Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] What was the first Sporting event you remember?

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Sporting v Inter Milan Aug 14 2002 is my first “sporting” memory. Champions League quali and the game marked the debut of a certain CR7. When he name was announced as he came on as a sub most in the crowd thought they had signed the chubbier version and were mildly disappointed when Cristiano entered the fray.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Probably the 1978 World Cup, though don’t remember it too well. If the Royal Tournament field gun race counts, that too.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
1973 FA Cup Final. Sunderland 1 v 0 Leeds.

My Mum told me that she and Dad were getting a divorce about an hour before kick off. All I could say was "Why are you telling me on FA Cup Final Day? It's going to ruin the game!"

I reminded Mum of this sequence of events about 30 years later and she had no recollection of it! They remained married until Dad died in 2007, and Mum is still going strong at 96.

DavePage

The 1910 Charity Shield match, marvellous scenes. Managed to snaffle Bullet Jones’s shirt as he chucked it into the crowd. :whistle:

Was it PotG?

No I clearly remembering him hold a piece of wood (because he didn’t have cardboard) with the wording, “Jonesy, it’s my birthday can I have your shirt”
Seems to have started a trend, Orient fans at the time were taking wooden toilet seats to the ground, thrusting the into the air every time they scored a goal, on bad days they would thrush them in a show of how shit the team was.
History eh?

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Before I really got interested in football, I remember having a pee in the public toilets on Sandbanks Beach and listening to a couple of people talking about the latest score in the 1974 World Cup Final.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My dad and the next door neighbour shooting pigeons from the eaves of our roof when I was about 3. I think it was sporting.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
National - the England v Windies test series in 63
Local - Sussex beating the Windies in 66. I'd been to the County Ground a couple of times before this but can't remember much about the games, but this one stood out.
International - the 1966 World Cup, what else?
I was there on the Saturday for the Sussex v Windies game. If my memory is correct, Windies, including the great Gary Sobers, were bowled out for about 125 with Sussex making about 180. Windies then made about 60 odd in second innings, and Sussex won by 9 wickets.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Only half remembered as someone who's age was in single figures in the late 1940s. I was taken to a football match in Rottingdean in which my father was playing for a team from Shoreham. The big memory problem was the venue as I am sure it was between the village and the windmill which was behind us as we watched the match. However a look at the current Google map makes it seem doubtful that it could have been where I thought it was.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Although I had been vaguely aware of various matches/events going on, the first one I took proper interest in was the 1970 World Cup in Mexico and some bloke called Pele who played for Brazil, my older brother who was much more informed than me said he was shitehouse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure exactly but I remember watching the Argentinian World Cup and thinking it looked so far away and exotic. In those days tv from 7000 miles away looked exactly like it was 7000 miles away.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
An American College Gridiron football game but I couldn't tell you who the two sides were but the team wearing white won the match and my father was happy about the result. After the game he went to a building and talked to some of the players on the team that wore white and one of the players let me toss around a gridiron football. It was about 1967 or 68.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here