Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What kind of feathered friend is this?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
There's a section of decking in our back garden which I haven't got round to painting yet (we recently moved in) with a steel beamed section. There's a little ledge on it and every night for the past 4 nights (when I let the dog out for her bedtime tiddle) - this little fella is staring at me!

Clearly he (or she) feels safe there, and the little tinker is most welcome to stay there - but I've absolutely no idea what breed it is, or if I can maybe leave some food there as a little treat to be there waiting when it checks in at the 'Steelbeam Hotel'.. The nights are cold, dark and windy here so I'd like to treat my guests properly in case there's a bird based 'Tripadvisor'. :sneaky:

Any ideas, anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_4297.jpeg
    IMG_4297.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 172

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
No idea, but 2,000 points for using the word ‘tiddle,’ one that should be used more widely. In my workplace going for a ‘tactical tiddle’ is used when there’s some incoming strife you fancy avoiding by heading out to the khazi for a ‘J Carroll.’

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Having had a good look it seems like a Black Redstart (female). If you get a chance check the under tail to see any reddish colour and when the birds lands the tail 'twitches'.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Looks like a Black Redstart. They occasionally overwinter on the coast. If it's got a red tail then that's what it is. Female or first winter male....

I see you're probably not on the coast ☺️ They can turn up anywhere as they make their way south for the winter.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Not sure it is a garden warbler as RSPB website says this : 'Despite its name it is not really a garden bird, except in mature gardens next to woods. Its song is similar to that of a blackcap, but has longer mellow phrases.'

I think serious birdwatchers describe these as SBJs: small brown jobs.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Not sure it is a garden warbler as RSPB website says this : 'Despite its name it is not really a garden bird, except in mature gardens next to woods. Its song is similar to that of a blackcap, but has longer mellow phrases.'
It was my guess that it’s a Garden warbler. We get them in our garden spring and autumn as they migrate in and out of the uk. As it has been so warm this autumn maybe it’s a late departure.
I am happy to go along with the redstart suggestion but the red tail would be a clincher.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Your confusing the bird with what his dog leaves in the garden

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There's a section of decking in our back garden which I haven't got round to painting yet (we recently moved in) with a steel beamed section. There's a little ledge on it and every night for the past 4 nights (when I let the dog out for her bedtime tiddle) - this little fella is staring at me!

Clearly he (or she) feels safe there, and the little tinker is most welcome to stay there - but I've absolutely no idea what breed it is, or if I can maybe leave some food there as a little treat to be there waiting when it checks in at the 'Steelbeam Hotel'.. The nights are cold, dark and windy here so I'd like to treat my guests properly in case there's a bird based 'Tripadvisor'. :sneaky:

Any ideas, anyone?
It's a Wren.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here