Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats with all route 1 passing?

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Our failure to win the second ball at corners,free kicks or long balls was very evident again today,but this was a problem under Gus aswell. Derby are not the most physical of teams either. So Oscar needs to think about this if we are to play this way and look at the stats.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I tweeted earlier and stand by my view. We seem to be a really disjointed team at the moment, we are getting caught at the back but at the same time we aren't high enough to break/attack. Ulloa is coming way too deep most of the time. Rumours of Greer to Leeds, wouldn't be a bad thing imo, IF we were to get a centreback with pace to play alongside Upson.

Yesterday was strange, Kuzszcak seemed like having a dodgy game (everyone allowed 1 or 2 a season really), the long ball was pointless and seems like Buckley has lost a lot of his pace and playing way too narrow. We seem clumped in middle of the park.

However, 100% I will trust Garcia and he has my backing to turn it round. Were not fans if we don't have an opinion on how we have done.

A fair summary. I felt we lacked balance at back which meant very little width, no surging runs like Bruno or Bridge meant most play came inside or was hit long...

I suppose will reserve judgement til end of transfer window. BUT very worrying how no options on bench for striker... Risky considering Ulloa wants to get involved with refs back chatting and he had little incident yesterday which got him a booking...(let's face it, he is injured/suspended then we have a massive problem)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I love the complaints about lack of width once we were losing. It was so much more fun last season with Lua Lua and Buckley standing on the touchline watching Ulloa battling 2 defenders with no support.

Or those frequent runs to the byline with a cross that went behind the massed ranks of our two players that had got into the box!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I tweeted earlier and stand by my view. We seem to be a really disjointed team at the moment, we are getting caught at the back but at the same time we aren't high enough to break/attack. Ulloa is coming way too deep most of the time. Rumours of Greer to Leeds, wouldn't be a bad thing imo, IF we were to get a centreback with pace to play alongside Upson.

Yesterday was strange, Kuzszcak seemed like having a dodgy game (everyone allowed 1 or 2 a season really), the long ball was pointless and seems like Buckley has lost a lot of his pace and playing way too narrow. We seem clumped in middle of the park.

However, 100% I will trust Garcia and he has my backing to turn it round. Were not fans if we don't have an opinion on how we have done.

That's the way I saw the game.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

pretty much agree with this.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I love the complaints about lack of width once we were losing. It was so much more fun last season with Lua Lua and Buckley standing on the touchline watching Ulloa battling 2 defenders with no support.

Or those frequent runs to the byline with a cross that went behind the massed ranks of our two players that had got into the box!

what i want to see is just some progression to what gus implemented, like you say, we always went through the wings last season (and often neglected going through the middle) and often nothing came of it, we where often too defensive to. i was hoping og would build on last year and be more aggressive, using quicker build up play and go through the middle alot more, using quick passes not long balls. early days though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
From the argus article with ulloa

Ulloa, who also hit the inside of the post yesterday, is enjoying the service being provided by Oscar Garcia's team.

He said: “The coach wants to play with the ball on the ground, he wants to make space for the wide players and he wants us to get the ball into the area.

“But it takes time to get into rhythm."​

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10605152.Ulloa__We_ll_put_things_right/

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I didn't think it was long ball, except from the keeper but more two or three touch which looked rushed and a lack of composure on the ball. When the keeper did punt the ball down the pitch and Ulloa won his flick on Barnes or Buckley never got behind him to run on.

It's all new to the players and us the fans however it will come good in time.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I know the team gotta gel and its early days, but we where defo not on the same wave length at all today.

Not liking all the long balls, seem we where just hitting and hoping, even Kuszczak was lumping the ball out from goal kicks, before he would play it out, god knows how many times we lost possession.

Hope this aint the formula for the season, was more Sam Aallardyce than Spanish flar was hoping for.

Dead right, way too many hit and hopes on Saturday.

I actually wouldn't have minded quite as much if the balls into the box had been hit with any purpose, but most of them were simply floated in, making it easy for their keeper or centre backs.

Needs to get a whole lot better.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
what i want to see is just some progression to what gus implemented, like you say, we always went through the wings last season (and often neglected going through the middle) and often nothing came of it, we where often too defensive to. i was hoping og would build on last year and be more aggressive, using quicker build up play and go through the middle alot more, using quick passes not long balls. early days though.

I think that's the nail hit squarely on the head.

Swift interplay , setting up the striker is precisely what we want.
However, it's bloody difficult to achieve and needs players that can think and pass quickly and accurately.

Think Barcelona, think Wenger's boys from a few years back when they were unbeatable.

It's probably the Holy Grail of attacking football.

If Oscar achieves it we will win lots and lots of games.

If he fails, we will probably be lumping it to the big lad and hoping something happens.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I think that's the nail hit squarely on the head.

Swift interplay , setting up the striker is precisely what we want.
However, it's bloody difficult to achieve and needs players that can think and pass quickly and accurately.

Think Barcelona, think Wenger's boys from a few years back when they were unbeatable.

It's probably the Holy Grail of attacking football.

If Oscar achieves it we will win lots and lots of games.

This is correct. It is the holy grail of football and you need to have players who have intelligent movement and the players who can pick those passes. You also have to learn to press for 90 minutes if you play this way in order to get the ball back.
We have some pieces missing in this jigsaw at the moment but given time that may well improve.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I tweeted earlier and stand by my view. We seem to be a really disjointed team at the moment,

I agree we did look a bit disjointed on Saturday but looking at the starting line up it was almost predictable it was going to be like that, We had a left back making his league debut for us and a right back who was likely to be suffering a bit of a hangover from the incident in the Newport game and in the midfield three we again had one player making his league debut and the other two who never had a proper pre season an didn't really look match fit. If you take into account the substitutions we ended up with four players making league debuts for us during the game. What disappointed me the most was the poor performances of Kuszczak, Greer and Barnes, With the line up we had the other day they are the sort of players you expect to step up to the task ( especially Greer as captain ) But to me they all seemed to go missing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here