Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What is your best album of the Decade ?

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
In no order:

1. P. J. Harvey Let England Shake
2. Killing Joke Absolute Dissent
3. Half Man Half Biscuit No-One Cares About Your Creative Hub So Get Your F****** Hedge Cut
4. Black Sabbath 13
5. David Bowie Blackstar
6. Mark Lanegan Gargoyle
7. Sharon Van Etten Remind Me Tomorrow
8. Ezra Furman Transangelic Exodus
9. Mitski Be The Cowboy
10 Sparks Hippopotamus

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let England Shake is a good call but, at present, I'm struggling to see beyond these two:
Michael Kiwanuka -- Love & Hate
Ty Segall -- Manipulator (although I'm waning a bit on this one)
The one that is really creeping up on me is A Moon Shaped Pool

Not heard Michael Kiwanuka* but I won’t argue with the other two.

PS this exercise is as much a test of which albums I can remember.

* this will shortly and easily be remedied.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
As You Were - Liam Gallagher
Anthems for Doomed Youth - The Libertines
Erratic Cinematic - Gerry Cinnamon
Come of Age - The Vaccines

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
A lot of love for Let England Shake here, which is fine because it's a great album.

But in my opinion not even the best PJ Harvey album of the decade - The Hope Six Demolition Project totally eclipses it.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
My favourites:

Disclosure - Settle
Calvin Harris - 18 Months
Mark Ronson - Late Night Feelings

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
61AdDg1ppCL._SY450_.jpg 61dRQ2UGBGL._SY355_.jpg joanshelley_liketheriverlovesthesea.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I looked through the whole of the NME top 100 of the 10s and can only pick out the Suburbs by Arcade Fire and Born to Die by Lana Del Rey as albums I know and like :down:

I will give the number 1 AM by the Artic Monkeys a listen but everything I’ve heard of theirs has always left me cold, but hey ho if it’s arguably the best album of the decade I’ll give it a whirl

I looked through that list as well and was delighted to find many of my favourites on it, though what they see in The 1975 I have no idea. Anyway, I'm struggling to pick between the two I've played the most (LCD Soundsystem / This is Happening and The War on Drugs / Lost in the Dream) with the Idols album which is fantastic but newer, and therefore has been played a bit less. Steve Mason's Boys Outside was 2010 (I had to check) and I'm amazed that's not on there as that's my other one for the decade. I got it on CD via a recommendation from Rounder Records. How times really do change :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I looked through that list as well and was delighted to find many of my favourites on it, though what they see in The 1975 I have no idea. Anyway, I'm struggling to pick between the two I've played the most (LCD Soundsystem / This is Happening and The War on Drugs / Lost in the Dream) with the Idols album which is fantastic but newer, and therefore has been played a bit less. Steve Mason's Boys Outside was 2010 (I had to check) and I'm amazed that's not on there as that's my other one for the decade. I got it on CD via a recommendation from Rounder Records. How times really do change :(

This Is Happening, a classic. And The War on Drugs wins song-during-a-gig-which-I-never-ever-wanted-to-end award with An Ocean in Between the Waves. I’d happily still be there now listening to it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got it on CD via a recommendation from Rounder Records.

Such a shame when Rounder closed. They introduced me to so much music over the decades. Does anyone know what happened to Jonny and Steve? Total gents; hope theyre doing something good somewhere.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I looked through the whole of the NME top 100 of the 10s and can only pick out the Suburbs by Arcade Fire and Born to Die by Lana Del Rey as albums I know and like :down:

I will give the number 1 AM by the Artic Monkeys a listen but everything I’ve heard of theirs has always left me cold, but hey ho if it’s arguably the best album of the decade I’ll give it a whirl

I used to like arctic monkeys, and am impressed by the man's talent. But he started making me think of Tommy Steele and Robbie Williams when I heard him and, like Kylie, I coudn't keep that thought out of my head. Consequently, as I kept hitting 'next' when random play popped them up, I took all their stuff of my iTunes.iPods. There is only one other band I have done that to: the Beatles. Annoying and m'eh.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here