Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What is, the best song with absolutely dreck lyrics?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sky Arts showed the 1976 Beach Boys TV Special over Christmas and I sat through it again despite the cringe factor. The Beach Boys as people really are the epitome of uncool. Mike Love seems to be one of the worst human beings to have ever worked in popular music and dances like a geography teacher trying to paradoy Mick Jagger. The rest of them come across as fairly gauche, easily pliable, possibly even stupid. The special was made with Lorne Michaels. It shows Dennis Wilson randomly judging a beauty pageant and Al Jardine at a farm in the desert being harassed by goats. Worst of all is a skit where Dan Akroyd and John Belushi force Brian Wilson out of bed and down to the beach in his dressing gown, forcing him into the water to go surfing. Its horrible. Its supposed to be funny, but it just looks like bullying a mentally ill man for money. (Which if you read biographies, seems to sum up most of their post Smile career). They made arguably the greatest album of all time, yet their career is riddled with these awful concepts and embarrassing lyrics, usually when Love is allowed his way.

They are such a weird paradox. They are the greatest advert for not working with your family. The three brothers seem horribly damaged by their lunatic father. Most of them often seem to be utterly clueless about music, about culture and about the zeitgeist, but then they open their mouths and those harmonies come out, grown adults weep and Richard Dawkins wonders whether he has actually been right all along about this atheism lark.
Yes to all that. Poor Brian. And he was a genius. And Mike Love was a gold plated thundercunt who bullied Brian, demanding hits not 'shit' like Smile. FFS. Surf's Up remains a masterpiece. I saw them at Wembley in around 74 supporting Elton John and supported by The Eagles, Joe Walsh, Chakka Khan and Stackridge. Brian didn't appear as far as I recall.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I always kind of liked this in School's Out:

Well, we got no class
And we got no principals
And we got no intelligence
We can't even think of a word that rhymes,
Great Song with great lyrics - we can't even think of a word that rhymes.

Elected
has even better lyrics...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Predictably, some are using this thread to mention songs/acts/genre they despise. There’ve been plenty of those threads over the years.

Back on theme:

He's a spacer, a star chaser
A spacer
A spacer

He's a ladies man
Always greets with a kiss on the hand
Protects us all
At the ready to answer our call

In his own special way
He is gentle and kind, oppression he hates
Love in his eyes
My heart skips a beat when I'm by his side

A spacer
A spacer

In our galaxy
You can't trust everyone that you meet
I'm so lucky
He's the only one I'll ever need

He will blast off tonight
He puts his life on the line every time he's in flight
A man you can't trace
But our love will last beyond time and space

A spacer
A spacer
https://lyricstranslate.com

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Any song that includes 'cuts like a knife' in the lyric. Surely the most unimaginative, oft repeated line in christendom.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Poor old man, he had an accident with a 3 bar fire,
but that's OK,
because he wasnt very happy anyway.

Poor woman, strangled in her very own bed as she read,
But that's OK,
Because she was old and she would've died anyway...........

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Sky Arts showed the 1976 Beach Boys TV Special over Christmas and I sat through it again despite the cringe factor. The Beach Boys as people really are the epitome of uncool. Mike Love seems to be one of the worst human beings to have ever worked in popular music and dances like a geography teacher trying to paradoy Mick Jagger. The rest of them come across as fairly gauche, easily pliable, possibly even stupid. The special was made with Lorne Michaels. It shows Dennis Wilson randomly judging a beauty pageant and Al Jardine at a farm in the desert being harassed by goats. Worst of all is a skit where Dan Akroyd and John Belushi force Brian Wilson out of bed and down to the beach in his dressing gown, forcing him into the water to go surfing. Its horrible. Its supposed to be funny, but it just looks like bullying a mentally ill man for money. (Which if you read biographies, seems to sum up most of their post Smile career). They made arguably the greatest album of all time, yet their career is riddled with these awful concepts and embarrassing lyrics, usually when Love is allowed his way.

They are such a weird paradox. They are the greatest advert for not working with your family. The three brothers seem horribly damaged by their lunatic father. Most of them often seem to be utterly clueless about music, about culture and about the zeitgeist, but then they open their mouths and those harmonies come out, grown adults weep and Richard Dawkins wonders whether he has actually been right all along about this atheism lark.
I saw the Beach Boys with no Wilsons and Love in charge at the Brighton Centre in 2008, while on the whole I agree with most of what you say, they were still f***ing brilliant live...

...another paradox.

Jul 7, 2003
Reminded this morning of a really annoying line in the otherwise fantastic Thin Lizzy track Jailbreak.

‘Tonight there’s going to be a jailbreak, somewhere in the town’

Well, the jail is the most likely place surely?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
A young Michael Jackson singing in perfect falsetto really crap sugary lyrics about a

RAT 🐀

I used to say "I" and "me
Now it's "us", now it's "we"
I used to say "I" and "me"
Now it's "us", now it's "we"

ffs 🙄

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
RIP Marie Fredricksson

The lyrics are not great throughout the song but this bit stands out to me.

Fire in the ice
Naked to the t-bone
Is a lover's disguise
Banging on the head drum
Shaking like a mad bull
She's got the look

I still like the song mind.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Elenore - The Turtles

Elenore, gee I think you're swell
And you really do me well
You're my pride and joy et cetera.

They hated that song I remember them saying in a doco on them.

Didn't want to do it but the label wanted something like Happy Together as a similar themed single.

I still like it though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here