008#imgrc=tsV02ClUGAvyQM

Also many on here going on about working day starts on Mon to Friday. Really?
I've never been in a job that works within that time frame.

What does weekend mean?​

The weekend is most commonly considered the period between Friday evening and the end of Sunday.
More strictly speaking, the weekend is thought to consist of Saturday and Sunday (often regardless of whether the calendar week is considered to begin on Sunday or Monday).
In practical terms, the weekend is typically considered to be the period between the end of the workweek (or school week) and the beginning of a new one—which is why most people consider their weekend to start on Friday night, after work or school.
Of course, not everyone works a Monday-to-Friday schedule. A person who normally works on the weekend (on Saturday and Sunday) will probably consider any two-day stretch that they don’t have to work as their weekend.
Any additional days off on either side of a weekend are often considered part of the weekend. For example, a day off for a holiday on Friday or Monday will result in a three-day weekend. Or you could take off on Monday and Tuesday for a long weekend.
Weekend
can also be used as an adjective in reference to something that happens on a weekend (as in a weekend session), lasts only for a weekend (as in a weekend trip), or only applies during a weekend (as in weekend hours).
Much less commonly, weekend can be used as a verb meaning to spend a weekend somewhere, as in We like to weekend in the Hamptons. This sense can sound a bit fancy or even pretentious (the same thing can be said about summer when it’s used as a verb).
The word weekends can be used as an adverb meaning every weekend or on or during weekends, as in I work weekends, so I always miss my son’s Saturday games.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s Thursday in our house… It’s shepherds in naked Friday which we’ve all adhered to for generations in the Questions households.

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
I was surprised at the poll, I've spent my whole life believing Sunday was officially the start of the week. Monday was always the logical/sensible start. I had no idea that ISO had changed this in 1988, I can breath easy now that I know common sense prevailed. Got to love NSC sometimes.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I was surprised at the poll, I've spent my whole life believing Sunday was officially the start of the week. Monday was always the logical/sensible start. I had no idea that ISO had changed this in 1988, I can breath easy now that I know common sense prevailed. Got to love NSC sometimes.
Yes same as me. Though some feel it needs to be posted with insults to those of yesteryear that understand the norm to be different to their belief.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Thanks for the replies. Course Monday is the start of the week...I just need to explain to a colleague that when he says 'next Sunday' he's actually referring to this Sunday coming i.e. the Sunday of 'this' week.
Don't start that one again! We had a thread all about 'when is next Sunday' (or one of the days anyway) - and there was no agreed answer....

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
And the meal you eat in the evening is called tea, not f*****g "dinner". Dinner is something you have half way through the day.

If anyone disagrees with me - I'll scream.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And the meal you eat in the evening is called tea, not f*****g "dinner". Dinner is something you have half way through the day.

If anyone disagrees with me - I'll scream.
never been to a restaurant with a lunch and dinner menu?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here