Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is the point of the coin toss before kick-off?

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Well, just that really. Why should choosing an end to attack be a thing? Or kicking the ball back from the centre spot?

Let's get rid.

It will also make my son's job easier when he refs on a Sunday and stop him tipping the jar of coppers out all over the kitchen table and having to settle for a stray Euro to use.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It will also make my son's job easier when he refs on a Sunday and stop him tipping the jar of coppers out all over the kitchen table and having to settle for a stray Euro to use.
Tell him to get some ref coins, can get them off Amazon for a couple quid. Much nicer and won't spray coins everywhere!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So nasty managers can potentially make us kick towards the north stand first half.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't have a problem with their being a coin toss but I did raise on Saturday at the Lewes game why it takes place just before kick off. Surely 15 minutes or so before makes sense. Our game didn't kick off till 15.03 and spend the first two minutes of every game moving ends

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
If not a coin, what should be tossed in the centre circle?
toss GIF

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well, just that really. Why should choosing an end to attack be a thing? Or kicking the ball back from the centre spot?

Let's get rid.

There is sometimes an advantage which will be greater or lesser at different stadiums, or in different weather conditions. Some pitches have a slope one end to the other, you might consider it an advantage to be playing downhill second half. The sun might be getting low in the sky second half and be in the Goalkeepers eyes, might be one end has your fans behind it, and you want that second half, maybe the pitch is shaded and one end is cold, but will warm up as the sun moves round, so the first half keeper at that end is disadvantaged.
Kick off is less of a worry, but you don't have to kick the ball back, it used to be the opposite, it had to go forward, but since 2016 you can kick it whichever way you want, and can score direct from the kick off, if you catch the keeper out.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Come on.

The chance to attack your own end in the second half. Loads to play for.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Let's get rid.

In the Albion Heritage Society magazine, there was a great piece a few years back with Gary Chivers. He told a story about a game down in Portsmouth where one half of the pitch was frozen and rock hard and the other half had thawed and was like a bog. He said you had to wear moudled boots for the first half and screw in studs in the 2nd half. They did the coin toss in the dressing room before the game, but had planned to do a fake one on the pitch for the fans (maybe the tv cameras, i can't remember if it was on tv or not). Portsmouth won the coin toss in the dressing room, but when they went out on the pitch Chivers called it right and choose to shoot the other way. When the ref pointed out that Porstsmouth had already won the toss, Chivers said "Oh its like that is it?" and played hard done by. The ref then gave every decision the Albion's way for the first half :LOL:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here